Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring Craft Beer Release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Ya, this gueuze could have the opposite effect - hang around on the lcbo shelves for ages so they never order more

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

spinrsx wrote:Ya, this gueuze could have the opposite effect - hang around on the lcbo shelves for ages so they never order more
And then the LCBO will conclude no one liked gueuze after all. Then some importer will pull in a small order of 3F it will sell like hot cakes and they'll be lost again. "People are fickle, I guess," they will conclude. "Guess we'd better get some good old reliable hoppy beer from some brewery as far from Ontario as humanly possible, that always moves." It really is too bad no one writes about beer or that there aren't any sites with large reserves of reviews and ratings to correlate between what you are selling and perceived quality. Just a real shame... maybe someone ought to start Beer Spectator so they aren't so lost. :roll:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:Yeesh. That's the 4th lowest-rated Gueuze on all of Ratebeer.
^ I can promise St. Louis Gueuze will fulfill that expectation. It almost hints at bretty. musty dusty oak barrel and sour flavors but it's super diluted with a 'hollow' body and strange sweet flavor ruining any promise of an even okay Gueuze.

Failure to launch.
In Beerum Veritas

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

groulxsome wrote:It really is too bad no one writes about beer or that there aren't any sites with large reserves of reviews and ratings to correlate between what you are selling and perceived quality. Just a real shame... maybe someone ought to start Beer Spectator so they aren't so lost. :roll:
Great idea! Let's you and I talk some more about developing this. Seriously. It would do the province a world of good!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Yikes! Hmm...more money to spend on my new love of bourbon I guess?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:1 usd == 1.17882 cad

:(
sprague11 wrote:Look at the bright side - More money to spend across the border!
That was a bargain.

Looked this afternoon at the mall and it was 1 USD = 1.2050 CDN

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Ukie wrote:
spinrsx wrote:1 usd == 1.17882 cad

:(
sprague11 wrote:Look at the bright side - More money to spend across the border!
That was a bargain.

Looked this afternoon at the mall and it was 1 USD = 1.2050 CDN
Yeah but that's the rate without surcharge, banks would probably be similar to the customer as that mall rate
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

probstk

Post by probstk »

Good lord, what a jaded bunch (save for Craig, it seems)! There are quite a few tasty beers in the release and I am looking forward to trying them!

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

probstk wrote:Good lord, what a jaded bunch (save for Craig, it seems)! There are quite a few tasty beers in the release and I am looking forward to trying them!
not to be rude, but i was in buffalo a week ago and this list is pure shit compared to what buffalo's "spring release" will be.
i spent $200 in Buffalo while using self restraint.
you think you could even come close to $100 with this release?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

atomeyes wrote:
probstk wrote:Good lord, what a jaded bunch (save for Craig, it seems)! There are quite a few tasty beers in the release and I am looking forward to trying them!
not to be rude, but i was in buffalo a week ago and this list is pure shit compared to what buffalo's "spring release" will be.
Point taken, although there are a few beers in there that I might really enjoy, so "pure shit" doesn't quite cover it. I would say however that it does reflect certain bureaucratic laziness and inertia on the part of the LCBO, thank you.
In Beerum Veritas

nickw

Post by nickw »

And not everyone has the ability to a) go to Buffalo regularly and b) drop $200 at once on beer.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

nickw wrote:And not everyone has the ability to a) go to Buffalo regularly and b) drop $200 at once on beer.
yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.
then go spend $50 in Buffalo on stuff that's better than what's available for $5-10 at the 'BO.
or don't spend $$ on meh IPAs that likely aren't remotely punchy or fresh when you buy it.
or just buy more Trafalgar beer to support "craft beer"'.

"I can't afford a trip to Monaco so I'm going to blow $500 on a staycation."

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

atomeyes wrote:
you think you could even come close to $100 with this release?
atomeyes wrote:
nickw wrote:And not everyone has the ability to a) go to Buffalo regularly and b) drop $200 at once on beer.
yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.
then go spend $50 in Buffalo on stuff that's better than what's available for $5-10 at the 'BO.
or don't spend $$ on meh IPAs that likely aren't remotely punchy or fresh when you buy it.
or just buy more Trafalgar beer to support "craft beer"'.

"I can't afford a trip to Monaco so I'm going to blow $500 on a staycation."
Tu es Charlie.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

let's not forget that this release more or less includes these bonus beers!

399626 / Grande Cuvee American Barleywine / Les Trois Mousquetaires G.C. Barleywine Américain / 750 / $12.65 / 10.0
402370 / Westmalle Dubbel / Westmalle Dubbel / 330 / $3.45 / 6.9
399584 / Smuttynose - Imperial Stout / Smuttynose Imperial Stout / 650 / $8.95 / 8.7 -
402578 / Rodenbach Vintage / Rodenbach Vintage / 750 / 9.95 / 7.0

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

atomeyes wrote:yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.
Probstk is in Ottawa (as am I). Buffalo is pretty far from us. Of course, we can go to Bear World to get different brands of months old IPAs...