Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Beer Store Deal

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mooner

Post by mooner »

I don't see what you guys and all the brewers are all bent out of shape about. Don't you know 4 out of 5 Ontarians approve of this benevolent offer?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2429680

"This is not a lukewarm response. This is clearly a very popular proposal with Ontarians," said Pollara Executive Vice-President Craig Worden. "Based on the announcement, the public is strongly supportive and sees it benefiting craft brewers, the industry as a whole, and themselves as beer consumers."

See? Well I guess that's settled.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

now we know why The Beer Store's announcement was timed accordingly.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... store.html
While Ontario Craft Brewers, the association representing 50 of the smaller producers, has officially panned the offer, at least a dozen microbreweries have already expressed interest in buying in.
i wonder which breweries actually expressed legitimate interest?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

atomeyes wrote:now we know why The Beer Store's announcement was timed accordingly.

While Ontario Craft Brewers, the association representing 50 of the smaller producers, has officially panned the offer, at least a dozen microbreweries have already expressed interest in buying in.
Let's attack them with pitchforks and shovels lol

I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but it doesn't take long to find some that are, (ie twitter).
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I can understand the appeal to many micros that really only have a couple of beers in their core lineup. Like, oh, I dunno, Hockley or St. Andre? Plus maybe a bunch of brewpubs if they could figure out how to get their stuff in cans/bottles TBS can sell. I'm assuming they don't want to deal with growlers.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Craig wrote:I can understand the appeal to many micros that really only have a couple of beers in their core lineup. Like, oh, I dunno, Hockley or St. Andre? Plus maybe a bunch of brewpubs if they could figure out how to get their stuff in cans/bottles TBS can sell. I'm assuming they don't want to deal with growlers.
if you own a brewpub, you don't want to re-direct people to the Beer Store. you'd rather they drink your draught and then take bottles home vs never visit your place.
i get what you're saying, but, overall, i think the "5 local stores" rule does a brewpub more harm than good.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

atomeyes wrote:
Craig wrote:I can understand the appeal to many micros that really only have a couple of beers in their core lineup. Like, oh, I dunno, Hockley or St. Andre? Plus maybe a bunch of brewpubs if they could figure out how to get their stuff in cans/bottles TBS can sell. I'm assuming they don't want to deal with growlers.
if you own a brewpub, you don't want to re-direct people to the Beer Store. you'd rather they drink your draught and then take bottles home vs never visit your place.
i get what you're saying, but, overall, i think the "5 local stores" rule does a brewpub more harm than good.
Or you think if people try your beer in TBS they might think "hey, maybe I should check out the pub?" Plus they're getting to list their beer for free, so they're just pocketing money from any sale they make.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Actual brewpubs can't package their beer for sale, nor do off sales AFAIK. The "brewpubs" that we know that sell beer (Granite, Indie) are actually legal breweries with tied houses.

Brewpubs still can't exceed 6.5% alc/vol for their beer, another ridiculously archaic law that's still on the books. The crazy laws are why (IMO) we see so few actual brewpubs in the marketplace anymore.

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

midlife crisis wrote: Well, exactly, that is the fallacy in TBS's proposal. They are only offering the five closest stores to the brewery, not all "local" stores. So why not just drive the extra five minutes to the brewery then? Though two caveats I guess: for a rural brewer, say Whitewater, the five closest stores will have a considerable geographic spread. Secondly, brewery outlets are not currently allowed to sell beers contract-brewed at their location, if I understand things correctly. So if contract brewers are included in TBS's proposal, it might actually have some slight benefit.
Except that is looking at it from a beer geeks point of view. There are a lot of beer drinkers out there who would never even think of going to a brewery to get beer, even if it is only a 5 minute drive away. But a small percentage of them might try something new, if they see it at the store they go to every week.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
atomeyes wrote:now we know why The Beer Store's announcement was timed accordingly.

Let's attack them with pitchforks and shovels lol

I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but it doesn't take long to find some that are, (ie twitter).
I don't have time.
Who?

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

FEUO wrote: I don't have time.
Who?
My guess would be that Mill Street would be all over this.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I'd imagine the breweries located in northern Ontario love it. Does Sudbury even have 5 beer stores? Turns out they do, but the Sault and North Bay do not.

Meaning they can cover their entire communities with this deal.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The whole point of this brilliantly evil plan by TBS is to divide and conquer. I expect it will work.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

midlife crisis wrote:The whole point of this brilliantly evil plan by TBS is to divide and conquer. I expect it will work.
If they really wanted to divide the market they would allow 5 free listings to importers. So many import brands get turned down from the LCBO nowadays, there would certainly be importers who would do it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Cass wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:The whole point of this brilliantly evil plan by TBS is to divide and conquer. I expect it will work.
If they really wanted to divide the market they would allow 5 free listings to importers. So many import brands get turned down from the LCBO nowadays, there would certainly be importers who would do it.
That doesn't win the PR battle though. They need to look like they're a) Canadian and b) helping the little guy.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Craig wrote:
Cass wrote:
That doesn't win the PR battle though. They need to look like they're a) Canadian and b) helping the little guy.
Oh for sure. But what it would do is help the "we're the best selection in the world" garbage.