Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn & Halloween/Oktoberfest Beer Releases 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

DeMarco wrote:I love the reviews of beers on here
TheSevenDuffs wrote:I'm with you on that one. It was terrible.
Napalm Frog wrote:I'll jump onto the pretty good band wagon. Not amazing, but I thoroughly enjoyed it.
MatttthewGeorge wrote:I disliked this immensely.
Blasphomet wrote:Drank one last night. Thought it was fantastic.
You're confusing review with opinion.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Either way, everyone has different tastes and commenting "I disliked this" really should provide zero influence on anyone looking to purchase this. You're simply a thread filler and it's kinda useless. Providing why you didn't like it would be helpful for those interested in this beer. Was the chili too overpowering? Are you not a fan of moderate heat? That would be helpful for those that don't normally like spicy beers.

For the record, I purchased this when it first hit the shelves because it was something new, and it's won awards. I have yet to have it, but am very curious on other peoples opinions/reviews.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Had a Viven Porter last night and thought it was great. Hits the mark as a smoked porter, but the smoke doesn't overpower the chocolate/coffee/roasty notes. Glad I picked up 6.

Still anxiously awaiting Epic Coffee & Fig Imperial Oatmeal Stout and Ayinger Novemberfest.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

DeMarco wrote:Either way, everyone has different tastes and commenting "I disliked this" really should provide zero influence on anyone looking to purchase this. You're simply a thread filler and it's kinda useless.
Kind of like writing "I love the reviews of beer on here"? :wink:
DeMarco wrote:Providing why you didn't like it would be helpful for those interested in this beer. Was the chili too overpowering? Are you not a fan of moderate heat? That would be helpful for those that don't normally like spicy beers.
Fair point. I found the chili, licorice, mocha and booze didn't mesh well. They all fought for dominance instead of being a nice blend. I expect complexity to be subtle, this was not. It wasn't overly hot however, although the chili was the flavour that lingered the longest, which I would rather it have been the mocha that lingered.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:

Kind of like writing "I love the reviews of beer on here"? :wink:
Exactly, and then calling you out.

Glad you posted your opinion, now I know to see if the flavours blend well. I mean there is always RB BA UT and you're not the first person I've called out for thread filling :lol:

maple99

Post by maple99 »

Did the Ayinger Octoberfest ever appear?

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

maple99 wrote:Did the Ayinger Octoberfest ever appear?

As far as I can tell Ayinger Octoberfest never showed up. As well as the Epic Coffee & Fig Oatmeal stout. :(

AugustusRex

Post by AugustusRex »

deepeary wrote:
maple99 wrote:Did the Ayinger Octoberfest ever appear?

As far as I can tell Ayinger Octoberfest never showed up. As well as the Epic Coffee & Fig Oatmeal stout. :(
Ayinger Octoberfest arrived in September. The LCBO is waiting till next October to release it. They threw the cases of beer into lagering tanks and shipped them to be stored in caves near Collingwood.

maple99

Post by maple99 »

How convenient - I'll be in Collingwood tomorrow! :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

AugustusRex wrote:[Ayinger Octoberfest arrived in September. The LCBO is waiting till next October to release it. They threw the cases of beer into lagering tanks and shipped them to be stored in caves near Collingwood.
Collingwood, Ontario - where all the good beer goes to die!

In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now, and showing stock:

EPIC COFFEE & FIG IMPERIAL OATMEAL STOUT
LCBO 429498 | 750 mL bottle
Price: $ 13.90

maple99

Post by maple99 »

shows on LCBO.com, but no stock
maybe by December ...

Ayinger Octoberfest

—LCBO#: 417014 | 500 mL bottle

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

spinrsx wrote:listed now, and showing stock:

Bought one last week. It was excellent. Only two slight qualms. I wish it was stronger in ABV, and I wish it had a bit of a fuller mouthfeel. Otherwise, the taste was beauty. It was all there. Coffee up front... fruity on the finish as the coffee fades. I personally loved it.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Blasphomet wrote:
spinrsx wrote:listed now, and showing stock:

Bought one last week. It was excellent. Only two slight qualms. I wish it was stronger in ABV, and I wish it had a bit of a fuller mouthfeel. Otherwise, the taste was beauty. It was all there. Coffee up front... fruity on the finish as the coffee fades. I personally loved it.
Had some last night and I enjoyed it as well. The coffee is well balanced. I often find the coffee too strong in most coffee stouts/porters. One minor qualm, I didn't taste much of the coconut that it was brewed with. Still a tasty stout no doubt.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Ayinger Oktoberfest at King & Spadina... But it was scanning as a case of 20 at $79, couldn't fix it, and pulled it off sale. :(