Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer Craft Beer Release 2016

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ukie wrote:Just returned from Upper James LC in Hamilton and the Jolly Pumpkin was reduced/on sale for $8 a bottle.
I only bought a couple last week, phew!
Good deal, about $6.15 USD.
No harm in buying them for $9.95 either, that's only $7.70 USD & the more they sell at full price, the better the inclination of the LCBO to order more and the less the brewery is penalized for trying to sell exotic and amazing beer here.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Having the Calling beer now.. reminds me a bit of the Mill Street West Coast ipa..

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

I got a response from LCBO on Twitter. Chimay Gold is 3 weeks out and the Saison Du Japon will be longer as label modifications are needed. I got this tweet yesterday, btw.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bam Biere - Jolly Pumpkin - showing $1.95 off at Danforth and Broadview!
(Seems like a localized clearance.)

^ now $8.00, not good for the brewery's margins (and I hope JP are doing attractive enough sales figures to keep them in the LCBO) but great for your wallet and cellar. I got some extra ones while I was in there buying a few Consignment Xinomavro wines.
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Dang why can't Bam be on sale at any lcbo's close to me

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Did the Cuvee des Jacobins even get released? I dont think a single bottle came to ottawa

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

spinrsx wrote:Did the Cuvee des Jacobins even get released? I dont think a single bottle came to ottawa

I saw it in store once. Foolishly only bought 3 bottles

nickw

Post by nickw »

spinrsx wrote:Did the Cuvee des Jacobins even get released? I dont think a single bottle came to ottawa
I believe it may have been the first of the summer release to hit shelves, way back in early-mid May. There were a lot of them at the Toronto stores I popped in at, but for a relatively short period of time as I recall as they seem to have gone fast.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jeremyg wrote:Dang why can't Bam be on sale at any lcbos close to me
Bam is expensive-ish, so yeah.
And why can't they just post online where it's on sale?
Competition not allowed?
Because the cheaper store offers ARE competing with the other stores, so not telling us about it is denying what they are really doing. It even prevents the sale from being as effective as intended.
There's no rhyme or reason to it either. Two stores that are 4km apart can make completely independent decisions, irrespective of stock levels and despite your eagerness to alleviate both stores of cheaper stock.

Anyway, there's always BarTowel... 8)
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Belgian wrote:
jeremyg wrote:Dang why can't Bam be on sale at any lcbos close to me
Bam is expensive-ish, so yeah.
And why can't they just post online where it's on sale?
Competition not allowed?
Because the cheaper store offers ARE competing with the other stores, so not telling us about it is denying what they are really doing. It even prevents the sale from being as effective as intended.
There's no rhyme or reason to it either. Two stores that are 4km apart can make completely independent decisions, irrespective of stock levels and despite your eagerness to alleviate both stores of cheaper stock.

Anyway, there's always BarTowel... 8)
was at premier on saturday, not complaining about $9 Bam ever again!

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

It was released and discontinued before the date the seasonal release was supposed to roll out. I think Rideau and Orleans got some. Didn't last long.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Hey! JAPON is showing stock.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

DeMarco wrote:Hey! JAPON is showing stock.

As is the Chimay Gold!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jeremyg wrote:...was at premier on saturday, not complaining about $9 Bam ever again!
Right you are. Even though PG is not a cheap store, and the USD CAD $ exchange sucks, we can still luck out with the LCBO's buying and selling policies once in a while.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

DeMarco wrote:Hey! JAPON is showing stock.

picked up a few bottles on friday.....deeeelicious. Loved the subtle hit of yuzu in it.