Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn, Halloween and Ontario Craft Beers 2018 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

All of these ones seem to be on shelves as of today:

LCBO 58875 Aventinus Eisbock - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 374629 Fullers Russian Imperial Stout- 500 ml - United Kingdom
LCBO 397695 New Holland Dragon's Milk - 650 ml - United States
LCBO 526491 Cuvee Van De Keizer Imperial Blond - 750 ml - Belgium
LCBO 617530 Morangie Barrel Aged Hibernator Oatmeal Stout- 330 ml - United Kingdom
LCBO 84889 Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 106237 Doppel Hirsch Doppelbock - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 518720 St-Ambroise Pumpkin Ale- 473 ml - Canada
LCBO 417014 Ayinger October Fest Marzen - 500 ml - Germany

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Bobsy wrote:All of these ones seem to be on shelves as of today:

LCBO 58875 Aventinus Eisbock - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 374629 Fullers Russian Imperial Stout- 500 ml - United Kingdom
LCBO 397695 New Holland Dragon's Milk - 650 ml - United States
LCBO 526491 Cuvee Van De Keizer Imperial Blond - 750 ml - Belgium
LCBO 617530 Morangie Barrel Aged Hibernator Oatmeal Stout- 330 ml - United Kingdom
LCBO 84889 Hofbrau Oktoberfestbier - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 106237 Doppel Hirsch Doppelbock - 500 ml - Germany
LCBO 518720 St-Ambroise Pumpkin Ale- 473 ml - Canada
LCBO 417014 Ayinger October Fest Marzen - 500 ml - Germany
I’m sipping on the Black Isle Morangie oatmeal stout right now. Very tasty beer, if a bit thin for the style. But the barrel really shines through. I’ll pick up a bunch of these for Xmas season. I also

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

So the Black Isle we got was “east coast” not Morangie. I mean yeah Glen Morganie is on the east coast but we’re they not able to use their name?

Still...yummy beer...

Right now though sipping on a Fuller RIS. God. I really don’t think we make anything like this. Maybe that odd time you find Wellington RIS on cask.

Drinks like a 6% robust porter. Lately I’m sensitive to crazy abv beers. Not a fan of the EIsbock these days, maybe it’s age. But man. I would totally get in trouble with this beer.

And yeah it’s bottle conditioned. I don’t age beer anymore but I might make an exception for this.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:sipping on a Fuller RIS.
Drinks like a 6% robust porter. Lately I’m sensitive to crazy abv beers. Not a fan of the EIsbock these days, maybe it’s age...
I've always found S&S Eisbock a gross beer; yes it's well-made and tastes OK (Aventinus far more so!) but to me it feels crappy drinking it, and likely afterwards. It's a pointless brew I have personally decided. There are simply far better winter celebration beers (Deus Brut, Van de Keyzer, Samichlaus, any good Quad or Tripel.)

And I will re-try that silky Fuller's Imperial Stout (10.7%) with added Rose petals, it was pretty good and I liked the chocolate notes. I also noted that I should cellar down a few of those to integrate the flavors. It's a great value IMO.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

JeffPorter wrote:So the Black Isle we got was “east coast” not Morangie. I mean yeah Glen Morganie is on the east coast but we’re they not able to use their name?

Still...yummy beer...
So is it Glenmorangie barrels that are used for aging the East Coast edition? I was curious about that. Regardless of distillery, we don't see too many scotch-barrel aged beers on this side of the pond and there's a lot of nice nuance in the East Coast.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Anyone know what's going on with the Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout and Bring out the Imp? They've been listed for some time, but in small quantities and not very well dispersed. I assumed it would only be a matter of time before they were rolled out en masse, but I'm starting to get nervous.

Jay-Brew

Post by Jay-Brew »

Provost Drunk wrote:Anyone know what's going on with the Boulevard Whiskey Barrel Stout and Bring out the Imp? They've been listed for some time, but in small quantities and not very well dispersed. I assumed it would only be a matter of time before they were rolled out en masse, but I'm starting to get nervous.
I've been wondering about this too. The same thing is happening with Rosetta.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Having a Fullers Russian Imperial Stout with rose petal - chock full of deep rich bready-roasty malt and notes of licorice, faint notes of Turkish Delight, chocolate, dark dry fruit.

Scored a small stash of these to see how they mellow over a year or two.

EDIT - I went a bit crazy and blended 1/3 of the bottle with about twice as much of this:
Stone City Ales Timequake
Style: Saison / Farmhouse
- it's deliciousness.
In Beerum Veritas