Beer in Grocery Stores

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly

Re: Beer in Grocery Stores

Postby S. St. Jeb » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:03 pm

JaseWescott wrote:One place I would like to check out but haven't is a Walmart with alcohol.

I checked one of the Burlington locations. Nothing special at all.
Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Postby Bobsy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:09 pm

Give it a couple years and I'm sure beer in grocery stores will be better.

However, right now its a disappointing shitshow. If you want fresh beer, do not ever consider the grocery store. Popped by the local today and came across multiple IPAs from August. Sadly, not a new experience...

Not sure where the pride is on the grocery store side, and don't the brewers have some sort of system in place to ensure that their product on the shelf is within a date range they consider acceptable. I know the hole setup is relatively new, but it has me disappointed in both our retailers and our brewers.
alsiem

Postby alsiem » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:18 pm

I don't think it's just grocery stores that have an issue. In the few walk in beer stores near me I've often come across Muskoka mix packs that are either overdue or so close to due (2 days out) that you don't want to buy them. I don't know if it is the beer store, a sales rep? etc that is supposed to police that but it is certainly buyer beware at this point.
Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Postby Craig » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Freshness is a problem all over. Even some high-end shops in the US stock old IPA.
bernarduswesty

Postby bernarduswesty » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:27 am

For those in the West-end of Ottawa, Brown's Your Independent Grocer in Stittsville seems to be getting pretty serious with their beer inventory. They carry 270 beers, is starting to invite breweries in for tasting events and is a verified venue on Untappd so you can keep up to date with new beers they bring in.
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly

Postby S. St. Jeb » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:56 pm

bernarduswesty wrote:They carry 270 beers

:o
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Postby midlife crisis » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:13 pm

And in Stittsville! Nothing against Stittsville, but how has this not happened in the middle of Toronto (or London or Mississauga or Hamilton or Ottawa)? All of our grocery store licences seem to have gone to chains who put forward a bland, broadly similar lineup. Maybe Farm Boy holds some promise?

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”