Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Winter Seasonal Craft Beer Release 2018/19

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Also they came out like Nov 30th. So if you didn't see it in the first couple days you were days behind which takes some of the fun out of the advent calendar.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

seangm wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:My wife’s cousin works at the LCBO. I know from him that there were many of the German calendars leftover after Christmas last year. I got one on Feb 1 for about 40% original price if I remember correctly. His store couldn’t wait to get rid of them. Not surprised they aren’t back.
Yet from my recollection anytime a craft beer calendar has been listed it's limited quantities and sells out quickly. Maybe they should actually listen to the consumers and source some local options. I got the German calendar last year, and while it was fun to try beers I've never had before, most of them were unremarkable, safe options. I'm willing to bet a craft beer advent would sell much better.

I don't doubt you are correct. But, one big box taking up floor space is the same as another to a lot of the people making decisions I'd wager. Beer is beer is beer.....

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Coronaeus wrote:
seangm wrote:
Coronaeus wrote:My wife’s cousin works at the LCBO. I know from him that there were many of the German calendars leftover after Christmas last year. I got one on Feb 1 for about 40% original price if I remember correctly. His store couldn’t wait to get rid of them. Not surprised they aren’t back.
Yet from my recollection anytime a craft beer calendar has been listed it's limited quantities and sells out quickly. Maybe they should actually listen to the consumers and source some local options. I got the German calendar last year, and while it was fun to try beers I've never had before, most of them were unremarkable, safe options. I'm willing to bet a craft beer advent would sell much better.

I don't doubt you are correct. But, one big box taking up floor space is the same as another to a lot of the people making decisions I'd wager. Beer is beer is beer.....
Oh totally, I agree. Sadly for how far they've come I still feel like beer is treated like second class by the LCBO.

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote:Sadly for how far they've come I still feel like beer is treated like second class by the LCBO.
1st class -> wine
2nd class -> spirits
3rd class -> beer

check the number of SKUs listed in any given bi-weekly "vintages" release
@markhamwhisky

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

portwood wrote:
seangm wrote:Sadly for how far they've come I still feel like beer is treated like second class by the LCBO.
1st class -> wine
2nd class -> spirits
3rd class -> beer

check the number of SKUs listed in any given bi-weekly "vintages" release
Good point, I lumped wine/spirits together as first; wine is definitely the winner.

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Craig wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Nice list, looking forward to Traquair Jacobite Ale and Oskar Blues Hot Box Coffee Porter.

Insel Kreide could be a good one for the holidays. From the north German brewer: "A seductive beer for festive occasions: brewed with chalky water and fermented with Bière Brut yeast. Delicate fruity bouquet of white grapes and pear. Fine-bubbled, subtly effervescent with a discreet acidity and a dry finish. The sophisticated refresher from the Baltic sea’s white bathing resorts." I can't say I've heard of a beer brewed with "chalky water" before. Maybe this is a bad translation?

I'll probably be getting most of the first dozen items listed there. I also love that much of this is smaller format.

Intrigued by some of the listings with limited details: Peanut Butter Shake, Winter Stout, Hops, Barrel Aged Barley Wine — all good things in my book!

How dare you post this before Nov 11! :roll:
I'm dying to try WINTER.
WINTER is Anderson Winter Ale:
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Grand cru Abbaye des Rocs now in store. Great value for $6.45 for 750ml of ratebeer 100 rated Belgian beer.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/grand- ... ocs/633826

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Just drank a bottle. Top notch. Will be stocking up!

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

bradb wrote:Dang, another winter release without Westmalle Tripel making a return. The Dubbel is nice but I covet the Tripel.
Ask and ye shall receive. I was pleasantly surprised to see the tripel on the shelves of the Maple Leaf Square LCBO this afternoon.

bradb

Post by bradb »

Provost Drunk wrote:
bradb wrote:Dang, another winter release without Westmalle Tripel making a return. The Dubbel is nice but I covet the Tripel.
Ask and ye shall receive. I was pleasantly surprised to see the tripel on the shelves of the Maple Leaf Square LCBO this afternoon.
Oh hell yes! What a nice surprise.

Jonah Hex

Post by Jonah Hex »

Ceecee wrote:LCBO 426700 Mein Aventinus Barrique - 750 ml - Germany

LCBO 634097 Gulden Draak Brewmaster Whisky Barrel Edition - 750 ml - Belgium
I don't know what's WRONG with the LCBO sites, but I can't find that BARRIQUE on any of them ... but I bought a bottle of it at the Mississauga Meadowvale Town Centre location on Sunday. BTW, it's labelled SCHNEIDER CUVEE BARRIQUE, part of their TapX series. Nice beer, considerably more understated than the Pannil.

Did the DRAAK BREWMASTER ever come out?
Scott T.
No, I will not "beam you up."

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

It's no world beater, but the Silkie Stout at 2 bucks and a dime has been a semi-regular for me.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo