Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Autumn, Halloween and Ontario Craft Beers 2018 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
lister wrote:I don't mind pumpkin beers. Having a couple a year around October is fine. Just like some of the winter beers in December and January.

My favourite though is Southern Tier Pumking. :cry: I'm going to try to brew a clone this year though with less ABV.
Completely agree with liking a little pumpkin beer in the fall and winter beer in the cold weather. But, ironically, my memory of Southern Tier Pumking is that I didn't care for that one. Recall it being too heavily spiced for my liking.
a lot of people like Pumking and Warlock. a friend of mine told me that Pumpkin beers like Pumking are released early in USA (June). it's hard not to notice the "Anti-Pumpkin" messaging this year.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

While not yet in stores, I checked the LCBO website and noticed that the Aventinus will be retailing for $8.85 per 500ml bottle. That seems a little steep. It will certainly reduce the number I intend to purchase.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

BeerIsGood wrote:While not yet in stores, I checked the LCBO website and noticed that the Aventinus will be retailing for $8.85 per 500ml bottle. That seems a little steep. It will certainly reduce the number I intend to purchase.
it's $4.99-$5.99 for a 330 ml bottle in the US which works out to about $7-8 CDN?

https://www.totalwine.com/beer/ale/whea ... rules=true
https://www.hitimewine.net/schneider-av ... hol-400439
http://www.internetwines.com/rws26399.html
https://kahnsfinewines.securemp.com/bee ... bc5765251d

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Really, for the quality, quantity and ABV of that beer, it's pretty reasonable.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Craig wrote:Really, for the quality, quantity and ABV of that beer, it's pretty reasonable.
Point taken, but I remember it being below $5 last time we had it. Maybe I'm mistaken...

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Bobsy wrote:
Craig wrote:Really, for the quality, quantity and ABV of that beer, it's pretty reasonable.
Point taken, but I remember it being below $5 last time we had it. Maybe I'm mistaken...
$5.60 in 2014 according to an old forum post. That's a big price increase.
Here's to the slow path.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It was a steal. If it were originally listed at 9 bucks nobody would have bat an eye. If Bellwoods made it 14 would seem reasonable to many.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

It's a big jump from what I last recall. Also, the ABV hasn't changed significantly, so...

Anyway, random observation. I'll buy a few, as I love it, just a little sticker shock this time around.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

9 bucks for that eisbock is fair. It was ridiculously cheap the last time it showed up here. I'm just glad it finally came back because nothing else really compares; just an exquisite beer top to bottom.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well I'd guess the Eisbock is not something anyone is buying a ton of.

The regular Aventinus is still my preferred version from this excellent brewer S&S. That's a 500ml 8.1% Weizen Doppelbock from Germany for $3.50.

In Beerum Veritas

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Schneider's Tap 6 Aventinus is also an exquisite beer, but I just love their eisbock. You're right in that it's certainly not something I'd need a case of. Last time around I only bought three or four bottles (and ended up trading one).

Something as rich as that eisbock should be saved for an important night. I treat it the same way I treat Samichlaus - once a year at most. Maybe two if it's a particularly excellent and/or terrible year ;)

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Has the Fuller's Russian Imperial Stout come & gone already? The LCBO listing gives it a release date of September 18th, and there seems to be none in the system.

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

skaghevn wrote:Has the Fuller's Russian Imperial Stout come & gone already? The LCBO listing gives it a release date of September 18th, and there seems to be none in the system.
Don't think it's hit the shelves yet.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

darmokandjalad wrote:... Something as rich as (Schneider @ Sohn) eisbock should be saved for an important night. I treat it the same way I treat Samichlaus - once a year at most. Maybe two if it's a particularly excellent and/or terrible year ;)
I find the S&S Weizen Eisbock a little too much even compared to the Sami.

I think Samichlaus is great, wish I had one right now. Maybe I'll crack a 2008 vintage Thomas Hardy's Ale. The 06 is also stellar but could use another 5-10 years to peak.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

skaghevn wrote:Has the Fuller's Russian Imperial Stout come & gone already? The LCBO listing gives it a release date of September 18th, and there seems to be none in the system.
While the beer is listed on the LCBO website, no stores are showing any inventory as of 5:45PM today. Speaking of Fuller's, I'm assuming and hoping the Vintage Ale will make its annual migration to LCBO shelves.