Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Summerhill Growler/Craft Beer Destination Store

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Kel Varnsen wrote:Which seems odd. I mean simple math would tell me that with more beer buying options Coors Light is going to move off of LCBO store shelves at a slower rate. But to counteract that they are going to start carrying more Coors light?
There is an explanation. The LCBO doesn't have to pay for their orders for 120 days. If they sell through a shipment before that time they bank the money. It's why they like stores to carry fewer brands (fewer brands on the shelf, less choices consumers have, the more they buy fewer brands). Unlike a grocery store which carries something like 40,000-50,000 SKUs majority of LCBOs carry far, far less. And, even though the margins are far narrower, the turns on macro brands are higher. Their model is concerned primarily with turns, not straightforward profit.

You'd be amazed because this 120 day policy which LCBOs are actually the most profitable. A store that generates five times more revenue might, at the end of the day, be only slightly more profitable. Great example is the tiny store at Albion Rd and Finch. Something like 80% of their sales are concentrated to under a dozen brands (aside from Dragon Stout all of which are spirits) so, for the LCBO, they're paying months worth of orders with house money.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

I was at Summerhill on the weekend and I didn't get the impression that the shop was near ready. They did at least have people working there. I also noticed that they had moved some of the beer stock away from the north side doors and closer to where the new space was. That I can't remember what was there before suggests it was the Cooler Party Zone.

No idea as to actual opening date but currently looks like they are towards the end of the build stage.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Taps are in. Growler filling stations are in. Three of them. Look to be the model from Indie Alehouse. Great Lakes confirms will be on tap in a few weeks.

Not only is this going to happen, but it looks like it'll be eight taps. I posted some pics on twitter.
saintjohnswort.ca

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I know LB is on, but not too sure when. Rumour is that it's our Pumpkin Ale, which is not listed at the LCBO .
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:Which seems odd. I mean simple math would tell me that with more beer buying options Coors Light is going to move off of LCBO store shelves at a slower rate. But to counteract that they are going to start carrying more Coors light?
There is an explanation. The LCBO doesn't have to pay for their orders for 120 days. If they sell through a shipment before that time they bank the money. It's why they like stores to carry fewer brands (fewer brands on the shelf, less choices consumers have, the more they buy fewer brands). Unlike a grocery store which carries something like 40,000-50,000 SKUs majority of LCBOs carry far, far less. And, even though the margins are far narrower, the turns on macro brands are higher. Their model is concerned primarily with turns, not straightforward profit.

You'd be amazed because this 120 day policy which LCBOs are actually the most profitable. A store that generates five times more revenue might, at the end of the day, be only slightly more profitable. Great example is the tiny store at Albion Rd and Finch. Something like 80% of their sales are concentrated to under a dozen brands (aside from Dragon Stout all of which are spirits) so, for the LCBO, they're paying months worth of orders with house money.
Thanks Biegs, it's nice to know they're always putting the customers first. 8)

Under a dozen brands make up 80% at Albion and Finch, wow!
In Beerum Veritas

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

So here is a list of what will be on tap for growler fills. No idea on date of availability, price, etc.

Great Lakes Swamp Juice
Mill St. Distillery Ale
Amsterdam Starke Pilsner
Wellington Kickin' Back Dry Hopped Session Ale
Lake Of Bays Brewmaster Custom Red IPA
Flying Monkeys 12 Minutes To Destiny
Great Lakes Chill Winston
Beau's Bush Fire
Amsterdam Testify
Black Oak Break Of Dawn
Junction Schellbahn Festbier
Mill St. First Harvest Ale

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Neat list - quite a few interesting beers

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Do we know when stores other than summerhill will offer the growler program?

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

what a snobby thing to say "kill the cool".

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto/20 ... -beer.html

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Official Press Release http://news.ontario.ca/mof/en/2015/09/n ... tario.html

Turns out it's $5 for a growler, not 14 as some may have thought.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

"To enhance the overall craft beer experience, consumers can also sample the featured brands for a nominal fee."

so there's a cash register at the growler filling area? Or they give you a ticket to present to front end cashier when you checkout? Tickers are going to enjoy this feature..

DeMarco wrote:Official Press Release http://news.ontario.ca/mof/en/2015/09/n ... tario.html

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

spinrsx wrote:"To enhance the overall craft beer experience, consumers can also sample the featured brands for a nominal fee."

so there's a cash register at the growler filling area? Or they give you a ticket to present to front end cashier when you checkout? Tickers are going to enjoy this feature..

DeMarco wrote:Official Press Release http://news.ontario.ca/mof/en/2015/09/n ... tario.html

I imagine it would be similar to the "Try before you buy" sections they have for spirits at certain LCBOs.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I checked this out after work today. It's staffed by 1-2 employees (first doing tasks, second engaging customers). Samples are 50 cents for about a 0.75 oz pour, plastic accepted even for such a small amount. Growlers are in the fridge to the left of the fill station, and next to that is a pretty decently stocked fridge of local beers. Just outside of it are the normal beers the LCBO would stock warm (the nicer euro beers, and more local beers). The big name local brands and the seasonal bombers are still in their usual spot. I didn't pick up a growler yet, going to wait until next week. Wellington's and Flying Monkey's offerings are next, due mid next week.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Napalm Frog wrote:I checked this out after work today. It's staffed by 1-2 employees (first doing tasks, second engaging customers). Samples are 50 cents for about a 0.75 oz pour, plastic accepted even for such a small amount. Growlers are in the fridge to the left of the fill station, and next to that is a pretty decently stocked fridge of local beers. Just outside of it are the normal beers the LCBO would stock warm (the nicer euro beers, and more local beers). The big name local brands and the seasonal bombers are still in their usual spot. I didn't pick up a growler yet, going to wait until next week. Wellington's and Flying Monkey's offerings are next, due mid next week.
Cool! What were the beers available in growlers this evening? Surely the samples aren't just three-quarters of one ounce though, are they?

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

midlife crisis wrote: Cool! What were the beers available in growlers this evening? Surely the samples aren't just three-quarters of one ounce though, are they?
Definitely not any more than an ounce for sure, but not tooo bad for 50 cents.

On tap at the moment are Amsterdam Starke Pilsner, Mill St Distillery Ale, and Great Lakes Swamp Juice (this iteration being a Karma Citra, Thrust, Limp Puppet mix).