Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

La Trappe Date Code

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Jay-Brew

La Trappe Date Code

Post by Jay-Brew »

Got a couple bottles of La Trappe Quad a while ago with the code K25I14 (I think), which based on what I found online I think is bottled in September 2014.

Got another bottle today with the code K06H13, which I think is August 2013.

Am I interpreting these codes correctly, and if so, can I assume that the bottle I got today has actually been sitting in an LCBO warehouse for a long time? Maybe part of last year's release that didn't sell then so they are putting them on the shelves now or again....

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

I don't know about the date codes....but if its that old its probably a recent return from a previous release. You could return a bottle from a release 5 years ago no problem. LCBO return policy is quite lenient.

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

To add... I also bought another bottle two days ago when I was grabbing some stuff at a different store. Both bottles have the same code I believe. Likely it's not a return but LCBO's stock. I recall seeing a lot of Fuller's Vintage 2013 mixed in with the 2014 when it came out and wondered if the 2013 never sold last year so they were putting it on the shelves again when the 2014 was released. Wondering if this is the same kind of thing then.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jay-Brew wrote:Got a couple bottles of La Trappe Quad a while ago...
I am inclined to say it won't be spoiled, it can age quite pleasantly. Look for 'barreling quad aroma...'
In Beerum Veritas

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

Belgian wrote:
Jay-Brew wrote:Got a couple bottles of La Trappe Quad a while ago...
I am inclined to say it won't be spoiled, it can age quite pleasantly. Look for 'barreling quad aroma...'
Agreed. Just wondering how 2013 bottles (assuming I'm interpreting it correctly) end up on the shelf now.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

FYI I was in Summerhill today, and since you mentioned it, I checked. Their La Trappe quads are also date code K06H13. Nicely pre-aged if anyone is interested!