New Beer Store Deal

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
mooner
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:25 pm
Location: The Banks of the Mighty St. Clair

Postby mooner » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:52 pm

I don't see what you guys and all the brewers are all bent out of shape about. Don't you know 4 out of 5 Ontarians approve of this benevolent offer?

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/2429680

"This is not a lukewarm response. This is clearly a very popular proposal with Ontarians," said Pollara Executive Vice-President Craig Worden. "Based on the announcement, the public is strongly supportive and sees it benefiting craft brewers, the industry as a whole, and themselves as beer consumers."


See? Well I guess that's settled.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Postby atomeyes » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:57 am

now we know why The Beer Store's announcement was timed accordingly.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... store.html

While Ontario Craft Brewers, the association representing 50 of the smaller producers, has officially panned the offer, at least a dozen microbreweries have already expressed interest in buying in.


i wonder which breweries actually expressed legitimate interest?
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 759
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:32 am

atomeyes wrote:now we know why The Beer Store's announcement was timed accordingly.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... store.html

While Ontario Craft Brewers, the association representing 50 of the smaller producers, has officially panned the offer, at least a dozen microbreweries have already expressed interest in buying in.


i wonder which breweries actually expressed legitimate interest?


Let's attack them with pitchforks and shovels lol

I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but it doesn't take long to find some that are, (ie twitter).
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Postby Craig » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:20 am

I can understand the appeal to many micros that really only have a couple of beers in their core lineup. Like, oh, I dunno, Hockley or St. Andre? Plus maybe a bunch of brewpubs if they could figure out how to get their stuff in cans/bottles TBS can sell. I'm assuming they don't want to deal with growlers.
atomeyes
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2151
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Postby atomeyes » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:29 am

Craig wrote:I can understand the appeal to many micros that really only have a couple of beers in their core lineup. Like, oh, I dunno, Hockley or St. Andre? Plus maybe a bunch of brewpubs if they could figure out how to get their stuff in cans/bottles TBS can sell. I'm assuming they don't want to deal with growlers.


if you own a brewpub, you don't want to re-direct people to the Beer Store. you'd rather they drink your draught and then take bottles home vs never visit your place.
i get what you're saying, but, overall, i think the "5 local stores" rule does a brewpub more harm than good.
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Postby Craig » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:39 am

atomeyes wrote:
Craig wrote:I can understand the appeal to many micros that really only have a couple of beers in their core lineup. Like, oh, I dunno, Hockley or St. Andre? Plus maybe a bunch of brewpubs if they could figure out how to get their stuff in cans/bottles TBS can sell. I'm assuming they don't want to deal with growlers.


if you own a brewpub, you don't want to re-direct people to the Beer Store. you'd rather they drink your draught and then take bottles home vs never visit your place.
i get what you're saying, but, overall, i think the "5 local stores" rule does a brewpub more harm than good.


Or you think if people try your beer in TBS they might think "hey, maybe I should check out the pub?" Plus they're getting to list their beer for free, so they're just pocketing money from any sale they make.
User avatar
Cass
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby Cass » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:56 am

Craig wrote:I can understand the appeal to many micros that really only have a couple of beers in their core lineup. Like, oh, I dunno, Hockley or St. Andre? Plus maybe a bunch of brewpubs if they could figure out how to get their stuff in cans/bottles TBS can sell. I'm assuming they don't want to deal with growlers.


Actual brewpubs can't package their beer for sale, nor do off sales AFAIK. The "brewpubs" that we know that sell beer (Granite, Indie) are actually legal breweries with tied houses.

Brewpubs still can't exceed 6.5% alc/vol for their beer, another ridiculously archaic law that's still on the books. The crazy laws are why (IMO) we see so few actual brewpubs in the marketplace anymore.
Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 8:25 am
Location: Ottawa

Postby Kel Varnsen » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:10 am

midlife crisis wrote:Well, exactly, that is the fallacy in TBS's proposal. They are only offering the five closest stores to the brewery, not all "local" stores. So why not just drive the extra five minutes to the brewery then? Though two caveats I guess: for a rural brewer, say Whitewater, the five closest stores will have a considerable geographic spread. Secondly, brewery outlets are not currently allowed to sell beers contract-brewed at their location, if I understand things correctly. So if contract brewers are included in TBS's proposal, it might actually have some slight benefit.


Except that is looking at it from a beer geeks point of view. There are a lot of beer drinkers out there who would never even think of going to a brewery to get beer, even if it is only a 5 minute drive away. But a small percentage of them might try something new, if they see it at the store they go to every week.
User avatar
FEUO
Posts: 267
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:32 pm
Location: dirty south

Postby FEUO » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:58 am

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
atomeyes wrote:now we know why The Beer Store's announcement was timed accordingly.

http://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/ ... store.html

While Ontario Craft Brewers, the association representing 50 of the smaller producers, has officially panned the offer, at least a dozen microbreweries have already expressed interest in buying in.


i wonder which breweries actually expressed legitimate interest?


Let's attack them with pitchforks and shovels lol

I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but it doesn't take long to find some that are, (ie twitter).

I don't have time.
Who?
TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2584
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm
Location: Mississauga
Contact:

Postby TheSevenDuffs » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:10 pm

FEUO wrote:I don't have time.
Who?
My guess would be that Mill Street would be all over this.
Masterplan
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:00 am

Postby Masterplan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:11 pm

I'd imagine the breweries located in northern Ontario love it. Does Sudbury even have 5 beer stores? Turns out they do, but the Sault and North Bay do not.

Meaning they can cover their entire communities with this deal.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1952
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby midlife crisis » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:08 pm

The whole point of this brilliantly evil plan by TBS is to divide and conquer. I expect it will work.
User avatar
Cass
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby Cass » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:58 pm

midlife crisis wrote:The whole point of this brilliantly evil plan by TBS is to divide and conquer. I expect it will work.


If they really wanted to divide the market they would allow 5 free listings to importers. So many import brands get turned down from the LCBO nowadays, there would certainly be importers who would do it.
User avatar
Craig
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1672
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:23 am

Postby Craig » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:13 pm

Cass wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:The whole point of this brilliantly evil plan by TBS is to divide and conquer. I expect it will work.


If they really wanted to divide the market they would allow 5 free listings to importers. So many import brands get turned down from the LCBO nowadays, there would certainly be importers who would do it.


That doesn't win the PR battle though. They need to look like they're a) Canadian and b) helping the little guy.
User avatar
Cass
Beer Superstar
Posts: 3299
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:00 pm
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Postby Cass » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:22 pm

Craig wrote:
Cass wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:The whole point of this brilliantly evil plan by TBS is to divide and conquer. I expect it will work.


If they really wanted to divide the market they would allow 5 free listings to importers. So many import brands get turned down from the LCBO nowadays, there would certainly be importers who would do it.


That doesn't win the PR battle though. They need to look like they're a) Canadian and b) helping the little guy.


Oh for sure. But what it would do is help the "we're the best selection in the world" garbage.

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests