Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Xmas Release 2017

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Expensive, but a hell of a lot of beers we don’t get here, and I’m liking the idea of returning to classic styles for a month
I do too. Especially for winter.
Yes winter time is sort of German Christmas beer time. Unofficially.
I figure the cost is really <> 2.90 per can (at least by Ontario pricing standards) plus $30 for an 'exclusive tasting glass' :wink: . The glass is really the price of admission for a one-off specialty thing.

In Germany there are many beers a buck or less, but let's not think about that right now! Just organize the tastings and knock them off the list.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

spinrsx wrote:this one?

Nice photo of 500 ml cans.

But LCBO website indicates they are 330 ml bottles. If that's what is actually available, makes the price that much worse.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes I bet you some of those <> $4.00 355ml beers are not terribly special, but they are far from the worst cheapo € .30 supermarket junk Germany can offer (those are amusing for the price.) Looks like some are unusual styles made available to this seasonal market.

It would be a fun thing to do.

* Edit * I have ordered also, #$%k it, man of action not words. I am fully corrupted by you lot, spending nearly $100 on a two-four that will likely be by turns meh and kinda wow. And I thank you all and Cass and whoever is moderating for promoting over 13 years of this beer exploration madness. Merry damn Christmas.
Last edited by Belgian on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

merry x-mas to me, just bought my calendar :)

..... plus I have the other one ordered as well :) :)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

You’d think I’d know how to post pics after like 6 years on this site but here I am.

Anyway...found a Cuvée Van de Keizer from 2012 in my whisky cabinet. I could wait to to vertical, but that’s be quite the night.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Jonah Hex wrote:Muskoka WINTER BEARD stout is in stores. I saw it at the Argentia location at 401 & Winston Churchill in Mississauga. But, as with the rest of the Xmas beers, it's not listed on the LCBO site.

At the same store I found the CUVEE VAN DE KEIZER BLAUW. Between that location & the Square One LCBO, I've seen most of the Xmas releases already on display, but none on the website. So, go hunting soon!

I'm eager for the N'ICE CHOUFFE. Any word on when it's coming? I see the Autumn release MC CHOUFFE has just been listed, but with no stock yet. I wouldn't be surprised if both shipped here together.

I've seen the N'ice in two stores in town now. Grabbed a couple but havnt had any yet.

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

The Erdinger pack is out: Weissbier, Kristallklar, Dunkel, Pikantus and Urweisse. Different glass than usual, with the Erding skyline in gold wrapped around the base.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Jonah Hex wrote:Muskoka WINTER BEARD stout is in stores. I saw it at the Argentia location at 401 & Winston Churchill in Mississauga. But, as with the rest of the Xmas beers, it's not listed on the LCBO site.

At the same store I found the CUVEE VAN DE KEIZER BLAUW. Between that location & the Square One LCBO, I've seen most of the Xmas releases already on display, but none on the website. So, go hunting soon!

I'm eager for the N'ICE CHOUFFE. Any word on when it's coming? I see the Autumn release MC CHOUFFE has just been listed, but with no stock yet. I wouldn't be surprised if both shipped here together.

I've seen the N'ice in two stores in town now. Grabbed a couple but havnt had any yet.
It's a beautiful little beer. Damn near perfect for for the season.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Picked mine up today, beautiful!

I had never seen one and they have this great added novelty, rather than just grab a beer each day (which I kinda assumed) there are actual box front perforations which allow you to punch out the round of cardboard and obtain the prescribed beer for each day. So it's exactly like those chocolate Advents Calendars that we had as kids. They used a great deal of cardboard constructing this pull-out-bottle feature to honor the Xmas tradition of buildup to the big day with suspense and sweet little surprises.

Anybody just unpack them all or do you follow the calendar? They used oodles of cardboard for this nice feature.

The glass is rather nice too, it's a deluxe 'tasting' style with a tall shape and a flared upper section to allow the foam to settle and the aromas to develop. I have none like it so it's a great bonus, looks like high quality crystal-type glass. Also there's a small tasting & scoring guide included, just a glossy pamphlet stuck in the glass which should spur on some thoughtful beer appreciation.

A kudos to the importers!
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:Image

Picked mine up today, beautiful!

I had never seen one and they have this great added novelty, rather than just grab a beer each day (which I kinda assumed) there are actual box front perforations which allow you to punch out the round of cardboard and obtain the prescribed beer for each day. So it's exactly like those chocolate Advents Calendars that we had as kids. They used a great deal of cardboard constructing this pull-out-bottle feature to honor the Xmas tradition of buildup to the big day with suspense and sweet little surprises.

Anybody just unpack them all or do you follow the calendar? They used oodles of cardboard for this nice feature.

The glass is rather nice too, it's a deluxe 'tasting' style with a tall shape and a flared upper section to allow the foam to settle and the aromas to develop. I have none like it so it's a great bonus, looks like high quality crystal-type glass. Also there's a small tasting & scoring guide included, just a glossy pamphlet stuck in the glass which should spur on some thoughtful beer appreciation.

Now, if only you can keep your grubby little hands off until December. ;)
I wish I had the funds to partake myself.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:Picked mine up today, beautiful!

I got one and will be following the calendar. It's sure impressive from the outside, here's to hoping there's some quality offerings on the inside!
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Belgian wrote:Picked mine up today, beautiful!
Anybody just unpack them all or do you follow the calendar?
I got one and will be following the calendar. It's sure impressive from the outside, here's to hoping there's some quality offerings on the inside!
Well it's too late for that, I'm on beer #3. But unless you follow me (Derweg) on ratebeer there will be no spoilers as to what's in there & what I think about them. Not a peep.

I'm opening a thread on Beer Reviews to post comments when the right time arrives.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

So while the 'bottle' version is available in Ontario, the 'can' version is available in Nova Scotia and Alberta.

http://www.canadianbeernews.com/2017/11 ... provinces/

Was curious how the pricing compared.

Ontario: $99.60 / (24 x 355) ml = 1.17 cents/ml
Nova Scotia: $132.99 / (24 x 500) = 1.10 cents/ml