Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring Craft Beer Release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Ceecee wrote:
atomeyes wrote:yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.

Probstk is in Ottawa (as am I). Buffalo is pretty far from us. Of course, we can go to Bear World to get different brands of months old IPAs...
Or you could go to the Walgreens in Ogdensburg(where I was last weekend) and if you really want buy some Sierra Nevada Summerfest. Because what better way to celebrate an Ottawa winter.

nickw

Post by nickw »

atomeyes wrote:
nickw wrote:And not everyone has the ability to a) go to Buffalo regularly and b) drop $200 at once on beer.
yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.
then go spend $50 in Buffalo on stuff that's better than what's available for $5-10 at the 'BO.
or don't spend $$ on meh IPAs that likely aren't remotely punchy or fresh when you buy it.
or just buy more Trafalgar beer to support "craft beer"'.

"I can't afford a trip to Monaco so I'm going to blow $500 on a staycation."
:roll: lotta assumptions there, sir. Well done. You must be a blast for people with differing opinions and differing life circumstances to spend any time with.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Ceecee wrote: Probstk is in Ottawa (as am I). Buffalo is pretty far from us. Of course, we can go to Bear World to get different brands of months old IPAs...
That doesn't mean he/she has to call the rest of us jaded for simply having standards and personal preferences. And to be clear, you don't have to go as far as NY/MI/VT to find a beer release better than this; you just have to go back in time.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

instantkamera wrote:And to be clear, you don't have to go as far as NY/MI/VT to find a beer release better than this; you just have to go back in time.
Just need a DeLorean + flux capacitor + Mr Fusion. No problem!
lister

probstk

Post by probstk »

atomeyes wrote:
probstk wrote:Good lord, what a jaded bunch (save for Craig, it seems)! There are quite a few tasty beers in the release and I am looking forward to trying them!
not to be rude, but i was in buffalo a week ago and this list is pure shit compared to what buffalo's "spring release" will be.
i spent $200 in Buffalo while using self restraint.
you think you could even come close to $100 with this release?
Not really a fair comparison. And why compare at all? There are a number of nice beers in this release...can't we just enjoy them?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

probstk wrote:There are a number of nice beers in this release
That's just like...your opinion, man.

Underwhelming, average release.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

probstk wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
probstk wrote:Good lord, what a jaded bunch (save for Craig, it seems)! There are quite a few tasty beers in the release and I am looking forward to trying them!
not to be rude, but i was in buffalo a week ago and this list is pure shit compared to what buffalo's "spring release" will be.
i spent $200 in Buffalo while using self restraint.
you think you could even come close to $100 with this release?
Not really a fair comparison. And why compare at all? There are a number of nice beers in this release...can't we just enjoy them?
you can enjoy whatever you like. but proclaiming that this is a good/great release is different than enjoying a beer.

someone can enjoy a Big Mac but don't proclaim it to be a great burger.
Ceecee wrote:
Probstk is in Ottawa (as am I). Buffalo is pretty far from us. Of course, we can go to Bear World to get different brands of months old IPAs...
bear world or beer world? :)

if i lived in Ottawa, i'd go to Gatineau for 98% of my beer purchases. hell, you have that Beerophile thing you can so-easily utilize.
nickw wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
nickw wrote:And not everyone has the ability to a) go to Buffalo regularly and b) drop $200 at once on beer.
yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.
then go spend $50 in Buffalo on stuff that's better than what's available for $5-10 at the 'BO.
or don't spend $$ on meh IPAs that likely aren't remotely punchy or fresh when you buy it.

:roll: lotta assumptions there, sir. Well done. You must be a blast for people with differing opinions and differing life circumstances to spend any time with.
so here's an assumption: if someone does not have the $$ to leave Toronto to shop for beer or buy more than a few bottles at a time, they'd just buy directly from Bellwoods or Great Lakes, because fresh-ass IPA is better than sitting-at-ambient-temp-for-months IPA, no?
Last edited by atomeyes on Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Ceecee wrote:
Forget bear world, Bottle Caps is better.... Was there this past weekend and picked up:

Bells Two Hearted Ale
green flash palate wrecker
Lagunitas Lil sumpin ale
Founders double trouble
And dfh 90 min

Plus it just off the 81 on Arsenal St.

http://www.bottlecapsbev.com

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Doesn't double trouble get released in the summer? Shades of bear world
Masterplan wrote:
Ceecee wrote:
Forget bear world, Bottle Caps is better.... Was there this past weekend and picked up:

Founders double trouble

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Masterplan wrote:

Bells Two Hearted Ale
green flash palate wrecker
Lagunitas Lil sumpin ale
Founders double trouble
And dfh 90 min

Plus it just off the 81 on Arsenal St.

http://www.bottlecapsbev.com
Any issues with expired beer from those guys? Last time I went to Bear World was about a year and a half ago, and of the 12 beers I got back at least half of them were over 6 months old. Some of them over a year old. When I contacted the store via email, they told me the issue was partially due to their distributor. My worry would be that Bottlecaps was getting their beer from the same source (which is also the distribuotr that supplies SN beers to the Walgreens I mentioned) so I am curious if you had any issues.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

My problem with both of those places (bear world/bottle caps) is the ridiculous markup they charge on the singles if you break up a 4/6 pack.

Bottlecaps isn't as big as bear world, so I'm sure they have an easier time moving inventory, but there are still some out of date bottles around. Also, from my experience Bottle caps is a little bit less expensive than BW.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

spinrsx wrote:My problem with both of those places (bear world/bottle caps) is the ridiculous markup they charge on the singles if you break up a 4/6 pack.

Bottlecaps isn't as big as bear world, so I'm sure they have an easier time moving inventory, but there are still some out of date bottles around. Also, from my experience Bottle caps is a little bit less expensive than BW.
Good to know about the prices. What gets me is that a lot of beers don't have dates on them or are in formats that are hard to read unless you know. So for example when I was in Ogdensburg, I saw the Summerfest then saw a 6 of Torpedo next to it. The torpedo bottles didn't have any dates on them, but considering they were sitting next to another beer from the summer, I had to assume they were just as old. I saw SN products at other stores too, and figuring they all come from the same warehouse I stayed away.

That said I was looking at my emails from the bear world guy and in his reply he basically said that some of the beers I bought, appeared to have been delivered to his store that were already 8 months old. I am kind of a bastard about this kind of thing now because it pisses me off so much. If I am in the states and see beers on the shelf that are really old, I will usually take a minute or two to email the brewery. Hopefully if that happens enough things will change.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

spinrsx wrote:Doesn't double trouble get released in the summer? Shades of bear world
September, i thought.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

atomeyes wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Doesn't double trouble get released in the summer? Shades of bear world
September, i thought.
Jul to September. I've never had it before and was in rush so I grabbed it.

Like you say most of the beers have no brew date, or random codes. The ones I did see were mostly nov/Dec ish.

According to the cashier the GF Palate Wrecker just arrived...

Should probably split this off into an eastern Ontario cross border run thread....

nickw

Post by nickw »

atomeyes wrote:
if i lived in Ottawa, i'd go to Gatineau for 98% of my beer purchases. hell, you have that Beerophile thing you can so-easily utilize.
nickw wrote:
atomeyes wrote: yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.

so here's an assumption: if someone does not have the $$ to leave Toronto to shop for beer or buy more than a few bottles at a time, they'd just buy directly from Bellwoods or Great Lakes, because fresh-ass IPA is better than sitting-at-ambient-temp-for-months IPA, no?
There, that wasn't so hard, was it? :roll: