Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:...This is the first time in five years that I haven't made a "haul" trip to the States before the summer, but I will definitely be doing one in the fall based on this release. It looks like this the first significantly scaled-back release since the Board put out that worrisome trade document following the announcement of beer sales in grocery stores.
Same thoughts here!

This is SO Ontario government... Get them the F out of retail, they suck at it.
In Beerum Veritas

Rob Creighton
Bar Fly

Post by Rob Creighton »

Belgian wrote:This is SO Ontario government... Get them the F out of retail, they suck at it.
Yea, what he said

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

Soooooo I am the only one excited about Vitus at that price point?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Vitus has been at the lcbo for the last 18 months at that same price point. Picked some up in Nepean last month.
iguenard wrote:Soooooo I am the only one excited about Vitus at that price point?

walz22

Post by walz22 »

I haven't seen Vitus at the 'BO in Toronto for months and months, so I'm excited to have it back

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

I got fresh Vitus around March with the Ayinger Weizenbock.

What I am excited about is that last I checked, Summerhill has around 200+ bottles of Saison Dupont. A fresh shipment?

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

As someone who drinks all styles of beer year round, I hate the way the myopic way the LCBO organizes seasonal releases based on styles. Nevermind some fairly bland offerings, but 7/10 beers are stouts and porters. Now I love stouts and porters, but aside from spiced Christmas Ales and Halloween Pumpkin beers, I can't make a good argument, beyond dogma, why a particular season needs to be associated with particular beer styles. I think the lack of variety probably shoots the LCBO in the foot in terms of causual beer drinkers who may be more inclined to try a wider variety of beers, rather than needing to tick 7 stouts and porters.

I find myself having less and less reason to visit any LCBO when there are more than 2 dozen local breweries that I can drive to that have at least as interesting seasonal selections (as a group) compared to whatever is in the LCBO, not to mention travelling to Buffalo.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

boney wrote:As someone who drinks all styles of beer year round, I hate the way the myopic way the LCBO organizes seasonal releases based on styles. Nevermind some fairly bland offerings, but 7/10 beers are stouts and porters. Now I love stouts and porters, but aside from spiced Christmas Ales and Halloween Pumpkin beers, I can't make a good argument, beyond dogma, why a particular season needs to be associated with particular beer styles. I think the lack of variety probably shoots the LCBO in the foot in terms of causual beer drinkers who may be more inclined to try a wider variety of beers, rather than needing to tick 7 stouts and porters.

I find myself having less and less reason to visit any LCBO when there are more than 2 dozen local breweries that I can drive to that have at least as interesting seasonal selections (as a group) compared to whatever is in the LCBO, not to mention travelling to Buffalo.

I agree with you. They should set aside at least 1/4 of the spots for other styles not traditionally associated with that season. In addition, they should pay careful attention to the beers that are "hot" in the micro brew community, so that these breweries are rewarded for their latest efforts. Lastly, they should vastly expand this program to include more seasonal beers; there is no conceivable reason why one of the largest monopolies of booze retail in the world isn't able to bring in at least 50 new seasonal beers, instead of the usual and meager 10-20. They need to revamp this program a bit and include way more input from the craft community.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

You know how usually I'll pop into a thread like this and tell you all to look on the brightside and point out a couple of interesting things?

Can't even muster it. Pretty dull.
saintjohnswort.ca

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Agreed

saints_gambit wrote:You know how usually I'll pop into a thread like this and tell you all to look on the brightside and point out a couple of interesting things?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

spinrsx wrote:Agreed

saints_gambit wrote:You know how usually I'll pop into a thread like this and tell you all to look on the brightside and point out a couple of interesting things?

Mmm hmmm. Maybe the Epic beer will tempt me if I happen to see it...but that's about it.

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

El Pinguino wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Agreed

Mmm hmmm. Maybe the Epic beer will tempt me if I happen to see it...but that's about it.
Ayinger's Marzen is the highlight of this release for me. Having the opportunity to grab this beer in bulk for the fall is pretty nice. But it doesn't change the fact that this is the worst release I've ever seen. I guess this is the new LCBO.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

AugustusRex wrote:Ayinger's Marzen is the highlight of this release for me. Having the opportunity to grab this beer in bulk for the fall is pretty nice. But it doesn't change the fact that this is the worst release I've ever seen. I guess this is the new LCBO.
It's the old LCBO, too. You just haven't seen the terrible beer releases we used to get.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

The Stewart cauld reekie should be good. I had quite a few Stewart beers in Edinburgh last year and all were good. I'll buy this

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Looks much the same as always minus the best of the pumpkin lot in the Pumking. Much looking forward to the Epic COFFEE & FIG IMPERIAL OATMEAL STOUT, though!