Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer Craft Beer Release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

spinrsx wrote:finally listed..

De Leite Cuvee Sour Oak Aged Tripel Kriek Ale
LCBO#: 415737 | 330 mL bottle
$4.35

anyone know if this would be a good cellar candidate?
Its already been aged in the barrel and it is a tripel so I suspect it would continue to develop, though, the fruit flavour will drop off.

I looked up this brewery and they are very small. They brew on a 5 Barrel system. If you like this beer I suggest you by as much as you can because I would guess we never see it again.

This beer is also priced well compared to other retail outlets.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Anyone know if it's good? Haven't heard of it. Many of the "sours" that have come through the LCBO have been sugar bombs.
BakaGaijin wrote:

$4.35

Its already been aged in the barrel and it is a tripel so I suspect it would continue to develop, though, the fruit flavour will drop off.

I looked up this brewery and they are very small. They brew on a 5 Barrel system. If you like this beer I suggest you by as much as you can because I would guess we never see it again.

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

No idea....but it sounds good! Pretty sure they don't add artificial sweetener, so, it shouldn't be grossly sweet. From their website:

Cuvée Soeur´Ise

The brewers use lactobacillus to create a breeding ground in the oak wine casks. They then roll 40 kg cherries through the narrow opening in the barrels into 170L enfant Terriple. The yeast needs 5 months to break down all the sugars and for the gentle acidification process to work its magic. Over this period the cherries slowly release their blood red colour and tasty flavour. The result is a ‘thoroughbred’ triple kriek.

And as for the name… Cherries are ‘cerises’ in French and so the Cuvéé Soeur’Ise was born. A fine figure of a nun. The brewers claim it is impossible to lead their little nun astray…but they believe that she is more than capable of leading others into temptation…

The label was designed by Tinus Vermeersch.

Alcohol Color EBC EBU Packaging
8,5 Red 48 Bottle 33 cl
Bottle 75

napoleon wrote:Anyone know if it's good? Haven't heard of it. Many of the "sours" that have come through the LCBO have been sugar bombs.
BakaGaijin wrote:

$4.35

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

$4.35
What's the time between listing and appearing in stores usually?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

napoleon wrote:

$4.35
Anywhere from -2 days to several months.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Craig wrote:
napoleon wrote:

$4.35
Anywhere from -2 days to several months.

picked up 4 bottles today at the Queens Quay location. Only looked like they had 8 more in stock, but there wasnt a price label out on the shelf so I can only imagine there are more. Also picked up more Rochefort 10 and a bottle of dupont.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

DeMarco wrote:

picked up 4 bottles today at the Queens Quay location. Only looked like they had 8 more in stock, but there wasnt a price label out on the shelf so I can only imagine there are more. Also picked up more Rochefort 10 and a bottle of dupont.

Drinkvine says they have 200+. I'm doing a tasting at Manulife Centre today and they have 72 on hand! Woo Hoo!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Has anyone tried this yet? I want to know if it's a real sour before I commit to a bunch of them.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Craig wrote:Has anyone tried this yet? I want to know if it's a real sour before I commit to a bunch of them.
Just tried one after a bit of a quest to locate one. I wouldn't call it super sour. The sour is subtle and a nice enhancement to the barrel-aged and cherry flavors. Not cloyingly sweet like every other "sour" or "Lambic" the LCBO has released in the last couple years. I would rate it quite nice and pleasant to drink. Better value than the Stone right now.

DaveBar

Post by DaveBar »

Craig wrote:Has anyone tried this yet? I want to know if it's a real sour before I commit to a bunch of them.
Just had one tonight. Very nice and tart. Not very sweet at all. Nice sour, not lip puckering but it is sour for sure. Didn't get a hint of heat. Worth picking up a few as they will age nicely. Big cherry and malt backbone.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:Better value than the Stone right now.
Orval and Rochefort are better value than the… oh never mind, I'll go try the De Leite Cuvee Sour Oak Aged Tripel Kriek Ale.

Ratebeer 99th percentile fruit beer worldwide is not bad, and ticks high threes even among the Cognoscenti. That's very good.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Does it have a cork? Or just a metal cap?
DaveBar wrote:
Just had one tonight. Very nice and tart. Not very sweet at all. Nice sour, not lip puckering but it is sour for sure. Didn't get a hint of heat. Worth picking up a few as they will age nicely. Big cherry and malt backbone.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

spinrsx wrote:Does it have a cork? Or just a metal cap?
Metal cap

Dennis

Post by Dennis »

spinrsx wrote:Does it have a cork? Or just a metal cap?
DaveBar wrote:
Bottle cap.

Really enjoying this as well.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Brooklyn Sorachi Ace finally rolling out