Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Release 2017

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

spinrsx wrote:Yeti is listed now
Please, USA, send us all of your shelf turds and rejected bottles
Reliable Beer Critic

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

northyorksammy wrote: Please, USA, send us all of your shelf turds and rejected bottles
Pretty harsh and cynical considering Yeti is rated 100/98 on RB. I'm personally looking forward to this one having not tried it in years. Also, besides Rye King, Bourbon County, and the Founders beers, it's very rare to see a stout of this quality on LCBO shelves. But hey, to each their own.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I noticed Ten Fidy is available in only nine stores. Does anyone know if it's just rolling in, or if it's wrapping up?

None has made it my way.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

BeerIsGood wrote:I noticed Ten Fidy is available in only nine stores. Does anyone know if it's just rolling in, or if it's wrapping up?

None has made it my way.

I bought it all, lol
jk
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

portwood

Post by portwood »

BeerIsGood wrote:I noticed Ten Fidy is available in only nine stores. Does anyone know if it's just rolling in, or if it's wrapping up?

None has made it my way.
order online & deliver to local store (free)
11 cans will put you over the $50 order minimum (or combine with other stuff you can't get locally)
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:... it's very rare to see a stout of this (Yeti) quality on LCBO shelves. But hey, to each their own.
I wasn't crazy about the 'Oak Aged' (harsh bitter-woody) Yeti I had ordered a case of but I'm eager to try the oak-less Yeti.

Also the ST AMBROISE - be careful with the new cardboard tubes!! New tube caps are metal, very loose compared to the earlier plastic caps and the bottle slides out pretty easily so be careful.

More importantly the price is 35% off the 5.95 originally posted here. They are giving this away. Knock yourself out if you want to stock up a good inexpensive bourbon-oaked RIS that ages like a champ for years.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

so we're still missing:

LA MACKROKEN SCOTCH HONEY ALE $5.95 500 10.8
St Feuillien Cuvee de Noel Xtra Strong Belgia $3.95 330 9.0
Komes Baltic Porter $3.20 500 9.0
Abbaye Des Rocs $6.15 750 9.0
Straffe Hendrik Quadruple $8.35 750 11.0
Val-Dieu Grand Cru $8.95 750 11.0
Driftwood Brewery Blackstone Porter $6.00 650 6.0
Deus Brut des Flanders $19.95 750 11.5
Cuvee du Chateau $4.25 330 11.0

?
Last edited by spinrsx on Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

spinrsx wrote:so we're still missing:
Maybe they're staggering the release throughout the season? Still, it's hard to argue against filling the shelves before Christmas.

St Feuillien Cuvee de Noel is clearly a Christmas beer and Deus Brut des Flanders is built for New Years Eve. Both shall be April's shelf turds.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

LA MACKROKEN SCOTCH HONEY ALE $5.95 500 10.8
St Feuillien Cuvee de Noel Xtra Strong Belgia $3.95 330 9.0
Komes Baltic Porter $3.20 500 9.0
Abbaye Des Rocs $6.15 750 9.0
Straffe Hendrik Quadruple $8.35 750 11.0
Val-Dieu Grand Cru $8.95 750 11.0
Driftwood Brewery Blackstone Porter $6.00 650 6.0
Deus Brut des Flanders $19.95 750 11.5
Cuvee du Chateau $4.25 330 11.0

?
Standard practice for the LCBO: over-promise and under-deliver. This is part of the reason why I get a good chunk, if not the majority, of my beer from local breweries nowadays. Not to mention the quality of stuff being churned out by Bellwoods, Great Lakes, Rainhard, Indie, etc. often exceeds whatevers lying around at the 'BO.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Left Field, Forked River and Wellington started mail delivery in Dec.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

spinrsx wrote:Driftwood Brewery Blackstone Porter $6.00 650 6.0
This is now listed, but no inventory showing.

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

Did I miss the Tripel Karmeliet release? I thought I was watching that pretty closely...

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

tyler90 wrote:Did I miss the Tripel Karmeliet release? I thought I was watching that pretty closely...
I don't think it has showed up yet. I guess that's another one to add to the MIA list.

I wouldn't be surprised if they just pushed it into the spring release, since that's roughly when it has showed up for the last few years

TerraFirma

Post by TerraFirma »

tyler90 wrote:Did I miss the Tripel Karmeliet release? I thought I was watching that pretty closely...
The Karmeliet and Deus both shipped late due to...some...antiquated system....um.. never mind. Same with St F Cuvee Noel - that beer landed December 12th in Durham warehouse and has yet to be put up on the web or distributed to any stores.

Look for the Karm and Deus sometime mid Feb/early March. Those PO's weren't cut until end of October, so basically 2 weeks before the Winter program was supposed to start. We take cold comfort in knowing that it wasn't just our suppliers who've had delays with their shipments.

The ST F Noel is a big 9%, so aging won't be an issue, should last at least 5 years if kept right. For St F fans, their Saison will be in the Spring release (probably released in August :o ) and their Brune for Autumn 2018. We also have their 2017 Barley Wine in cases of 6x750ml and Triple in cases of 12x750ml available in consignment available right now.

On a side note, we're going to be bringing in Mags of Karm for April/May, available in cases of 3x1.5L at approx. $25/btl. If anyone is interested, shoot us an email at info@terrafirmabrands and we'll add on to the cases that we've already pre-sold.

Cheers,

Nick

Terra Firma Brands

TerraFirma

Post by TerraFirma »

beerstodiscover wrote:
Maybe they're staggering the release throughout the season? Still, it's hard to argue against filling the shelves before Christmas.

St Feuillien Cuvee de Noel is clearly a Christmas beer and Deus Brut des Flanders is built for New Years Eve. Both shall be April's shelf turds.

I respectfully disagree (though I am clearly biased, being the agent!). The St F Noel, indeed a Christmas Beer, will drink well for 5 years at least. It should be hitting the shelves in the next week or so and given how freakin' cold it is, a perfect winter warmer. Or cellar it until next December.

Deus can be enjoyed year-round, though I wouldn't age it more than 1 year or 2 MAX. That is a beer that is meant to be drunk young to get all of the ginger/coriander/bready flavours. I've had some at Beer Bistro a few years ago that was at least 5 years old and it was definitely past it's prime. The Brewmaster at Bosteels concurs.

Cheers - Nick