Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Beer Store Deal

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Hey, at least they have some stones to try it. Whether it's successful or not is another story.
lister

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

For the curious:

Power and purposes of Board
3. (1) The purposes of the Board are, and it has power,
(a) to buy, import and have in its possession for sale, and to sell, liquor and other products containing alcohol and non-alcoholic beverages;
(b) to control the sale, transportation and delivery of liquor;
(c) to make provision for the maintenance of warehouses for liquor and to control the keeping in and delivery from any such warehouses;
(d) to establish government stores for the sale of liquor to the public;
(e) to authorize manufacturers of beer and spirits and wineries that manufacture Ontario wine to sell their beer, spirits or Ontario wine in stores owned and operated by the manufacturer or the winery and to authorize Brewers Retail Inc. to operate stores for the sale of beer to the public;
(f) to control and supervise the marketing methods and procedures of manufacturers and of wineries that manufacture Ontario wine including the operation of government stores by persons authorized under clause (e);
(g) subject to the Liquor Licence Act, to determine the municipalities within which government stores shall be established or authorized and the location of such stores in such municipalities;
(h) to determine the classes, varieties and brands of liquor to be kept for sale at government stores and maintain standards therefor;
(i) to fix the prices at which the various classes, varieties and brands of liquor are to be sold and, except in the case of liquor sold through an outlet designated by the Minister of National Revenue under the Excise Act (Canada) as a duty free sales outlet, such prices shall be the same at all government stores;
(j) to determine the nature, form and capacity of all packages to be used for containing liquor to be kept or sold and to administer or participate in such waste management programs for packaging as the Minister may direct;
(k) to appoint one or more vendors of sacramental wines in any municipality and to control the keeping for sale, sale and delivery of sacramental wines;
(l) to lease or, subject to the approval of the Lieutenant Governor in Council, to purchase such land and buildings and erect such buildings as are necessary for the purposes of the Board;
(l.1) to sell, lease or otherwise dispose of land and buildings;
(m) to require manufacturers of liquor and wineries that manufacture Ontario wine to furnish such samples of their products to the Board as the Board may require;
(m.1) to establish fees, subject to the approval of the Minister, and provide for refunds under this Act and the regulations made under it;
(n) to do all things necessary for the management and operation of the Board in the conduct of its business;
(o) to do all things necessary or incidental to the attainment of any of the purposes set out in clauses (a) to (n). R.S.O. 1990, c. L.18, s. 3; 1994, c. 9, s. 2 (1); 1996, c. 26, s. 2 (2); 2006, c. 33, Sched. Q, s. 3; 2011, c. 9, Sched. 23, s. 1; 2012, c. 8, Sched. 31, s. 1.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

lister wrote:
Hey, at least they have some stones to try it. Whether it's successful or not is another story.
At this point it's any which way buy loose, you know? Everyone is piling on and it's never going away.
saintjohnswort.ca

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

and the Beer Store' response:
http://www.momandhops.ca/the-beer-store ... led-today/

summary: I don't think they're wrong.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Well Jordan, I won't accuse you of being ahead of the curve on this, just because I think we all were, but you did articulate it the best in your blog.

Still, I'm glad to see the 'big' media steal your angle on this.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-de ... e22420631/
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

JSJ for best beer writer at the next Golden Taps?
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

sprague11 wrote:JSJ for best beer writer at the next Golden Taps?
Victory in our time will be reward enough.
saintjohnswort.ca

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

atomeyes wrote:and the Beer Store' response:

Agreed.
But like anything they are spinning it to their benefit. The plaintiff in the suit (Barge) may have generalized with TBS setting pricing on beer. Seeing as three huge brewing conglomerates own the place and set pricing for their beer, its not a wild stretch to say TBS sets pricing. Sooooooorrry.... the folks that own TBS set pricing on a large number of brands sold. TBS just processes it.

As for insinuating that the way things are set up now is unconstitutional.... damn right it is.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

FEUO wrote:

Agreed.
But like anything they are spinning it to their benefit. The plaintiff in the suit (Barge) may have generalized with TBS setting pricing on beer. Seeing as three huge brewing conglomerates own the place and set pricing for their beer, its not a wild stretch to say TBS sets pricing. Sooooooorrry.... the folks that own TBS set pricing on a large number of brands sold. TBS just processes it.

As for insinuating that the way things are set up now is unconstitutional.... damn right it is.
DISCLAIMER: IANAL and all that.

I think you (or both of you (or all of us)) are confused.

We have the following actions:

1) Class-action (for 1.4 Bill) against TBS AND LCBO <---- This is what TBS has responded to.

2) Barge Craft Beer Co. v. Her Majesty The Queen In Right Of Ontario <---- this has not been filed, technically, yet (the paperwork indicates that there is a 60 day notice requirement).

*** The Barge is NOT the plaintiff in the suit to which TBS has responded.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

instantkamera wrote:
FEUO wrote:

Agreed.

DISCLAIMER: IANAL and all that.

I think you (or both of you (or all of us)) are confused.

We have the following actions:

1) Class-action (for 1.4 Bill) against TBS AND LCBO <---- This is what TBS has responded to.

2) Barge Craft Beer Co. v. Her Majesty The Queen In Right Of Ontario <---- this has not been filed, technically, yet (the paperwork indicates that there is a 60 day notice requirement).

*** The Barge is NOT the plaintiff in the suit to which TBS has responded.
Thanks for the corrections, nerd.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

FEUO wrote:
No problem, meathead. :lol:

To be honest, I only figured that out when I went digging to reply on what I believe is TBS' straw man. I can't find the 5 page filing referred to everywhere in regards to the Class-action, but the response reads like a classic misdirection/misrepresentation by taking one point that they know they can refute, doing so, and acting like that invalidates the whole thing (and maybe it does, but like I said, I can't find the paperwork to tell for myself).

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

instantkamera wrote:
FEUO wrote:
No problem, meathead. :lol:

To be honest, I only figured that out when I went digging to reply on what I believe is TBS' straw man. I can't find the 5 page filing referred to everywhere in regards to the Class-action, but the response reads like a classic misdirection/misrepresentation by taking one point that they know they can refute, doing so, and acting like that invalidates the whole thing (and maybe it does, but like I said, I can't find the paperwork to tell for myself).
Uh, duhhhhh.
I gathered that from their response.

C'mon nerd. Gimme something I can use.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

FEUO wrote: I gathered that from their response.

I have absolutely no idea what you are saying/asking. Your response is so devoid of your usual 'dat', 'bro', 'doe', and 'urd' that I don't think I can comprehend. :P

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

saints_gambit wrote:
sprague11 wrote:JSJ for best beer writer at the next Golden Taps?
Victory in our time will be reward enough.
Or some more book sales! :wink:

aw shucks, I'm shilling now...
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

instantkamera wrote:
FEUO wrote: I gathered that from their response.

I have absolutely no idea what you are saying/asking. Your response is so devoid of your usual 'dat', 'bro', 'doe', and 'urd' that I don't think I can comprehend. :P
You've both lost me. I must be a politician...

Can't we all just agree on the status quo? Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.