Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Release 2017

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

jp_jkl wrote:I'm happy to see Ten Fidy is returning. It's an incredible stout and the 355ml can makes it easy to enjoy all to yourself. They also stack up well in a cellar if you want to tuck a few away for a rainy day.
Agreed. The price has gone up and I still have a few from last year, but I'll splurge and replenish the stock.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

spinrsx wrote:The Cuvee is not as sugary sweet as the Donker. I opened them both side by side
Provost Drunk wrote:As a big fan of potent and soulful malt-forward beers, there is plenty in the above list to get excited about :D

I presume the Cuvee du Chateau is from Van Honsebrouck? Anyone know how this one compares to their Kasteel Donker if so?
Good to know. Though I may need to do a side-by-side myself this winter just to be sure ;)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

jp_jkl wrote:I'm happy to see Ten Fidy is returning. It's an incredible stout and the 355ml can makes it easy to enjoy all to yourself. They also stack up well in a cellar if you want to tuck a few away for a rainy day.
Even with the price now $5.15 it's a incredible-value sipper. Not my #1 RIS style preference but I'm in awe of it and will get a few to cellar as well.
^ Hey, you can quaff 2x355ml cans of Godspeed in like 15 minutes - that'll run ya $7.50. Not the same thing but I also don't know how an imported brand can do this.

On a further review the overall Winter Release is pretty massive stuff overall. Nice!
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I consider this an excellent release but will echo the sentiments of the poster who commented on the missing fall release beers, most of which I have yet to see. Having said that, some of the Christmas gift packs (Chimay and Sapporo) have already arrived at my local LCBO.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

BeerIsGood wrote:some of the Christmas gift packs (Chimay and Sapporo) have already arrived at my local LCBO.
It's becoming an annual tradition, the Christmas beers hitting shelves before much of the fall release.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beerstodiscover wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:some of the Christmas gift packs (Chimay and Sapporo) have already arrived at my local LCBO.
It's becoming an annual tradition, the Christmas beers hitting shelves before much of the fall release.
I wonder. Are these the 2016 Xmas release just arriving now?

Wait no - I got a 2017 Fullers Vintage Ale yesterday. So it is for THIS year. They do care!!
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:
I wonder. Are these the 2016 Xmas release just arriving now?

Wait no - I got a 2017 Fullers Vintage Ale yesterday. So it is for THIS year. They do care!!
2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!

how does KGBO do this? imported, 750ml, 11% abv beer under 10 bucks?

also in Schneider gift pack:
Wiesen Edel-Weisse
Hopfenweisse
Aventinus
original
Schneider glass
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!
It's a disturbance in the force for sure. They must want them to move quick & be gone. I'm probably buying the ones you say as well - these and more items are all at Queen / Coxwell.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

The Gouden Carolus has also arrived at my local store in Belleville. I would say there is probably fifty bottles.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

portwood wrote: 2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!

Wiesen Edel-Weisse
Hopfenweisse
Aventinus
original
Schneider glass
Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted to get my hands on:

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote:
portwood wrote: 2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!

Wiesen Edel-Weisse
Hopfenweisse
Aventinus
original
Schneider glass
Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted to get my hands on:
did not look like that one
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted..
Is that from the '70s or '80s? In the bottle set I opened it's the plain-Jane straight-sided they've had for many years. I have a few of these modern-style glasses already but the beers alone are worth getting.

Those swirly-style glasses do look great with the added appeal of foam streaming down inside and the sparkle of refracted light. Can I recommend you seek out a Konig Ludwig or Prinzregent Luitpold glass in a very similar style. I got this one in Hamburg, a prized favorite named for the Prince that provided the yeast for Denisons.

In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted..
Is that from the '70s or '80s? In the bottle set I opened it's the plain-Jane straight-sided they've had for many years. I have a few of these modern-style glasses already but the beers alone are worth getting.

Those swirly-style glasses do look great with the added appeal of foam streaming down inside and the sparkle of refracted light. Can I recommend you seek out a Konig Ludwig or Prinzregent Luitpold glass in a very similar style. I got this one in Hamburg, a prized favorite named for the Prince that provided the yeast for Denisons.

It could very well be a much older glass, it seems like a number of German breweries have had similarly styled ones at some point or another. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, occasionally gems like that pop up at places like Value Village or even garage sales. It'd add a nice touch to my collection of weissbier glasses.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

Ten Fidy is showing stock. The LCBO's website still has it priced at $4.85. It's not in any stores near me yet. If you're planning on buying a few and want to save 30 cents, buy it sooner than later.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes I saw Ten Fidy already, it sells fast.

I also expect Backwoods is slowly making appearances everywhere, there are allegedly over 500 bottles at 15 York Street. and a few cases at St Clair West (Loblaws.)

You'd forget it was there if you never walked by it.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas