Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer in Grocery Stores

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

darmokandjalad wrote:
BlackRedGold wrote: How the hell can a small town store that's been carrying beer for less than a month have a way better craft beer selection than any TBS I've ever been in?
Ooh, ooh, I know this one. The small town store isn't owned by three multinational brewing conglomerates who are much more concerned with moving their own products vs. those of independent brewers.
No way #$%k off! You're shattering my illusions that Ontario is a free market...
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:
BlackRedGold wrote: How the hell can a small town store that's been carrying beer for less than a month have a way better craft beer selection than any TBS I've ever been in?
Ooh, ooh, I know this one. The small town store isn't owned by three multinational brewing conglomerates who are much more concerned with moving their own products vs. those of independent brewers.
No way #$%k off! You're shattering my illusions that Ontario is a free market...
... but, but, but, the 'bo just upgraded their mobile app. No gov monopoly does that, right? :P
http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/cor ... 7-18a.html
@markhamwhisky

portwood

Post by portwood »

woo hoo
beer has finally landed in Markham grocery - Loblaws on Bullock Dr

sad display ... (took over two sections previously selling snacks) ... no fridge (yet), BUT - its better than nothing.

picked up:
Beyond the Pale, pink fuzz
Pengo Pally
Abe Erb 1857
@markhamwhisky

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

portwood wrote:woo hoo

sad display ... (took over two sections previously selling snacks) ... no fridge (yet), BUT - its better than nothing.

picked up:
Pengo Pally
Abe Erb 1857
some supermarkets are better than others. Fortinos sucks but Starsky Fine Foods in Stoney Creek had bottles of Chimay Premiere and a couple things not in the LCBO system like County Cider Peach.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

County cider stuff can normally be found in Wine Rack stores, for some reason.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Zehrs by my house finally got beer/wine in. Actually a really good set up, two aisles. All the beer/cider is refrigerated. Equal if not more craft vs macro beer and a real decent selection. They actually have BTP pink fuzz, which no lcbos in this area have ever carried. I love that beer so it's a huge plus for me. Picked up a couple last night and it tasted nice and fresh(can't see any dates on it)
Wine selection is shit

*edit: after being in a few more times and checking dates, things seem pretty damn good so far. Each IPA I checked were only a couple weeks old, some only a week. To be honest, I'd rather buy beer here that at certain lcbos(I'm looking at you Clair Rd store) which have cans of naufhty neighbor(for example)sitting in the fridge from February, while cans only a month old are sitting on unrefrisgerated shelves and turning over. Product rotation at its finest
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Zehrs in Barrie on Big Bay has got a beer and wine section now, most of it refrigerated. My first Ontario grocery store beer purchase! It had a pretty decent selection.

TBS on Bayfield at the north end actually has an employee (not sure if he was a manager or not) that's been working on bringing more interesting stuff in which he has been doing slowly. He was pretty enthusiastic about it.
lister

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

picked up:
Pengo Pally
Abe Erb 1857

I'll have to keep the Pink Fuzz in mind next time I head to Rouge River.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Blasphomet wrote:

picked up:
Pengo Pally
Abe Erb 1857

There's a few beyond the pales around toronto in LCBO and grocery. I've found the pale ale project at the millwood loblaws before.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

DeMarco wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

picked up:
Pengo Pally
Abe Erb 1857

There's a few beyond the pales around toronto in LCBO and grocery. I've found the pale ale project at the millwood loblaws before.
I searched the LCBO site and they all appear to be in the Ottawa region. Def not in Durham where I'm at. And I don't know if you can search grocery stores online for what beer they have or not. If you can, let me know.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Can't search groceries, but a whole bunch of BtP stuff has hit downtown TO (eg Summerhill) on and off. Mostly Pink Fuzz, and maybe one or two other brews. Yonge & Eg is another location that seems to consistently get their releases.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Napalm Frog wrote:Can't search groceries, but a whole bunch of BtP stuff has hit downtown TO (eg Summerhill) on and off. Mostly Pink Fuzz, and maybe one or two other brews. Yonge & Eg is another location that seems to consistently get their releases.
Hit up Rouge River today some beer so went to the Loblaws or Superstore or whatever it is there at McCowan and Bullock and yeah, was able to grab some BtP Pink Fuzz and Pale Ale Project. They also had the Refine Fool Nut Brown and The Exchange Saison (which was really surprising... I've never tried any The Exchange beer), but I'd spend enough. I'll go back for The Exchange next time I hit RR.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Beer now in at Loblaws in Hogg's Hollow (Yonge + Lawrence) for anyone in the area. Pretty good selection too. Bought a CA Stash that was less than a month old. Will have to keep an eye on their turnover. But a happy day. woo hoo!

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

lister wrote:Zehrs in Barrie on Big Bay has got a beer and wine section now, most of it refrigerated. My first Ontario grocery store beer purchase! It had a pretty decent selection.

TBS on Bayfield at the north end actually has an employee (not sure if he was a manager or not) that's been working on bringing more interesting stuff in which he has been doing slowly. He was pretty enthusiastic about it.
Did they have Aromatherapy at Zehrs on big bay pt? The loblaws on bayfield also has a beer area now.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

It'd be great if people could share where they've picked up Aromatherapy in the GTA, as I'd love to grab some.