Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sierra Nevada Best Before Date

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

adavid861

Sierra Nevada Best Before Date

Post by adavid861 »

EDIT: Did not see the post in another thread about this. I ended up emailing Sierra Nevada and Von Terra.

Here's the info I received, which most of you already know.

On the first PO to the lcbo, the produced on date was inadvertently printed on the back label, instead of the best before date. As a result, ‎we immediately let the lcbo know. Their QA department opted to strike out the date with a black marker. We have actively engaged with head office, stores, media and on beer forums to clarify the situation. We are approx 300 cases through the 1200 cases order after 10 days and hope to be clear of this in a week or two.

The beer was bottled on March 25, 2015 and the back 'best before' date should have read '21/08/15.
Last edited by adavid861 on Wed May 13, 2015 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

My bottles show the best before date, not blacked out. Not sure if it's a bottles on date or best before date. I'm guessing best before, the couple I've had have been a little lacking in flavour compared to what I've had in the states.
We can get drunker than this!!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Guys: this has been fully discussed in the "New Arrivals" thread.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

To summarize: Some bottles accidentally had the wrong date put on them, which was blacked out. The date on those bottles are the production date, not the best before date. This has been confirmed by the importer and the LCBO.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

FYI seems like some fresher bottles are showing up...BB 28/09/15

Taste pretty classic to me... :D
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:FYI seems like some fresher bottles are showing up...BB 28/09/15

Taste pretty classic to me... :D
The SNPA I had sitting in the fridge a couple of extra weeks tasted *cough* better in my opinion. I can't explain that. Either my fridge is a magical place for beer, or this ale needs bottle time to settle down and knit the flavors together?

Any rate, will buy again. Pales and IPAs seem to evaporate amazingly fast around my place.
In Beerum Veritas

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

anyone seen this in Ottawa? I'd love to pick up a case and support the beer and have a pretty tasty beer kicking around the house.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

There was a bunch of the first shipment in Ottawa (that is now sold out)

The new batch hasn't made it here yet
cfrancis wrote:anyone seen this in Ottawa? I'd love to pick up a case and support the beer and have a pretty tasty beer kicking around the house.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

I missed the first batch them. What stores did it land.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

It was at 15 or so stores in the Ottawa Area. Barhaven location had 100+ 6-packs

There will be lots more soon, don't worry. It's also a regular listing so it's not going anywhere
cfrancis wrote:I missed the first batch them. What stores did it land.

sianspheric

Post by sianspheric »

Finally scored some

Found it totally overrated. I'm usually ALLLLLL about West Coast PA's, but it tastes boring to me.

As far as APA's go Collective Arts' Rhyme and Reason, brewed in Burlington is better than the Sierra Pale Ale, IMO.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I really enjoy the SNPA but in more of a nostalgic kind of way. It was one of the first craft beers I ever had and it will always have a place in my heart I guess. It also has a unique taste to it I find.

But don't buy it expecting a west coast fruity/juicy/hoppy beer. By todays standards it is extremely tame.