Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Secret agreement between LCBO & Beer Store - Star exclus

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Secret agreement between LCBO & Beer Store - Star exclus

Post by atomeyes »

read it and (literally) weep, boys and girls.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... witterfeed

Uncle Bobby

Post by Uncle Bobby »

Delicious reading....!

And frankly none of the details are a surprise to anyone who has dealt with either institution, either as a consumer or a supplier. The existence of the agreement itself, and its formerly secret nature, are also no surprise.

Is it a surprise that a government institution entered into an agreement to suppress competition? A little, but no worse than the oligopoly of banks, gas retailers and food retailers who function like a closed club in our country.

I am sorry. After not having posted here for ages, I am going to over-reach myself with overarching statements.

The only surprise is that they were stupid and hubristic enough to write this down. And that the document came to light at all.
Last edited by Uncle Bobby on Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
::::::::::::::::::::::
"It's ma-a-a-gic!"

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

atomeyes wrote:read it and (literally) weep, boys and girls.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... witterfeed

TL;DR: LCBO tries not sell 12-24 packs of beer.

That's not exactly news to any of us, nor would I argue that we want that reversed. If all else remains equal, that's just more SKUs/shelf space eaten up by the big guys anyway.

IF we have to live with a quasi-monopoly, I'd rather the beer store serve the masses their garbage (largely products from TBS owners anyway) and the LCBO function as a bottle shop of imported and OCB beer (which is sorta the way it ends up working anyway).

I don't know though, maybe these revelations are well-suited to getting Joe 12/24-Pack on-board with changes the rest of us want (albeit for different reasons), and that I can get behind.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

instantkamera wrote: TL;DR:
As a general rule, this should never be followed up by anything else in a comment.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Don't really think this is a "Star exclusive" as referenced in the title. The 'whistleblower' sent the document to me as well. Great read though. And more to come! :)

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Bytowner wrote:
instantkamera wrote: TL;DR:
As a general rule, this should never be followed up by anything else in a comment.
Im sorry that you unfamiliar with the common usage of 'tl;dr', allow me to enlighten you (or "LMGTFY", as it were):
TL;DR
TL;DR, an acronym for "Too long; didn't read", is Internet slang used in reply to a lengthy online message. It is also used at the beginning of a summary of such a message.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Restrain competition is against Federal law. We should petition Ottawa to break both institutions up as consumers are not being properly served.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

instantkamera wrote:
That's not exactly news to any of us, nor would I argue that we want that reversed. If all else remains equal, that's just more SKUs/shelf space eaten up by the big guys anyway.
It depends I suppose. Yes there could be less shelf space. On the other hand the beer store will give a reduced price if you buy 4 sixpacks of something that doesn't come in a 24. If the LCBO started doing that it could increase their beer sales.

Plus anything that puts the squeeze on the beer store and reduces the profits of the owners is a good thing. I know they talk about how TBS makes no profits, but as their sales drop it becomes less and less worth it for the owners to even bother with it. At some point there has to be a tipping point where it would just be easier for them to sell their beer in grocery stores.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Sounds like Molson and labatt threatened layoffs/plant closers/etc. and got the province to bend...

This is hardly news.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

northyorksammy wrote:Restrain competition is against Federal law. We should petition Ottawa to break both institutions up as consumers are not being properly served.
This is really the desired outcome. Anything short of that is risking switching the devil we know with the one we don't.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Kel Varnsen wrote:
instantkamera wrote:
It depends I suppose. Yes there could be less shelf space. On the other hand the beer store will give a reduced price if you buy 4 sixpacks of something that doesn't come in a 24. If the LCBO started doing that it could increase their beer sales.

Plus anything that puts the squeeze on the beer store and reduces the profits of the owners is a good thing. I know they talk about how TBS makes no profits, but as their sales drop it becomes less and less worth it for the owners to even bother with it. At some point there has to be a tipping point where it would just be easier for them to sell their beer in grocery stores.
The no profit thing is a joke IMO. In the Beer Store's annual report it says the following:
Service charges revenue is primarily earned based on the volume of products distributed at rates determined annually. The difference, if any, between service charges revenue and costs and expenses incurred is allocated among the owner-breweries in accordance with the terms of the shareholders’ agreement and recorded as an adjustment to service charges revenue.
Certainly seems like 'profit' goes back to the owners as a reduction in overall revenue to TBS. So it always looks like revenue will equal costs in the books, but the owners get a payout.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote:
The no profit thing is a joke IMO. In the Beer Store's annual report it says the following:
Service charges revenue is primarily earned based on the volume of products distributed at rates determined annually. The difference, if any, between service charges revenue and costs and expenses incurred is allocated among the owner-breweries in accordance with the terms of the shareholders’ agreement and recorded as an adjustment to service charges revenue.
Certainly seems like 'profit' goes back to the owners as a reduction in overall revenue to TBS. So it always looks like revenue will equal costs in the books, but the owners get a payout.
Even if there is technically no profit, the real plum here is the maintenance of the beer monopoly. They sell their beer to TBS at a profit, who then turn around and sell it to us as cheaply as they can. MolBatt is still making their money.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

2015 New Years Resolution: DO NOT BUY ANY BEER FROM LCBO OR TBS.

How many folks can make it happen?
I think I am going to give it a go.

Everything I want or need I can buy from the brewery or the US.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Popping down to the States every few weeks sounds great in principle, but it's ultimately a protest reserved for a privileged few who a) happen to live close to a brewery they can easily access; b) have access to transportation and those associated travel costs; c) and can afford to put down a significant amount of money up front for more beer on fewer trips.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

FEUO wrote:2015 New Years Resolution: DO NOT BUY ANY BEER FROM LCBO OR TBS.

How many folks can make it happen?
I think I am going to give it a go.

Everything I want or need I can buy from the brewery or the US.
Or start brewing your own!

Another thing, why are corporations and unions allowed to donate to political parties at the provincial level? This was outlawed years ago at the Federal level...