Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring Craft Beer Release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Heelch is in stock now. Anyone know the best before on it?

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote: Cabin Fever.....are straight up awful.
Really? I was hoping to try this one. What's so bad about it?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I liked this one..

S. St. Jeb wrote:
cratez wrote: Cabin Fever.....are straight up awful.
Really? I was hoping to try this one. What's so bad about it?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Really? I was hoping to try this one. What's so bad about it?
I just found it to be very mediocre and not nearly as hoppy and robust as I expect a "double" Black IPA to be (see Sublimely Self Righteous, Dark Penance, Hoppy Feet 1.5, Dark Hops, NightTime, etc). I also thought the malt profile was quite muddled, bordering on unpleasant. I realize it has high-ish ratings on BA, but it didn't do anything for me.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I enjoyed it enough to buy a couple more bottles. Good stuff imo.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

jp_jkl wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
rfrf wrote:bottle date on the Moralite I just grabbed is jan 28.
I still can't fathom how it takes 7 weeks to get a shipment of beer form Montreal on the LCBO shelves. Bottles on Jan 28 should have been on the shelf by Feb 15.
When Moralite arrives in Ottawa and area LCBOs, is it driven down the 401, tested in the warehouse/lab, then driven back up the 401 and placed on shelves?
  • Been drinking the moralite pretty steady since they arrived. Last night I had one from the Jan 28 release, and noticed that they are starting to fade. Drink 'em fast...

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:Heelch is in stock now. Anyone know the best before on it?

Anderson Valley uses a bottled on date which in this case is:

15014 - 14th day of Jan 2015

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Try it yet? How is it?

Ukie wrote:

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:Try it yet? How is it?

Ukie wrote:

Really good. Hoppy but not overpowering or bitter, lots of floral and citrus smells and very easy to drink. Getting only an 85 at RB and at that price point I was a bit hesitant to pick up more than one but gambled and bought 4. Have to think about going back before its gone. Hamilton area seemed to get a good share.

From the bottle:

"A color of polished brass with copper tints and a wavy, dense tan head. Aromas of California citrus and aromatic biscuits with hints of fresh redwood needles greet your nose. An assertive hop bitterness is delivered to your palate and balanced beautifully with a malty richness and a long, warm and hoppy finish."

Couldn't have said it better.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Ukie wrote: Really good. Hoppy but not overpowering or bitter, lots of...citrus smells and very easy to drink.
Agreed. Flavour-wise it's pure hop juice and a little bit boozy but as you mention the bitterness is balanced and enjoyable. At three months old the nose has likely faded, but what's there is good (orange, apricot, pine needle, resin). Definitely worth buying within the next 2-3 weeks; after that it'll probably go downhill fast.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

It's really interesting how palates differ. I found the hops in Heelch to be pretty muted (stale) in both aroma and flavour with a very broad, malty backbone taking center stage. Happy it's in the LCBO, though.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Who else enjoyed Beau's Bottle Imp? I must say I found this one to be quite a good pinch hitter when Peche was stuck in limbo for such a long time. Decent price too. I was very lukewarm on this brewery but this is the second of theirs (along with their wheat wine) I enjoyed.

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

boney wrote:It's really interesting how palates differ. I found the hops in Heelch to be pretty muted (stale) in both aroma and flavour with a very broad, malty backbone taking center stage. Happy it's in the LCBO, though.
My guess is that it depends on how much malt flavour you like in a DIPA. I was skeptical of this one but found I enjoyed it quite a lot. However, whether through design or the couple of months since it was bottled, there is no doubt that it has a notable sweet malt flavour. I thought it worked well with the hops (which I didn't find muted), but for those who prefer DIPAs to be more bitter and light on the malt, this one wouldn't do the trick.
Ren

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so the only beer left to show is this one? (the one I wanted to try the most..)

406439 Gregorius Trappist Beer $4.55 330 9.7

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

spinrsx wrote:so the only beer left to show is this one? (the one I wanted to try the most..)

406439 Gregorius Trappist Beer $4.55 330 9.7
I told you this would be the last one. It seems that the ones people want the most are the longest to show. I'm surprised Goat Boy appeared so quickly.