Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Grocery Stores

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

Blasphomet wrote:The whole grocery store thing is a big meh.
on the surface this is true. However, its what it represents that really matters - de-regulation!

Ideally, the whole system should be blown up but our politicians work at snail's pace. First step is (mostly) meh beer at a few grocery stores. Second step is beer available at EVERY grocery store that wants to sell it. Third step is wide availability of other spirits and the break-up of LCBO (I don't care about beer store since I don't spend a cent there). Once that happens, enterprising individuals can set up specialized stores that will cater to the tiny fraction of the population (readers of this forum) that buy/consume the "good stuff" (not just beer).
@markhamwhisky

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

portwood wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:The whole grocery store thing is a big meh.
on the surface this is true. However, its what it represents that really matters - de-regulation!

Ideally, the whole system should be blown up but our politicians work at snail's pace. First step is (mostly) meh beer at a few grocery stores. Second step is beer available at EVERY grocery store that wants to sell it. Third step is wide availability of other spirits and the break-up of LCBO (I don't care about beer store since I don't spend a cent there). Once that happens, enterprising individuals can set up specialized stores that will cater to the tiny fraction of the population (readers of this forum) that buy/consume the "good stuff" (not just beer).
I agree.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

I found the Exchange Session Saison to be extremely nice for a beer that seems to have wider availability only through grocery stores.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

still haven't stumbled upon any at any of the grocery stores i've visted :(

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

jeremyg wrote:still haven't stumbled upon any at any of the grocery stores i've visted :(
I've come across it at the Vic Park/Danforth Loblaws, they had bottles as of a week ago.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

admviolin wrote:Longo's at the ACC has beer and wine for consumption on site...I've only delivered there and haven't seen it in person. It is possible.
Coppa's and Michael-Angelo's both have sit down areas where you can purchase beer by the glass to have with your meal, although I'm pretty it does not allow for beer purchased from grocery store side
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

icemachine wrote:Coppa's and Michael-Angelo's both have sit down areas where you can purchase beer by the glass to have with your meal, although I'm pretty it does not allow for beer purchased from grocery store side
Well Ice opinions might vary on that but at any rate you can't just coast through life on looks now can you..
In Beerum Veritas

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Beer & cider finally came to my local Sobey's. I just stumbled upon the beer fridge whilst looking for frozen pizzas unaware that they now sold alcohol.

The fridge area at the end of aisle had only six packs, mostly Coors/Molson etc plus Samuel Adams. I figured knowing how things work in Ontario - and this being a relatively small town too - that would be the extent of it. But, no, I was pleasantly surprised when I turned the corner to see an entire fridge area with multiple shelves with only single craft beers - I think they were all ON but not sure. Nothing super adventurous but almost as good as my local LCBO with plenty of IPAs, hefeweizen, stouts, etc. There was then another fridge area full of more mainstream singles - Eurolagers - and ciders and unrefrigerated macros off to the side. All in all there were as many beers as one would've had available at the local LCBO ten years ago - when they just had a small beer section at the back - in terms of quantity but a better selection in terms of quality than in those (not so far off) days. We've come a long way. :D

The girl at check-out had to call a slightly older girl (maybe 19 or 20!) over when she got to the beer part of my purchases. The beer, unlike everything else, was scanned by this older employee who also asked for my I.D. - something which hasn't happened since about the turn of the century :lol:

I spent a few cents under $20 so I don't know if the beer counts towards Air Miles, but I'd imagine so.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We're finally getting some places downtown stocking beer and cider, not that we really needed it but the convenience is nice. I've been pleasantly surprised at the decent selection of all the places so far.

It's idiotic about the time restrictions on purchasing.
lister

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

At a Sobey's in Northern Ontario, I noticed many of the craft beers in stock were cheaper than the LCBO. All the Loblaws run stores I've been in mirror LCBO prices including sales.

Picked up a Halcyon Infinite Mirror today at a grocery store in a small Eastern Ontario town. They also had Beyond the Pale, Collective Arts, Nickel Brook, Covered Bridge, Whitewater, Side Launch, Refined Fool, Muskoka, Lake of the Woods, among many other breweries that I just can't remember now. How the hell can a small town store that's been carrying beer for less than a month have a way better craft beer selection than any TBS I've ever been in?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BlackRedGold wrote:How the hell can a small town store that's been carrying beer for less than a month have a way better craft beer selection than any TBS I've ever been in?
"The answer is in the question."
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

The Beer Store indeed sucks. But at least the carry Delirium.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

BlackRedGold wrote:Picked up a Halcyon Infinite Mirror today at a grocery store in a small Eastern Ontario town.
Winchester?

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

BlackRedGold wrote: How the hell can a small town store that's been carrying beer for less than a month have a way better craft beer selection than any TBS I've ever been in?
Ooh, ooh, I know this one. The small town store isn't owned by three multinational brewing conglomerates who are much more concerned with moving their own products vs. those of independent brewers.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Ceecee wrote:
BlackRedGold wrote:Picked up a Halcyon Infinite Mirror today at a grocery store in a small Eastern Ontario town.
Winchester?
Nope. Not that small.