Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

OCB proposes complementary beer sales channel

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Should Ontario craft brewers be allowed to sell Ontario craft beer?

Yes
88%
Yes
13%

Total votes: 40

shintriad
Bar Fly

OCB proposes complementary beer sales channel

Post by shintriad »

OCB taking some steps to propose an alternative to the LCBO/BS model. If this goes anywhere, it'd be pretty exciting.

Press release here: http://www.ontariocraftbrewers.com/pres ... hannel.php

I liked Ben's take on it, and his coverage of the bewildering OCB tasting event at the Ontario legislature: http://bensbeerblog.com/2015/03/23/the- ... es-please/

Soods

Post by Soods »

I'm just not sure which Yes is the real Yes.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Ideally, we want as many options as possible. It's foolish to assume that yes on this means no on grocery stores. You want both because there's going to be more growth and brewers who do not realize they need the additional shelf space will realize it eventually. Cross selling would benefit the smaller craft brewers and grocery stores would benefit the large ones.
saintjohnswort.ca

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

I assume giving the OCB any special rights could prompt a NAFTA challenge. All breweries should have the same rights if you're practicing free trade, which is fine with me.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Inkling wrote:I assume giving the OCB any special rights could prompt a NAFTA challenge. All breweries should have the same rights if you're practicing free trade, which is fine with me.
Glad you mentioned NAFTA, because the press sure hasn't in any of the latest coverage. Closest thing I've seen is this Twitter exchange:

Wondering if anyone has any insight here: Is the idea dead in the water, or can things be adjusted to accommodate it? Should Canada pull out of NAFTA just to allow more local beer sales (☑ Yes ☑ Yes)? What are the chances our NAFTA partners will be like, "You know what, you guys can have this. Dos Equis already sells way better than it should"?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Know what, ferk NAFTA I'm still paying fecktard import fees and taxes on every minor purchase I order the USA, and have to drive a good distance away to pick it up on top of that so the paranoid tax weasels make sure I pay those commies up front (while they also pre-deduct my income tax and I lend them my tax refund all year for free.)

We can opt out of NAFTA any time we like with a due notice, it's not the eleventh commandment or some shite. Of course LOL.
In Beerum Veritas

Swampale

Post by Swampale »

As a homebrewer, yes, I may start to buy beer again if OCB are allowed their own stores. Bloody politicians just have too much say in this. Allow OCB stores and step away Ont gov't and let capitalism take it's course. Until then, enjoying tax free homebrew on tap.
TaxFreeBeerTastesBetter

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Giving the trade group OCB the privilege of their own stores is hardly letting capitalism run its course. Letting any brewer in the province would be a lot closer, but that's still a distorted market. If you want to let capitalism run its course, just allow private stores and be done with it.
Last edited by Craig on Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Craig wrote:Giving the trade group OCB the privilege of their own stores is hardly letting capitalism run it's course. Letting any brewer in the province would be a lot closer, but that's still a distorted market. If you want to let capitalism run it's course, just allow private stores and be done with it.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.