Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring Craft Beer Release 2016

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There's no real hops character to protect, so the aging potential should be stellar. I keep lower ABV sours in the cellar without worrying.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

weird, the batch from the last time the lcbo had this beer is listed at 6.9%
Masterplan wrote:What's the cellar life of the Cuvee René? At only 5.5%Abv, is it worth grabbing a few years worth or should I just plan for summer consumption?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

BakaGaijin wrote:
portwood wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Wonder why they have the cuvee rene marked at $6.95 on their list.. it is $4.95 at the store. Might want to take advantage while we can..
with "distribution" limited to 5 downtown Toronto stores, one Ottawa, and one Welland store, not many will be able to "take advantage" :wink:
This is just rolling out....it will be everywhere.

Usually, the initial price seems to be a placeholder....not the actual price necessarily. Website has the new price.
Walked in and the display price was $6.85, my heart sank, but went to the cash and it scanned at $4.85....

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Masterplan wrote:What's the cellar life of the Cuvee René? At only 5.5%Abv, is it worth grabbing a few years worth or should I just plan for summer consumption?
Sometime last year I drank a bottle that I'd held on to for at least two years and it was great. Definitely worthy of aging. Strangely though the bottle I had said 5.5% ABV on the original label, but had an over-sticker stating 6.7%... Either way, I think it's worth picking up a few.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

St. Feuillien Tripel is now showing stock. I picked some up from King & Spadina on my way home from work. I had to be "that guy" and make an employee grab it from the back room, but to his credit he knew exactly what I was looking for and was prompt and courteous in his retrieval. Best before date is Oct 2017.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

biegaman wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:Anyone had the Caldera Rauch Ur Bock before? You don't see too many North American craft brewers attempt a rauchbier and those I've tried can't hold a candle to Aecht Schlenkerla. I will probably give this one a shot.
I'm of the same mind, but this one's for real. Really, really good rauch in my opinion. Great value at that price point. Here's the review I posted of it just over a year ago: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profil ... a=biegaman

Unfortunately won't be available.