Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Online Exclusives

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

why no heads up on this from Keep6? or whoever brought it in. normally we get a 'On Friday we will have a limited amount of ...' etc

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Did my first order using the LCBO online ordering system over the weekend are received my beer today. Everything was smooth during the process and they were able to deliver 77 of the 78 beers I ordered, with one single being out of stock. That to me is a great batting average.

However...

The six boxes I received were crammed to bursting with these little Styrofoam packing pellets, including the box that contained nothing but cans. I have one extra large garbage bag filled to the point where it can't even be tied with these things, which strikes me as more than a little overkill from an environmental degradation point of view.

As an example, I ordered 24 Hitachino Nest Espresso Stout, and instead of being shipped in the original box (or some equivalent two-four box), they were placed twelve each in two boxes with these packing pellets crammed into every available space.

I'd like to see significant improvements in this area, as while the service appeals to me, the IMO unnecessary waste does not.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ya,
Their packaging is pretty wasteful....even if you do in-store pickups of your onlien orders.
Last time I grabbed mine, it was a HUGE box, with 5 small beers in it. They guy at the store even commented that they pack these orders up kind of crazily.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

They are biodegradable, people. Toss them in the compost and spray them down with water - watch them melt away.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

instantkamera wrote:They are biodegradable, people. Toss them in the compost and spray them down with water - watch them melt away.
Cool to know...although my boxes were just paper and cardboard waste, which I left at the LCBO pick up store for them to deal with.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Son of a bitch. Just got a order cancelled email from the stupid lcbo for my a&g order. I hate them so much. How do you have inventory, take the order and then realize you don't have enough. Oh well, saves me some money at least.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

I heard the LCBO wasn't supposed to sell that 2nd batch. Major screw up on LCBO's side.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

instantkamera wrote:They are biodegradable, people. Toss them in the compost and spray them down with water - watch them melt away.
Polystyrene takes 500 years to biodegrade. Some packing peanuts are not made out of polystyrene, but I'm not sure how to tell them apart.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

ckoop wrote:Son of a bitch. Just got a order cancelled email from the stupid lcbo for my a&g order. I hate them so much. How do you have inventory, take the order and then realize you don't have enough. Oh well, saves me some money at least.
Did you previously get a "shipped" confirmation or just an order confirmation after purchase?

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Well, I contacted the LCBO regarding the packing pellets and they are in fact completely biodegradable in water, as a previous poster suggested.

That makes me feel much better and means I can make future orders without hesitation. My wife will be "thrilled."

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Craig wrote: Some packing peanuts are not made out of polystyrene, but I'm not sure how to tell them apart.
instantkamera wrote:Toss them in the compost and spray them down with water - watch them melt away.
LCBO uses a grain starch based peanut; they are basically a flavourless cheesie.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

So, in theory, would it be cheaper to order a package of cheesie flavouring and mix it with the packing peanuts than to order cheesies? :P

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Craig wrote:So, in theory, would it be cheaper to order a package of cheesie flavouring and mix it with the packing peanuts than to order cheesies? :P
It's altogether likely that the flavouring packet is the least healthy of the two components, so by all means ...

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

rfrf wrote:
ckoop wrote:Son of a bitch. Just got a order cancelled email from the stupid lcbo for my a&g order. I hate them so much. How do you have inventory, take the order and then realize you don't have enough. Oh well, saves me some money at least.
Did you previously get a "shipped" confirmation or just an order confirmation after purchase?
It was just an order confirmation, not a shipping confirmation. But, one the plus side, a lcbo guy just contacted me via phone to apologize saying the web site listed more product than was actually available which caused the problem. He said I could lock down a case of kriek now though to replace the a&g, so not too bad since I'd rather have that anyway!

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

ckoop wrote:
rfrf wrote:
It was just an order confirmation, not a shipping confirmation. But, one the plus side, a lcbo guy just contacted me via phone to apologize saying the web site listed more product than was actually available which caused the problem. He said I could lock down a case of kriek now though to replace the a&g, so not too bad since I'd rather have that anyway!
What's the price on the kriek?