LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9862
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Coors Light Über Alles?

Postby Belgian » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 pm

cratez wrote:...This is the first time in five years that I haven't made a "haul" trip to the States before the summer, but I will definitely be doing one in the fall based on this release. It looks like this the first significantly scaled-back release since the Board put out that worrisome trade document following the announcement of beer sales in grocery stores.

Same thoughts here!

This is SO Ontario government... Get them the F out of retail, they suck at it.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
Rob Creighton
Bar Fly
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:00 pm
Location: Dundas, ON

Re: Coors Light Über Alles?

Postby Rob Creighton » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:43 am

Belgian wrote:This is SO Ontario government... Get them the F out of retail, they suck at it.


Yea, what he said
iguenard
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1270
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby iguenard » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:01 pm

Soooooo I am the only one excited about Vitus at that price point?
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby spinrsx » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:57 am

Vitus has been at the lcbo for the last 18 months at that same price point. Picked some up in Nepean last month.

iguenard wrote:Soooooo I am the only one excited about Vitus at that price point?
walz22
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby walz22 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:10 am

I haven't seen Vitus at the 'BO in Toronto for months and months, so I'm excited to have it back
AugustusRex
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby AugustusRex » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:28 am

I got fresh Vitus around March with the Ayinger Weizenbock.

What I am excited about is that last I checked, Summerhill has around 200+ bottles of Saison Dupont. A fresh shipment?
User avatar
boney
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1209
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Hamilton

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby boney » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:43 am

As someone who drinks all styles of beer year round, I hate the way the myopic way the LCBO organizes seasonal releases based on styles. Nevermind some fairly bland offerings, but 7/10 beers are stouts and porters. Now I love stouts and porters, but aside from spiced Christmas Ales and Halloween Pumpkin beers, I can't make a good argument, beyond dogma, why a particular season needs to be associated with particular beer styles. I think the lack of variety probably shoots the LCBO in the foot in terms of causual beer drinkers who may be more inclined to try a wider variety of beers, rather than needing to tick 7 stouts and porters.

I find myself having less and less reason to visit any LCBO when there are more than 2 dozen local breweries that I can drive to that have at least as interesting seasonal selections (as a group) compared to whatever is in the LCBO, not to mention travelling to Buffalo.
Lukie
Posts: 460
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:16 am

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby Lukie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:36 pm

boney wrote:As someone who drinks all styles of beer year round, I hate the way the myopic way the LCBO organizes seasonal releases based on styles. Nevermind some fairly bland offerings, but 7/10 beers are stouts and porters. Now I love stouts and porters, but aside from spiced Christmas Ales and Halloween Pumpkin beers, I can't make a good argument, beyond dogma, why a particular season needs to be associated with particular beer styles. I think the lack of variety probably shoots the LCBO in the foot in terms of causual beer drinkers who may be more inclined to try a wider variety of beers, rather than needing to tick 7 stouts and porters.

I find myself having less and less reason to visit any LCBO when there are more than 2 dozen local breweries that I can drive to that have at least as interesting seasonal selections (as a group) compared to whatever is in the LCBO, not to mention travelling to Buffalo.



I agree with you. They should set aside at least 1/4 of the spots for other styles not traditionally associated with that season. In addition, they should pay careful attention to the beers that are "hot" in the micro brew community, so that these breweries are rewarded for their latest efforts. Lastly, they should vastly expand this program to include more seasonal beers; there is no conceivable reason why one of the largest monopolies of booze retail in the world isn't able to bring in at least 50 new seasonal beers, instead of the usual and meager 10-20. They need to revamp this program a bit and include way more input from the craft community.
User avatar
saints_gambit
Bar Fly
Posts: 649
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:38 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Contact:

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby saints_gambit » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:16 pm

You know how usually I'll pop into a thread like this and tell you all to look on the brightside and point out a couple of interesting things?

Can't even muster it. Pretty dull.
saintjohnswort.ca
User avatar
spinrsx
Beer Superstar
Posts: 2258
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:27 am
Location: Ottawa

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby spinrsx » Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Agreed


saints_gambit wrote:You know how usually I'll pop into a thread like this and tell you all to look on the brightside and point out a couple of interesting things?

Can't even muster it. Pretty dull.
User avatar
El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker
Posts: 1395
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 6:02 pm
Location: Downtown TO / Galapagos Islands
Contact:

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby El Pinguino » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:19 am

spinrsx wrote:Agreed


saints_gambit wrote:You know how usually I'll pop into a thread like this and tell you all to look on the brightside and point out a couple of interesting things?

Can't even muster it. Pretty dull.


Mmm hmmm. Maybe the Epic beer will tempt me if I happen to see it...but that's about it.
AugustusRex
Posts: 136
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 1:13 pm

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby AugustusRex » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:06 pm

El Pinguino wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Agreed


saints_gambit wrote:You know how usually I'll pop into a thread like this and tell you all to look on the brightside and point out a couple of interesting things?

Can't even muster it. Pretty dull.


Mmm hmmm. Maybe the Epic beer will tempt me if I happen to see it...but that's about it.


Ayinger's Marzen is the highlight of this release for me. Having the opportunity to grab this beer in bulk for the fall is pretty nice. But it doesn't change the fact that this is the worst release I've ever seen. I guess this is the new LCBO.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9862
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

If you can't join them, beat it to Buffalo!

Postby Belgian » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm

AugustusRex wrote:Ayinger's Marzen is the highlight of this release for me. Having the opportunity to grab this beer in bulk for the fall is pretty nice. But it doesn't change the fact that this is the worst release I've ever seen. I guess this is the new LCBO.

It's the old LCBO, too. You just haven't seen the terrible beer releases we used to get.
In Beerum Veritas
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 759
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:31 pm

The Stewart cauld reekie should be good. I had quite a few Stewart beers in Edinburgh last year and all were good. I'll buy this
User avatar
Blasphomet
Posts: 446
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:07 am

Re: LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

Postby Blasphomet » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am

Looks much the same as always minus the best of the pumpkin lot in the Pumking. Much looking forward to the Epic COFFEE & FIG IMPERIAL OATMEAL STOUT, though!

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest