Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Craft Beer Release 2016

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

psyched for old rasputin and ten fiddy

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Another really solid release and TBH given how early the holiday beers came out and how late some of my favourite picks from the fall release will likely be, it wouldn't be the worst thing if some of these were delayed a bit as well. Give my wallet a chance to recover and me something to look forward to in the gloomy days of January/February.

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Orval - Great or Greatest?

Seems that I can drink those last 2 peoples that I was hording.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nice! :D Has anyone actually drank a Kasteel Donker in years?

I still have an old one, it's a very good beer but the malt is a touch overwhelming. It might be absolutely killer in braising some beef like a fatty brisket.

Ditto on buying a few 12pks of Orval for the cellar, that's a no-brainer for me both in terms of 'will I still like this later, yes I will' and 'what should I drink, well I can't decide so my default is have an Orval!'
In Beerum Veritas

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Not much in the way of new ticks but talk about a quality winter release! Gonna be nice to have a few of these during ski season
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

alsiem

Post by alsiem »

Nice! :D Has anyone actually drank a Kasteel Donker in years?
I feel the same about the Samichlaus. There's a hot sweet fire in my mouth.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Anyone see any of the holiday gift packs yet? I was at Pickering yesterday and they had some out. I can't remember now which was the one that had four bottles and a chalice glass, but I feel like it was Gulden... it was next to the Belgian 6-pack we get every year, but the bottles with the glass weren't that traditional Gulden shape. It's bugging me, so anyone that can help will be thanked!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15&t=10655
Blasphomet wrote:Anyone see any of the holiday gift packs yet? I was at Pickering yesterday and they had some out. I can't remember now which was the one that had four bottles and a chalice glass, but I feel like it was Gulden... it was next to the Belgian 6-pack we get every year, but the bottles with the glass weren't that traditional Gulden shape. It's bugging me, so anyone that can help will be thanked!

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

spinrsx wrote:http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15&t=10655
Blasphomet wrote:Anyone see any of the holiday gift packs yet? I was at Pickering yesterday and they had some out. I can't remember now which was the one that had four bottles and a chalice glass, but I feel like it was Gulden... it was next to the Belgian 6-pack we get every year, but the bottles with the glass weren't that traditional Gulden shape. It's bugging me, so anyone that can help will be thanked!
Rad thanks.

I didn't scroll down enough clearly since I only ever notice like 3, maybe 3 active threads. :D

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:Nice! :D Has anyone actually drank a Kasteel Donker in years?

I still have an old one, it's a very good beer but the malt is a touch overwhelming. It might be absolutely killer in braising some beef like a fatty brisket.
I've still got a few Kasteels from the last time it made an appearance. It's a pure malt-bomb but still suits me just fine when I'm in the mood. Maybe I'll try a vertical tasting when the new batch arrives this winter!

And Kasteel-braised brisket sounds pretty deadly!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

alsiem wrote:
Has anyone actually drank a Kasteel Donker in years?
I might get some fresh Sami, stick it in the snowbank and drink it ice cold after a really active day (hiking skiing or shoveling snow) - this is a beer that might be better when it's fresh and has the original 'edge' because over time it seems to only become rounder and have less of that 'lager-on-steroids character' Eggenberg beers demonstrate.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:
alsiem wrote:
Has anyone actually drank a Kasteel Donker in years?
I might get some fresh Sami, stick it in the snowbank and drink it ice cold after a really active day (hiking skiing or shoveling snow) - this is a beer that might be better when it's fresh and has the original 'edge' because over time it seems to only become rounder and have less of that 'lager-on-steroids character' Eggenberg beers demonstrate.

I have to say that I don't enjoy the Sami fresh at all, but after a year-two I really enjoy it....although one at a time is the max. I'll usually buy one each year, then on Xmas eve I'll drink the one from the cellar from two years previous. Makes a great afternoon kick start for a long slow evening of drinking

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I've enjoyed Sami with some age on it....a few years at least. Guess it depends what you'r expecting from it. Fresh it's a bit over the top for me.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:I think we need a "beer cellaring" thread ;)
http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=30

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I think we need a "beer cellaring" thread ;)
http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=30
Yeah I tried to start one but then realized my post was moved to a new thread in the Random Talk before I realized. I've moved my recent response to atomeyes there.