Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Where is my Maudite, Unibroue?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

Belgian wrote:My TBS experience too. They are like a retarded Beer Mafia.
The mafia are actually organized.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

GtownRandy wrote:just got back from the maple ave, milton beer store with a 4 pack of Maudite and Trois Pistoles. despite the TBS website only displaying Maudite keg info and saying the location had zero 3P. that store is the kind with the counter that you order at, so i asked if they had either beer, he looked them up and said yes. came back with a 4 pack of each, which for $10 has to be one of the best beer values in ontario.

i asked if there was lots left in the back, he said "yeah, no one ever buys that" LOL

so there's still some out there, more likely at the counter stores than the ones where you can walk into the cooler
Good to knwo GTown....!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Belgian wrote:
atomeyes wrote:better question:
why did they ever stop making Qu'elle Que Chose?
If I had to guess, because cherries.
Actually, nothing to do with cherries.

Quelque Chose is an interesting story. I had the pleasure of talking with Jerry Vietz about its discontinuation and it's apparently a very common question.

The way that beer came about was that Unibroue had an arrangement with Liefmans. Liefmans sent over a supply of their kriek, which was the base beer of Quelque Chose.
Then Jerry and the guys at Unibroue blended it with their own brown ale. (and perhaps some other spices, etc but I don't totally recall). I didn't ask if it was Noire de Chambly that it was blended with, it could have been a completely different, never released on its own, Unibroue beer.

But, Liefmans went bankrupt in 2008 and changes started to happen. As a result, when Jerry contacted Liefmans one year for his usual "order" of Kriek to make Quelque Chose in 2010 or 2011, his contacts were no longer there, and brewers had changed...and nobody knew of this special arrangement between Liefmans and Unibroue. :evil:

Needless to say, since the beer was last made in 2010, it seems the current Duvel Moortgat owners don't have any desire to help out Unibroue.

End of the story is that Quelque Chose will likely return one year...with a new base kriek, and as per Jerry, it will be named Autre Chose. :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

biegaman wrote:
Belgian wrote:My TBS experience too. They are like a retarded Beer Mafia.
The mafia are actually organized.
:D It's why I added the 'retarded' part.

Also, thanks for the great intel on Liefman's Krek blended into Quelque Chose. Them good Belgian cherries!
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

El Pinguino wrote:
Belgian wrote:
atomeyes wrote:better question:
why did they ever stop making Qu'elle Que Chose?
If I had to guess, because cherries.
Actually, nothing to do with cherries.

Quelque Chose is an interesting story. I had the pleasure of talking with Jerry Vietz about its discontinuation and it's apparently a very common question.

The way that beer came about was that Unibroue had an arrangement with Liefmans. Liefmans sent over a supply of their kriek, which was the base beer of Quelque Chose.
Then Jerry and the guys at Unibroue blended it with their own brown ale. (and perhaps some other spices, etc but I don't totally recall). I didn't ask if it was Noire de Chambly that it was blended with, it could have been a completely different, never released on its own, Unibroue beer.

But, Liefmans went bankrupt in 2008 and changes started to happen. As a result, when Jerry contacted Liefmans one year for his usual "order" of Kriek to make Quelque Chose in 2010 or 2011, his contacts were no longer there, and brewers had changed...and nobody knew of this special arrangement between Liefmans and Unibroue. :evil:

Needless to say, since the beer was last made in 2010, it seems the current Duvel Moortgat owners don't have any desire to help out Unibroue.

End of the story is that Quelque Chose will likely return one year...with a new base kriek, and as per Jerry, it will be named Autre Chose. :D
fascinating. thanks for sharing this!

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

In my never-ending admiration for Unibroue beers...I recently picked up the mixed 6-pack from the LCBO that features Maudite. But then I noticed the Beer Store has a different mixed pack which features terrible and Trois Pistoles...although it is listed as new and doesn't seem to be anywhere beyond their distribution centres yet. Anyhow, just an FYI for other Unibroue lovers.

http://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/unibro ... ier-select

BUT, the bigger Unibroue news I came across is what appears to be the reincarnation of Quelque Chose, the old cherry brown ale that hasn't been made since around 2010. Looks like it'll be a sour version this time though, wit ha different Belgian brewing partner...so a different beer in the end, but I am still happy. Check the link below if you are curious.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I still have 1 of the Maudite and 3p I posted about almost 2 years ago lol.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ha! They're probably drinking nice now Randy!

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Just as a heads-up, the Beer Store now has Unibroue's Winter Collection, which has two each of Blonde De L'Enfer, Maudite, Don De Dieu, Blonde De Chambly, Trois Pistoles, and La Fin Du Monde.

Would that Trois Pistoles be more regularly available here...

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Thanks for the heads up. The only reason to hit the Beer Store....for my Unibroues.
Have a potential Quebec trip coming up so might just grab some over there...

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Trois Pistoles along with La Terrible are in the Unibroue mix pack at the LCBO ... but sadly no Maudite.
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/unibro ... ack/577916
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."