Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Online Exclusives

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

LCBO Online Exclusives

Post by Craig »

http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/hom ... nline.html

Not a ton of info to be found right on that screen, but it seems they've got quite a selection available right away. I took a quick peek at the online exclusives and there's a bunch of TM and Del Ducato stuff on there. Hopefully that grows to include a few more hard to find brands in the coming weeks.

Personally, I'm thinking about picking up a case of Birrificio del Ducato Beersel Morning.

mahcinesquad

Post by mahcinesquad »

Craig wrote:http://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/hom ... nline.html

Not a ton of info to be found right on that screen, but it seems they've got quite a selection available right away. I took a quick peek at the online exclusives and there's a bunch of TM and Del Ducato stuff on there. Hopefully that grows to include a few more hard to find brands in the coming weeks.

Personally, I'm thinking about picking up a case of Birrificio del Ducato Beersel Morning.
I looked in ales category and couldn't locate any of the exclusives.

What I did notice is the 1-4 week instore delivery time. WTF.

---

Didn't realize the exclusives had their own section: http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/catalog/ale/11 ... ttype=ajax
Last edited by mahcinesquad on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

MattS

Post by MattS »

I had a quick look this morning and am actually pretty pleased with the option. Whilst I'm not likely to get a case of the "online-only" stuff, I'm really happy to see that you can order individual cans/bottles of everything else. For those of us outside the cities, that's a hell of a lot easier than trying to track product down or having to order a full case through the local LCBO.

I can definitely see myself putting an order in around the time each seasonal release comes out.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

do you pay online for the pickup orders? Or pay when it arrives at the lcbo location?

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

This seems like a great thing for office parties, but I'm not sure how much I'd use it at home. But I say that living in the city where access to good LCBO selection is pretty easy.

Probably a good way for importers to get some interesting beers into the hands of consumers which don't get chosen for seasonal releases. I wonder what the process is to be listed as an online-only product.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

i like that it shows how much they have in stock, especially for the online exclusives

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Anyone know the rhyme or reason behind why some beers can be ordered and others cannot? For instance, I can now have Paulaner delivered to my doorstep, but no dice on Mort Subite or Fullers ESB.

Also, the LCBO discontinued London Pride. :cry:

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Orval_Al wrote:Anyone know the rhyme or reason behind why some beers can be ordered and others cannot? For instance, I can now have Paulaner delivered to my doorstep, but no dice on Mort Subite or Fullers ESB.

Also, the LCBO discontinued London Pride. :cry:
I would guess that it's just what they have in the warehouse. theres only 238 fullers esb in stock chainwide so they must not have received any new stock lately. subite there's 352 in the whole store system, with no new stock since june

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

How does this liquid shipping work during the winter months?

This also reminds me of one my pet peeves about online beer shopping. I have no clue about the brewed on or best before date until the beer arrives.

portwood

Post by portwood »

spinrsx wrote:How does this liquid shipping work during the winter months?

This also reminds me of one my pet peeves about online beer shopping. I have no clue about the brewed on or best before date until the beer arrives.
simple solution (though a bit annoying and some travel to a store required if you take home delivery): upon receipt, if goods are unacceptable (i.e. you think its too old) request a store refund.
@markhamwhisky

Lunardr0ne

Post by Lunardr0ne »

spinrsx wrote:How does this liquid shipping work during the winter months?

Home delivery option requires someone with a valid ID to accept the shipment, so no freezing beer in mail boxes / on porches. I'm assuming Canada Post trucks and warehouses would be above freezing temperatures, so it *should* be safe.

Best before dates are an issue though, personally I'm just not going to order anything where freshness is an issue unless I know when it was made trough social media, here etc.

I did order a bunch of stuff yesterday that never seems to make into stores near me. Will have to see how this 1 to 4 week store delivery works, hopefully soon.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

In the spirit of things, I placed my first online LCBO order for the Baltic Porter, to my nearest store. I intend to return at least six bottles, right at the store when I pick it up, so we'll see how that system goes. Hopefully the store will honour its return policy (with some degree of unwillingness from the rank and file, as I expect) and place the remainder on the shelves for all to enjoy. If all goes well, I will get the more pricey Special Edition, which I've never had before and with some luck get to keep the extra Air Miles. If you're wondering, they charge your card right away, you get a confirmation email instantly summarising the purchase and they send you another one once the product is shipped and (as I imagine) once it arrives at the destination. All in all, a nice standard, streamlined shopping experience (so far) you'd come to expect online. In addition to credit card payments, they should consider adding paypal and interac plus subscribe to ebates or gcr to widen their appeal.

ChampionsPrerogative

Post by ChampionsPrerogative »

I'd love to hear how successful you will be in immediately returning half the order. Great idea!
Me and the boys and our 50. Me and the boys and our beer!

distr0

Post by distr0 »

has the Beersel been and gone already? Did anyone get an order in?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so the special edition baltic porter is sold out on lcbo.com.. but Keep6 still has it listed as available on their website. So keep6 gave the lcbo a portion of their inventory?