Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO and returns or exchanges

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Coronaeus

LCBO and returns or exchanges

Post by Coronaeus »

I've read the LCBO policy on returns but couldn't find the answer to my question there.

I won a box of booze at an office raffle. Much of what I won I will never drink. Someone at work mentioned I could bring back those bottles and exchange them for something else. Of course, I have no receipt. Is this correct? I know that without a receipt I cannot return for money, but can I get something else in exchange?

Thanks.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Coronaeus wrote:I've read the LCBO policy on returns but couldn't find the answer to my question there.

I won a box of booze at an office raffle. Much of what I won I will never drink. Someone at work mentioned I could bring back those bottles and exchange them for something else. Of course, I have no receipt. Is this correct? I know that without a receipt I cannot return for money, but can I get something else in exchange?

Thanks.
Yes. Only for another product though, if they are sticky about issuing store credit onto a gift card (I love that old system).

The latest I heard from an LCBO worker is the product just has to be saleable - no expired Baileys or ruined labels or leaking containers.

[Come to think of it you could still return some ruined or leaky product by opening it and claiming you didn't like it (goes through as a Complaint instead.)]

You have perfectly saleable goods they should allow equal exchange for, no receipt.
LCBO SITE - If you feel you have purchased a defective product from the LCBO, you may return the product to any LCBO store for a full refund. No receipt is necessary in this situation. When a defective product is returned, the pertinent information is forwarded to the LCBO’s Quality Assurance Department. If the problem is serious and widespread, the department may order a product withdrawal across the province.

Return of a faulty product must indicate immediate discovery. Defective returns will not be accepted when the majority of product is absent from packaging.
^ Return terrible or infected batches of any products too, our taking action gets them out of the LCBO.
More good general info:
THE STAR 2010 - Steve Erwin said Monday.
“There’s no change to our policy regarding open product where the quality is in question. The LCBO stands by its product,” said Erwin.
That means a vintage wine purchased at the LCBO and cellared for years can still be exchanged if it has cork taint or has otherwise gone off — even without a receipt.
Erwin said about 90 per cent of all returns to the company’s 611 stores are currently within a 30-day time frame.

But Gord Stimmell, the Star’s wine critic, said the change is not fair to consumers who have so little choice on where they can purchase bottles in Ontario.
“It’s really another cash grab by the LCBO,” said Stimmell, pointing out consumers are not in the habit of keeping receipts because there are few other places to shop for wine so returning bottles has never been an issue.
“Having to produce a receipt when it’s a monopoly is really bureaucracy ratcheted up,” he said, noting products purchased at the LCBO already have a special number embedded on the label to prove where they were bought.
The LCBO is one of the world’s largest alcohol retailers. It paid a $1.41 billion “dividend” to the Ontario government last year and an additional $405 million in provincial sales tax and $450 million in federal GST, excise taxes and customs duties.
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Excellent. Thanks! I was dreading the thought of having to drink Malibu Banana Shake, among other bottles...

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Coronaeus wrote:Excellent. Thanks! I was dreading the thought of having to drink Malibu Banana Shake, among other bottles...
Aw c'mon, you're just being fussy. :lol:

portwood

Post by portwood »

As long as a product bar code scans into the system (and the item is in salable condition) they will take it back for exchange for something else of equal or greater value.

This means they will take anything back they have sold at any point in time and credit the last price in the system. While this may not seem like much for products that have "best by" dates (i.e. beer) it is VERY USEFUL for things like spirits and wine. I have seen (and bought) long discontinued bottles of whisky on the shelf that must have been returned by someone. A side benefit is the system will also accept bottles bought outside of Ontario :wink:

(they are so laissez faire, they will give you back credit at the current price for an item that was on sale the week before :wink: )
@markhamwhisky

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Thanks.

My rough calculations tell me I've got about $450 of liquid credit to exchange. I'm more excited now than when I won the box.

This calls for a Malibu Banana Shake!

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I was in the exact same position this past summer ~ I won a booze basket at a gold tournament that had a bunch of bottles that I would never drink. Most of it was standard stuff like Smirnoff, Crown, etc. I brought it all in to the LCBO and they let me exchange it for a couple of bottles of bourbon with the difference going on to a gift card (was only about $35 on the gift card).