Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter craft beer release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

I see they have Lagunitas kegs too. Too bad these are all in the 60L format only....

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

A wrote:I see they have Lagunitas kegs too. Too bad these are all in the 60L format only....
I've had the Lagunitas IPA at Bar Hop and a couple other spots, but have yet to see the Delicious IPA anywhere. I contacted Bier Markt (the first bar to put Stone products on tap this year) yesterday and they said the Delicious is not available at any of their locations and they won't be changing their current beer menu until April 2016. If it's not on tap anywhere, I'm wondering why it's at The Beer Store.
Last edited by cratez on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

mattg

Post by mattg »

I think The Brain in Hamilton is the only place I've seen post that they have had Stone Delicious IPA on tap.

Charchuk

Post by Charchuk »

We've had it on tap at the Brux House in Hamilton as well.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Hungry Brew Hops in Newmarket has it (along with a ton of other great local/international beers).
Trinity Commons in Kensington Market just ran out but should have it back. There's a few other places in TO but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:I contacted Bier Markt (the first bar to put Stone products on tap this year) yesterday and they said the Delicious is not available at any of their locations and they won't be changing their current beer menu until April 2016...
I appreciate the info, although I'm never going to Bier Markt for lunch again. Two crummy sample sets + two pretty miserable burgers, for over a hundred bucks with tip? They even screwed up samples / put in substitutions, utterly pathetic bottom-feeding institution IMLE.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Thanks everyone. I might contact Trinity to find out when it'll be available next.
Belgian wrote:
cratez wrote:I contacted Bier Markt (the first bar to put Stone products on tap this year) yesterday and they said the Delicious is not available at any of their locations and they won't be changing their current beer menu until April 2016...
I appreciate the info, although I'm never going to Bier Markt for lunch again. Two crummy sample sets + two pretty miserable burgers, for over a hundred bucks with tip? They even screwed up samples / put in substitutions, utterly pathetic bottom-feeding institution IMLE.
Yeah, any time I go there it's usually for specific beers and I tend not to eat since things can really pricey really quick. I don't find it to be a "bottom-feeding institution," but they could definitely stand to offer more value to customers.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

Belgian wrote: I appreciate the info, although I'm never going to Bier Markt for lunch again. Two crummy sample sets + two pretty miserable burgers, for over a hundred bucks with tip? They even screwed up samples / put in substitutions, utterly pathetic bottom-feeding institution IMLE.
Damn, that's expensive! How do they price their samples? I only went once or twice when I was new to Toronto, but was fairly underwhelmed. Most of the beers they have are at Sin & Redemption (plus sister bars) for much cheaper prices. Those bars really have some great bargains on their bottle lists...just probably best to stick to "safe" food options.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

napoleon wrote: Most of the beers they have are at Sin & Redemption (plus sister bars) for much cheaper prices. Those bars really have some great bargains on their bottle lists...
Half those bottles are not in stock and likely never have been, and to that extent the lists at Sin et al are a complete sham.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

cratez wrote:
napoleon wrote: Most of the beers they have are at Sin & Redemption (plus sister bars) for much cheaper prices. Those bars really have some great bargains on their bottle lists...
Half those bottles are not in stock and likely never have been, and to that extent the lists at Sin et al are a complete sham.
Last time I went to Sin and Redemption I had Picobrouwerij Alvinne Phi and Sigma and Timmermans Gueuze. All priced $1-$2 less than anywhere else I've seen them.
The only problem I've had with that family of bars is some flat beer at The Town Crier.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

admviolin wrote: Last time I went to Sin and Redemption I had Picobrouwerij Alvinne Phi and Sigma and Timmermans Gueuze. All priced $1-$2 less than anywhere else I've seen them. The only problem I've had with that family of bars is some flat beer at The Town Crier.
I'm glad you lucked out. On four different occasions - twice at S&R and twice at Town Crier - I've been unsuccessful in ordering bottles from Rogue, Van Honsebrouck, Ommegang, Vander Ghinste, and others, all of which were listed on the menu but not in stock. I finally gave up on both places when I ordered a bottle of Abbey Ale at Town and was given a draft pint of Hennepin. When I mentioned the mistake to the server, she said she didn’t hear me correctly, then walked away.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

napoleon wrote:
Belgian wrote: I appreciate the info, although I'm never going to Bier Markt for lunch again. Two crummy sample sets + two pretty miserable burgers, for over a hundred bucks with tip? They even screwed up samples / put in substitutions, utterly pathetic bottom-feeding institution IMLE.
Damn, that's expensive! How do they price their samples? I only went once or twice when I was new to Toronto, but was fairly underwhelmed.
Not sure, the burgs were maybe twenty or so with a few fixings, and the flights around the same. Beef patties were dry and chewy like compressed rubber shavings, and possibly from frozen. They brought a replacement beer, some forgettable Ontario micro in place of the Red Racer - this shows a contempt for good service especially when the place was nearly empty and they had time on their hands.

I was mostly disappointed in the quality of the experience for my guest, that really took the joy out of the thing. But live and learn!
In Beerum Veritas

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

cratez wrote:
admviolin wrote: Last time I went to Sin and Redemption I had Picobrouwerij Alvinne Phi and Sigma and Timmermans Gueuze. All priced $1-$2 less than anywhere else I've seen them. The only problem I've had with that family of bars is some flat beer at The Town Crier.
I'm glad you lucked out. On four different occasions - twice at S&R and twice at Town Crier - I've been unsuccessful in ordering bottles from Rogue, Van Honsebrouck, Ommegang, Vander Ghinste, and others, all of which were listed on the menu but not in stock. I finally gave up on both places when I ordered a bottle of Abbey Ale at Town and was given a draft pint of Hennepin. When I mentioned the mistake to the server, she said she didn’t hear me correctly, then walked away.
Yeah, Town Crier is even worse than BierMarkt and Rhino used to be. Bottle roulette where you need to have at least four choices lined up to actually get what you want. If you are going to stock that many beers design a menu that can be easily updated. Then actually update it.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

JerCraigs wrote: Yeah, Town Crier is even worse than BierMarkt and Rhino used to be. Bottle roulette where you need to have at least four choices lined up to actually get what you want. If you are going to stock that many beers design a menu that can be easily updated. Then actually update it.
I know we're getting off track here, but the funniest part of the Sin&Redemption/Town Crier/PreNup/etc chain is the staff. Turnover is huge. They're also told me that they're not allowed to try any beer when they're working or even to drink there when they're off. So basically this means that their beer knowledge is often non-existent. I've listened to them recommend a Belgian quad to a customer who asks for a hoppy beer. It can be pretty hilarious.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

cratez wrote:Thanks everyone. I might contact Trinity to find out when it'll be available next.
Honestly, the best thing you can do is request it. Sometimes it's the only way they'll bring stuff in. I've found especially with Stone (though it's true of Chimay, etc) the challenge is convincing bar owners/store managers to bring them in - once they're available they sell. Customers don't need convincing - bar owners do. I won't vent on here but, suffice to say, customers requesting specific beers/breweries is often the only thing restaurant owners will listen to.

I always thought it was bar owners that were educating customers about good beer but I've been finding more often it's the other way around... customers explaining to owners why they should sell better beer.