LCBO Winter Release 2017

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Provost Drunk
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby Provost Drunk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:48 pm

jp_jkl wrote:I'm happy to see Ten Fidy is returning. It's an incredible stout and the 355ml can makes it easy to enjoy all to yourself. They also stack up well in a cellar if you want to tuck a few away for a rainy day.


Agreed. The price has gone up and I still have a few from last year, but I'll splurge and replenish the stock.
Provost Drunk
Posts: 313
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby Provost Drunk » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:49 pm

spinrsx wrote:The Cuvee is not as sugary sweet as the Donker. I opened them both side by side

Provost Drunk wrote:As a big fan of potent and soulful malt-forward beers, there is plenty in the above list to get excited about :D

I presume the Cuvee du Chateau is from Van Honsebrouck? Anyone know how this one compares to their Kasteel Donker if so?


Good to know. Though I may need to do a side-by-side myself this winter just to be sure ;)
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9822
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby Belgian » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:09 pm

jp_jkl wrote:I'm happy to see Ten Fidy is returning. It's an incredible stout and the 355ml can makes it easy to enjoy all to yourself. They also stack up well in a cellar if you want to tuck a few away for a rainy day.

Even with the price now $5.15 it's a incredible-value sipper. Not my #1 RIS style preference but I'm in awe of it and will get a few to cellar as well.
^ Hey, you can quaff 2x355ml cans of Godspeed in like 15 minutes - that'll run ya $7.50. Not the same thing but I also don't know how an imported brand can do this.

On a further review the overall Winter Release is pretty massive stuff overall. Nice!
In Beerum Veritas
BeerIsGood
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby BeerIsGood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:45 pm

I consider this an excellent release but will echo the sentiments of the poster who commented on the missing fall release beers, most of which I have yet to see. Having said that, some of the Christmas gift packs (Chimay and Sapporo) have already arrived at my local LCBO.
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 542
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby beerstodiscover » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:11 pm

BeerIsGood wrote:some of the Christmas gift packs (Chimay and Sapporo) have already arrived at my local LCBO.

It's becoming an annual tradition, the Christmas beers hitting shelves before much of the fall release.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9822
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby Belgian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:25 pm

beerstodiscover wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:some of the Christmas gift packs (Chimay and Sapporo) have already arrived at my local LCBO.

It's becoming an annual tradition, the Christmas beers hitting shelves before much of the fall release.

I wonder. Are these the 2016 Xmas release just arriving now?

Wait no - I got a 2017 Fullers Vintage Ale yesterday. So it is for THIS year. They do care!!
In Beerum Veritas
portwood
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby portwood » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Belgian wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:some of the Christmas gift packs (Chimay and Sapporo) have already arrived at my local LCBO.

It's becoming an annual tradition, the Christmas beers hitting shelves before much of the fall release.

I wonder. Are these the 2016 Xmas release just arriving now?

Wait no - I got a 2017 Fullers Vintage Ale yesterday. So it is for THIS year. They do care!!

2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!

how does KGBO do this? imported, 750ml, 11% abv beer under 10 bucks?

also in Schneider gift pack:
Wiesen Edel-Weisse
Hopfenweisse
Aventinus
original
Schneider glass
@markhamwhisky
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9822
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby Belgian » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:07 pm

portwood wrote:2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!
how does KGBO do this? imported, 750ml, 11% abv beer under 10 bucks?
also in Schneider gift pack:

It's a disturbance in the force for sure. They must want them to move quick & be gone. I'm probably buying the ones you say as well - these and more items are all at Queen / Coxwell.
In Beerum Veritas
BeerIsGood
Posts: 219
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby BeerIsGood » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:20 pm

The Gouden Carolus has also arrived at my local store in Belleville. I would say there is probably fifty bottles.
seangm
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby seangm » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:42 am

portwood wrote:2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!

how does KGBO do this? imported, 750ml, 11% abv beer under 10 bucks?

also in Schneider gift pack:
Wiesen Edel-Weisse
Hopfenweisse
Aventinus
original
Schneider glass


Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted to get my hands on:

Image
portwood
Posts: 319
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby portwood » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:53 pm

seangm wrote:
portwood wrote:2017 Gouden Carolus cuvee van de keizer blaw also in ... $9.95!!!

how does KGBO do this? imported, 750ml, 11% abv beer under 10 bucks?

also in Schneider gift pack:
Wiesen Edel-Weisse
Hopfenweisse
Aventinus
original
Schneider glass


Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted to get my hands on:

did not look like that one
@markhamwhisky
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9822
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby Belgian » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:14 pm

seangm wrote:Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted..

Is that from the '70s or '80s? In the bottle set I opened it's the plain-Jane straight-sided they've had for many years. I have a few of these modern-style glasses already but the beers alone are worth getting.

Those swirly-style glasses do look great with the added appeal of foam streaming down inside and the sparkle of refracted light. Can I recommend you seek out a Konig Ludwig or Prinzregent Luitpold glass in a very similar style. I got this one in Hamburg, a prized favorite named for the Prince that provided the yeast for Denisons.

Image
In Beerum Veritas
seangm
Posts: 258
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:44 pm

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby seangm » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:53 pm

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:Did you by chance get a look at the glass in the Schneider pack? They've got a really nice looking one with this ribbed/textured glass that I've always wanted..

Is that from the '70s or '80s? In the bottle set I opened it's the plain-Jane straight-sided they've had for many years. I have a few of these modern-style glasses already but the beers alone are worth getting.

Those swirly-style glasses do look great with the added appeal of foam streaming down inside and the sparkle of refracted light. Can I recommend you seek out a Konig Ludwig or Prinzregent Luitpold glass in a very similar style. I got this one in Hamburg, a prized favorite named for the Prince that provided the yeast for Denisons.

Image


It could very well be a much older glass, it seems like a number of German breweries have had similarly styled ones at some point or another. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, occasionally gems like that pop up at places like Value Village or even garage sales. It'd add a nice touch to my collection of weissbier glasses.
User avatar
jp_jkl
Posts: 179
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:13 pm
Location: Toronto, ON

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby jp_jkl » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Ten Fidy is showing stock. The LCBO's website still has it priced at $4.85. It's not in any stores near me yet. If you're planning on buying a few and want to save 30 cents, buy it sooner than later.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9822
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: LCBO Winter Release 2017

Postby Belgian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:54 pm

Yes I saw Ten Fidy already, it sells fast.

I also expect Backwoods is slowly making appearances everywhere, there are allegedly over 500 bottles at 15 York Street. and a few cases at St Clair West (Loblaws.)

You'd forget it was there if you never walked by it.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest