Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Online Exclusives

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

matt7215 wrote:
Craig wrote: gouged by AMEX too?
AMEX is a very expensive card to accept, which is why we dont accept payment via AMEX
Not only is Amex more expensive to the retailer than the other major cards, they hold the funds 3 days. Whereas the retailer gets the money from Visa/Mastercard in their bank account overnight!!!

I've been an Amex user in the past (Costco card), but I have to say, if I were a retailer, NO EFFIN way I would accept Amex ... unless I was selling 'luxury' products with high margins. As much as we pay for alcohol in Ontario, beer/wine/spirits are a low margin business for the producers.
@markhamwhisky

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

portwood wrote:
matt7215 wrote:
Craig wrote: gouged by AMEX too?
AMEX is a very expensive card to accept, which is why we dont accept payment via AMEX
Not only is Amex more expensive to the retailer than the other major cards, they hold the funds 3 days. Whereas the retailer gets the money from Visa/Mastercard in their bank account overnight!!!

I've been an Amex user in the past (Costco card), but I have to say, if I were a retailer, NO EFFIN way I would accept Amex ... unless I was selling 'luxury' products with high margins. As much as we pay for alcohol in Ontario, beer/wine/spirits are a low margin business for the producers.
Even absent all this illuminating detail the original complaint immediately struck me as odd. Very few retailers in Canada accept AMEX as it is and expecting a small (comparatively) brewery to accept it seems unreasonable.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

If a brewer can convince me they will make more money if I pay cash at the LCBO vs. pay AMEX at their bottleshop....I'll never complain about it again.
I know AMEX is more (sometimes much more) expensive to merchants, but I really don't give a hoot. Many small guys Do accept it...so some brewery, please give me a detailed breakdown of me buying 3 of your beers these two ways.
I've asked breweries directly about this and they all ignore it or give a lame answer. Nobody has proven to me it's not worth their effort to accept AMEX.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote:If a brewer can convince me they will make more money if I pay cash at the LCBO vs. pay AMEX at their bottleshop....I'll never complain about it again.
I know AMEX is more (sometimes much more) expensive to merchants, but I really don't give a hoot. Many small guys Do accept it...so some brewery, please give me a detailed breakdown of me buying 3 of your beers these two ways.
I've asked breweries directly about this and they all ignore it or give a lame answer. Nobody has proven to me it's not worth their effort to accept AMEX.
i can't imagine why breweries are ignoring you...

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

El Pinguino wrote: I know AMEX is more (sometimes much more) expensive to merchants.

Nobody has proven to me it's not worth their effort to accept AMEX.
I think you answered your own question :)
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

El Pinguino wrote:If a brewer can convince me they will make more money if I pay cash at the LCBO vs. pay AMEX at their bottleshop....I'll never complain about it again.
Are you trolling us?

Is he trolling us?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I demand breweries to tell me how much they are saving if I pay them with cash not debit or credit. By midnight EST.
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Diehard Amex fan, I guess. But honestly, for the last decade or so, the business side of the equation has managed to tool AMEX so badly that today they look like unusable snobby plastic for snob stops only. Visa may be next one on the chopping block, as we've seen with Walmart targeting it.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Belgian wrote:I demand breweries to tell me how much they are saving if I pay them with cash not debit or credit. By midnight EST.

Haha, beer geeks are all forensic accountants, I guess.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

You guys make this too complicated...

I think GLB is still the best example, not some tiny new startup brewery.

If they are willing to sell through the LCBO at whatever cost that is...they should absorb the extra cost of AMEX direct sales as well. Because I BELIEVE they'd make more profit off that direct sale.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote: If they are willing to sell through the LCBO at whatever cost that is...they should absorb the extra cost of AMEX direct sales as well. Because I BELIEVE they'd make more profit off that direct sale.
we already have enough Ontario breweries that have opened based on belief and not facts.
if you're patient enough, you'll see how accurate your belief was, since I expect lots of these breweries' cans to be collector items come 2018

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

atomeyes wrote: we already have enough Ontario breweries that have opened based on belief and not facts.
if you're patient enough, you'll see how accurate your belief was, since I expect lots of these breweries' cans to be collector items come 2018
I thought we'd start to see more dying off by now too....so it makes me think the market is still stronger than I imagined.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

El Pinguino wrote:You guys make this too complicated...

If they are willing to sell through the LCBO at whatever cost that is...they should absorb the extra cost of AMEX direct sales as well. Because I BELIEVE they'd make more profit off that direct sale.
What's one sale to a brewery? Frankly, you come off as a guy who is in love with their points card, and want merchants to foot the bill for your free stuff.

If I were a merchant, I'd take your AMEX card but be tagging you with a $5 charge for using a points card. Kinda wish the government would step in and outlaw points cards in general.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

El Pinguino wrote:
atomeyes wrote: we already have enough Ontario breweries that have opened based on belief and not facts.
I thought we'd start to see more dying off by now too....so it makes me think the market is still stronger than I imagined.
takes time for people to burn through their savings.
takes time for investors to want a return on investment.
taes time for a brewery to see that they won't reach their 1 year targets.
takes time for people to realize that places like Bandit are absolutely awful with awful beer and they should go anywhere else.

hearing stories about breweries not hitting their targets. a certain west end brewery apparently is actively trying to find contract breweries to fill in their dead fermentor space. they have not hit #s and they have lots of shiny, new equipment that needs to be paid for.

this year, you'll have Godspeed opening up in the summer. they'll be pushing out volume within 12 months. Cowbell in Blyth will be huge volume-wise. Junction's moving into their new space, as is Blood Brothers.
Left Field apparently has 1 or more large fermentors coming in and they already expanded this year.
GOose Island will have a brewpub open here.
the US breweries will really start to fight for market share. i expect to see Oskar BLues, Lagunitas, Stone, SE, Ballast Point on tap here within the year and to eat into local shares a la Goose Island.

go through a list of good pubs. the pie ain't as big as what one thinks.
we're gonna have a big-ass crash. the bigger guys may feel the hit first, since they're fighting for LCBO shelf space and city taps.
the small guys (i.e. Leslieville breweries that move their brewery into the basement during kitchen service) will realize that Toronto rents and brewing 5 times a week don't add up to a fun and profitable lifestyle.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Masterplan wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:You guys make this too complicated...

What's one sale to a brewery? Frankly, you come off as a guy who is in love with their points card, and want merchants to foot the bill for your free stuff.

If I were a merchant, I'd take your AMEX card but be tagging you with a $5 charge for using a points card. Kinda wish the government would step in and outlaw points cards in general.
I dont care about points, but I do care about the travel insurance and related services on my card, which I use often. If I could get the same benefits on a Visa card for the same price....I'd be happy, it would make things easier for everyone. But....until that becomes an option....
:-?