Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Online Exclusives

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S M A

Post by S M A »

If anyone wants to split a case of Solstice, let me know. I really want to grab one but like others, 24 is a bit much.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

I don't mind trying ultra pricey beers here and there, but they almost never turn out to be worth the sticker price. For instance I did love the FM Invictus and the more recent Duvel Saison, but in each case you can find a close comparison at 1/4 of the price or less, so imo these prices don't just reflect the labour but also the marketing strategy, kind of like luxury vodka. In any event, this doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't become a fad with breweries all vying for who can produce the most outlandishly priced beer, with some questionable addition of some rare wood or ether. Anyways, due to so many beers creeping up there is price lately, maybe it would be refreshing to see a discussion on great value beers at the BO right now, like Aventinus, Sinha or Orval. I can't seem to think of too many newcomers that would fit.

skootles

Post by skootles »

S M A wrote:If anyone wants to split a case of Solstice, let me know. I really want to grab one but like others, 24 is a bit much.
Someone was splitting a case in the Toronto case buy Facebook group.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/199541073908432/

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Not sure what these would cost elsewhere, but $6 does not phase me... I always think, hey, if in a bar a crappy bottle of Canadian or Blue would cost as much.... any way, I bought a pack of each.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

(* faze)

It's not that bad no but I still think a lot of those bottles would be pretty un-special tasting at that price point.

I'm always in favor of lurking around bars (T&M, TOC) that carry reasonably-priced special order bottles and paying twice that for a single one than buying six or more of the same potentially 'meh' wheat or pale ale. I have in the past bought full cases just to have something - that's just morally wrong.
In Beerum Veritas

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Belgian wrote:(* faze)

It's not that bad no but I still think a lot of those bottles would be pretty un-special tasting at that price point.

I'm always in favor of lurking around bars (T&M, TOC) that carry reasonably-priced special order bottles and paying twice that for a single one than buying six or more of the same potentially 'meh' wheat or pale ale. I have in the past bought full cases just to have something - that's just morally wrong.
True, I did that with Westie awhile back, but being a tied down family man in the farthest reaches of the 'ssauga, the chance of me getting out (at all), let alone to cool bars with a great beer selection are slim to pretty much nil ..... so I have to bring the fun to me. :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Urotsukidoji wrote:
Belgian wrote:I have in the past bought full cases just to have something - that's just morally wrong.
True, I did that with Westie awhile back, but being a tied down family man in the farthest reaches of the 'ssauga, the chance of me getting out (at all), let alone to cool bars with a great beer selection are slim to pretty much nil ..... so I have to bring the fun to me. :)
Well then that's not bad at all. Family is yer home. Plus beer cellar.
In Beerum Veritas

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Evil Twin Imperial Doughnut Break
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/evil-t ... ZRE-WfDiO0

anyone know if this will be back? This is one I might actually spend the $ on for a case of 12

S M A

Post by S M A »

Two from Hitachino Nest online now. I'd really like to try the Red Rice one, but the case requirement will make that tough. The other is the Espresso Stout that was here a couple of years ago. That one I'll probably end up getting.

Actually, I just looked and there are now two more, the lager and another, 'Niponnia'.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

Westvleteren 12
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/westvl ... ZWkj2fDiO0

did we know this was coming? did I miss something.....

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

this would be a great time for the LCBO to change it's special import policy so I can buy a single bottle :roll:

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Urotsukidoji wrote:Westvleteren 12
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/westvl ... ZWkj2fDiO0

did we know this was coming? did I miss something.....
also Trappist Rochefort 6 was added to the site today $75 for a 24 (no stock yet)
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/rochef ... ZX5-dQrJYg

and Duchesse de Bourgogne $68 for 24 (888 in stock online)
http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/duches ... ZX6TtQrJYg

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

spinrsx wrote:so the special edition baltic porter is sold out on lcbo.com.. but Keep6 still has it listed as available on their website. So keep6 gave the lcbo a portion of their inventory?
I wonder if Keep6 have to sell it to the Bo and buy it back! Because Social Responsibility. What would become of society?
In Beerum Veritas