Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter craft beer release 2015

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

bathannerkeley

Post by bathannerkeley »

Anyone have a ln exact date when we will see the stone release ? Been checking stock daily

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

napoleon wrote:
JerCraigs wrote: Yeah, Town Crier is even worse than BierMarkt and Rhino used to be. Bottle roulette where you need to have at least four choices lined up to actually get what you want. If you are going to stock that many beers design a menu that can be easily updated. Then actually update it.
I know we're getting off track here, but the funniest part of the Sin&Redemption/Town Crier/PreNup/etc chain is the staff. Turnover is huge. They're also told me that they're not allowed to try any beer when they're working or even to drink there when they're off. So basically this means that their beer knowledge is often non-existent. I've listened to them recommend a Belgian quad to a customer who asks for a hoppy beer. It can be pretty hilarious.
That is hilarious and exactly the opposite of the atmosphere you look for (or I look for, at least) in a good pub. I'm usually impressed when staff who are not working are sitting at the bar - tends to mean they actually like the place. Usually a great source of info, too, if you strike up a conversation.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

midlife crisis wrote: That is hilarious and exactly the opposite of the atmosphere you look for (or I look for, at least) in a good pub. I'm usually impressed when staff who are not working are sitting at the bar - tends to mean they actually like the place. Usually a great source of info, too, if you strike up a conversation.
I fully agree. There are only two reasons to go here:
1) You want Belgian standards at reasonable prices. Their tap and bottle lists are much cheaper than elsewhere in Toronto. IME, as long as I don't order anything really obscure from the bottle list, they've always had it.
2) You're near U of T and want to go to a place that can seat a group with beer. Not so many places nearby with decent beer.
Food is risky...stick to the Belgian frites and you're guaranteed to be fine.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

NEW HOLLAND DRAGONS MILK
LCBO 397695 | 650 mL bottle
Price: $ 7.75

showing stock now - 80 Bottles in pickering

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

bathannerkeley wrote:Anyone have a ln exact date when we will see the stone release ? Been checking stock daily
First off, ha! Lcbo doesn't do exact dates unless it's rare. (westy and now BCBS)

Second, Premiere gourmet just got theirs, and they are high up the rankings in terms of distro in the US. I would expect something maybe in a few weeks, depending how long the LC wants to test this beer. Maybe a month, maybe after christmas. Who knows, but it sounds like Stone was kinda pissed their ipa's took a long time to hit shelves. So who knows.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now:

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout
LCBO#: 676023 | 550 mL bottle
$4.95

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

DeMarco wrote:
bathannerkeley wrote:Anyone have a ln exact date when we will see the stone release ? Been checking stock daily
First off, ha! Lcbo doesn't do exact dates unless it's rare. (westy and now BCBS)

Second, Premiere gourmet just got theirs, and they are high up the rankings in terms of distro in the US. I would expect something maybe in a few weeks, depending how long the LC wants to test this beer. Maybe a month, maybe after christmas. Who knows, but it sounds like Stone was kinda pissed their ipa's took a long time to hit shelves. So who knows.
Even Westy wasn't exact dates. It was "At some point in the next three days some is going to be sent to these stores." Then, just for fun, they didn't bother to tell the stores in question when the trucks would show up, so people could line up outside a few days in a row in December.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

DeMarco wrote:
bathannerkeley wrote:, Premiere gourmet just got theirs, and they are high up the rankings in terms of distro in the US.
What does this even mean? There is not a "ranking" system for US distribution. Distribution if regional. And, for what its worth, the Buffalo area always seems to be one of the last places to get beer from the west cost, Premier included.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
DeMarco wrote:
bathannerkeley wrote:, Premiere gourmet just got theirs, and they are high up the rankings in terms of distro in the US.
What does this even mean? There is not a "ranking" system for US distribution. Distribution if regional. And, for what its worth, the Buffalo area always seems to be one of the last places to get beer from the west cost, Premier included.
Have you ever gone shopping beer in the state of PA looking for west coast products? Some states get products in quicker than others (obvious) and considering buffalo(New York) would get something quicker than Michigan due to state laws. Ranking may have not been the correct term, but it gets the idea across.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

spinrsx wrote:listed now:

Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout
LCBO#: 676023 | 550 mL bottle
$4.95
Apologies if this was posted elsewhere, but there is now a ton of this out at Summerhill, so it should be appearing in other LCBO's very soon.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

So did Dragons Milk sell out? Can't find a thing on the LCBO site.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

sprague11 wrote:So did Dragons Milk sell out? Can't find a thing on the LCBO site.
Very odd, isn't it. Thirty bottles appeared randomly at a store in Pickering (and they weren't phantom stock; I got one) and then .... nothing. As far as I can tell, anyway. Perhaps they hadn't been lab tested and I am being slowly poisoned?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Samiclaus showing stock...

jajg4324

Post by jajg4324 »

Just picked up two bottles of dragons milk in windsor. Just came in no tag up on the shelf yet and wouldn't scan at register.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

It is a shame that the price of Samichlaus has steadily increased every year. It's now $4.95 for a 330 mL bottle. I'm glad I still have a few squirreled away from years past. Of course I felt the same way last year when I didn't pick any up and the price has only increased since then. If I had the cellar space maybe I should lock in a few more now before it breaches the $5 barrier.