Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring Craft Beer Release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
nickw wrote:And not everyone has the ability to a) go to Buffalo regularly and b) drop $200 at once on beer.
yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.
then go spend $50 in Buffalo on stuff that's better than what's available for $5-10 at the 'BO.
or don't spend $$ on meh IPAs that likely aren't remotely punchy or fresh when you buy it.
or just buy more Trafalgar beer to support "craft beer"'.

"I can't afford a trip to Monaco so I'm going to blow $500 on a staycation."
There are IPAs in this release rated in the 99th and 100th percentiles on ratebeer. Freshness is always a concern with the LCBO, but I'd hardly call the beers themselves "meh". Even the Anderson Valley and Midtfyns are around the 75th percentile, which is a high enough review I want to try them, if fresh. Comparisons to Trafalgar are totally out of whack.

Comparing to Buffalo isn't fair. Every season release ever, combined, is worse than Buffalo. Gotta take it in the context of the shitty Ontario marketplace.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Masterplan wrote: Jul to September. I've never had it before and was in rush so I grabbed it.
That's usually the problem I run into. If we go to watertown or something, getting beer is usually the last place we stop. Wife and kids are waiting in the car, so it usually takes too long (in their opinion) just to find 6 or 12 beers on a wall of mix and match beers. If I have to check everyone to make sure it isn't a year old it takes way too long.

I think I might just give up and only do growlers. A lot of places in the Watertown to Potsdam area will fill any growler, and I figure you have a much better chance of finding something fresh.

probstk

Post by probstk »

Craig wrote:
atomeyes wrote:
nickw wrote:And not everyone has the ability to a) go to Buffalo regularly and b) drop $200 at once on beer.
yes, Buffalo, that magical far-away land.
then go spend $50 in Buffalo on stuff that's better than what's available for $5-10 at the 'BO.
or don't spend $$ on meh IPAs that likely aren't remotely punchy or fresh when you buy it.
or just buy more Trafalgar beer to support "craft beer"'.

"I can't afford a trip to Monaco so I'm going to blow $500 on a staycation."
There are IPAs in this release rated in the 99th and 100th percentiles on ratebeer. Freshness is always a concern with the LCBO, but I'd hardly call the beers themselves "meh". Even the Anderson Valley and Midtfyns are around the 75th percentile, which is a high enough review I want to try them, if fresh. Comparisons to Trafalgar are totally out of whack.

Comparing to Buffalo isn't fair. Every season release ever, combined, is worse than Buffalo. Gotta take it in the context of the shitty Ontario marketplace.
Not to mention several classic examples of other styles.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

So we should start seeing some of these soon.. noticed the gueuze is listed now:

ST LOUIS PREMIUM GUEUZE
LCBO 397927 | 375 mL bottle
SEASONAL/LIMITED QUANTITIES
Price $ 4.45

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

spinrsx wrote:So we should start seeing some of these soon.. noticed the gueuze is listed now:

ST LOUIS PREMIUM GUEUZE
Price $ 4.45
The Fond Tradition was $3.50. What the hell?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Ceecee wrote:
spinrsx wrote:So we should start seeing some of these soon.. noticed the gueuze is listed now:

ST LOUIS PREMIUM GUEUZE
Price $ 4.45
The Fond Tradition was $3.50. What the hell?
ahem, this is "premium"

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

ST LOUIS PREMIUM GUEUZE
Price $ 4.45
you first ...

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Craig wrote:It's encouraging that St. Louis moved well enough they bothered to bring it back so soon. That might encourage them to try other beers of the style in the future.

Gregorius should get some love. That's not a super easy beer to come by and it's got the trappist designation, which is neat.

If Green Devil or Moralite come fresh, they're both excellent IPAs. I kinda doubt they pull it off with Green Devil, but they ought to be able to do it with Moralite. DDC have done the LCBO thing before, so they ought to know how to work it.

The rest seems like high quality IPAs and Weizens of various styles that all sound decent enough if you like the styles. Nothing to line up for, but nothing to complain about either.
I'm a weissbier lover, so I actually get pretty happy when I see a release heavy on them. I'm really looking forward to rauchbier weizen.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

So the 'fresh' moralite is now in the lcbo warehouse. wonder how long it sits there for

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

spinrsx wrote:So the 'fresh' moralite is now in the lcbo warehouse. wonder how long it sits there for
They never fail to disappoint. Versus the NEW IPA IS HERE!!! approach of rushing whole cases onto the floors immediately so people can scoop it up in a few days. < That's Buffalo if any of you've never experienced super fresh IPA. ;)
In Beerum Veritas

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Belgian wrote: That's Buffalo if any of you've never experienced super fresh *IMPORTED* IPA. ;)
FTFY, there's fresh stuff at the LCBO from Ontario, not to mention what you can get if you go to a brewery.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Belgian wrote: That's Buffalo if any of you've never experienced super fresh IPA. ;)
The oldest IPA's I have ever seen on a shelf anywhere were found in Buffalo, honourable mentions go to Quebec

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Aww gee shucks, I was having flashbacks of the few times I found fresh releases of tremendous American IPAs which most of the regular American buyers know come out on a certain yearly schedule.

We are not likely to have arrive same or similar here in that shape… don't you guys remember the green flash debacle? The warehousing delay up here is a farce.
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

PeenSteen wrote:
The oldest IPA's I have ever seen on a shelf anywhere were found in Buffalo, honourable mentions go to Quebec
By "Quebec" you mean "Peluso", right? ;)

Gotta visit Saginaw more often - 2 year old Avery Maharaja!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

spinrsx wrote:So the 'fresh' moralite is now in the lcbo warehouse. wonder how long it sits there for
Yet Peche is still AWOL :roll: