Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Online Exclusives

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Keep6 Imports

Post by Keep6 Imports »

distr0 wrote:CASCADE SANG ROYAL '16 - https://www.keep6imports.com/shop/sangroyal

Keep 6 site says the price is $27.25 but lcbo.com is showing $35.60! That seems way more expensive than prior cascade bottles, no?
The price is $35.60 which includes tax and bottle deposit. Pricing on many of our European and US products have gone up because of exchange and shipping rates. Especially US products. Unfortunately the LCBO does not have standard shipping rates with their carriers in the US so pricing will fluctuate every order. Hope this helps.
KEEP6 IMPORTS
Imported Goods

http://keep6imports.com
info@keep6imports.com
@keep6imports on Twitter

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cascade are amazing, the three I've tried seem well worth the 22-30 dollar price range. I bet the Sang Royal is great.

I respect anyone feeling a same-year 30% price jump due to momentary fluctuating costs seems steep. It's just one example of this though - Canada appears vulnerable to the effect at many businesses & we should sometimes expect it, especially in very specialized goods I think.

We can only hope prices fluctuate both ways! :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I can't even imagine spending that much on any bottle of beer anymore. Insane. Nothing is that much better.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:I can't even imagine spending that much on any bottle of beer anymore. Insane. Nothing is that much better.
Valid, and that's why you have plenty of choice. And if demand wanes, the prices will adjust as and when possible.

Cascade has been a bit controversial here, some might say it's 'not the greatest sour ale company' etc. and I get it. But some beers have definitely staked out the same price range as moderately affordable wines, for example. I can argue the case for some of them being not 'any bottle of beer' if the process to make them and limited total yield is a challenging proposition.

The wine comparison. People who know their stuff don't question why good Burgundy costs more than 'any bottle of Pinot Noir' or wines of other regions - but it's a comparatively small region, the weather must cooperate and Pinot is a hard wine to make well, thus the demand for pretty good vintages of any year guarantees the seller a decent price so it's worth working at that smaller scale and taking on that risk as a producer.

Of course some products are just trendy and most of the markup is in the 'lemming effect.'
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's probably easier to charge that price here because there isn't much competition. Like if I could get the Crooked Stave sours that were just online for 8.25 for a 375 ml bottle all the time, I probably wouldn't ever spend 30 on Cascade. But a lot of the time it's them or a not as good sour if I'm lucky in a local breweries bottle shop.

Although now that you can ship from places like HHOE, I guess we're starting to see decent alternatives.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I'm not even much into sours anymore, so there is that too lol.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

@ Craig / @ Blasphomet, sure and sure.

I'm definitely no authority on sours - I just know the cloudy debris in the last 1/5 of the bottle sometimes gives me a wicked 36-hour headache.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

The black butte anniversary is available online now

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Thanks for the heads up, definitely want to try that one.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/cuvee- ... uze/593649

come and gone? or not showing stock yet?

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Might be new shipment.....I think first one was $32.....then aecond was $25 ....now $29.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

distr0 wrote:http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/cuvee- ... uze/593649

come and gone? or not showing stock yet?
Issues with the listing apparently. May show up yet?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

The importer (Gleemer, who posts here from time to time) :

He also gets this stuff in seemingly on the regular, if you're up to get a case. Follow him on Twitter or Facebook or whatever and you'll get your hands on it eventually.

Gleemer Imports

Post by Gleemer Imports »

Craig wrote:The importer (Gleemer, who posts here from time to time) :

He also gets this stuff in seemingly on the regular, if you're up to get a case. Follow him on Twitter or Facebook or whatever and you'll get your hands on it eventually.
Hey everyone,
We don't post much on here anymore, but thought we'd give you a quick update.

Quick updates on beer:
3 Fonteinen has a strong relationship with us and they've been more than generous. We've had lots of Armand & Gaston, Oude Kriek, Oude Geuze and Hommage come through Ontario.
There should be single bottles of Oude Geuze 375 mL for sale (we hope) this coming week. We have no control over the listing dates and this listing is long overdue (it arrived in October).

It will likely be radio silence on 3 Fonteinen for a bit. There will be a VERY substantial and fun (online) release in May/June (depending on when it is listed by the LCBO). We also have Hommage bio-lambic and Oude Geuze MAGNUMS coming to select Ontario bars this spring (see our website for our client list, please and thanks).

We expect Golden Blend to be made available in the near future. We do not know when more A&G or Oude Geuze will be available for sale. We don't expect any new orders to come in the next 6 months. Seeing how much we've already had, a small break may not be a bad thing.

BFM will be available online by the summer (single bottles). We expect that to sell out within a day or 2.

Best way to see availability is either following us on Twitter or FB and/or following LCBOwatch on Twitter. LCBO doesn't inform us when online listings go up (we actually find out by seeing LCBOwatch's posts)
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Anyone try to do an order today, keeps telling me items are no longer available (won't say which) and to remove from cart, but all show stock. Can not get an order through :(