LCBO Winter Seasonal Craft Beer Release 19/20

This forum is for discussing current and upcoming LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Store releases and policies.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

Provost Drunk
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: LCBO Winter Seasonal Craft Beer Release 19/20

Postby Provost Drunk » Sun May 17, 2020 2:59 pm

spinrsx wrote:I hear we are getting Cigar City Marshal Zhukov..
Edited the list below thanks to JaseWescott, a lot of repeats from previous years as always:
ONTARIO CRAFT BEERS

...

TBD - King Kung Imperial Stout - 473mL

...


I don't think that I ever saw this on shelves and it's never been listed online to my knowledge. Didn't have a SKU even when news of the release broke so maybe something happened?
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: LCBO Winter Seasonal Craft Beer Release 19/20

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sun May 17, 2020 3:18 pm

Provost Drunk wrote:
spinrsx wrote:I hear we are getting Cigar City Marshal Zhukov..
Edited the list below thanks to JaseWescott, a lot of repeats from previous years as always:
ONTARIO CRAFT BEERS

...

TBD - King Kung Imperial Stout - 473mL

...


I don't think that I ever saw this on shelves and it's never been listed online to my knowledge. Didn't have a SKU even when news of the release broke so maybe something happened?


I saw this on the shelves in town(Guelph) about a week ago.
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9927
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby Belgian » Sun May 17, 2020 4:10 pm

Provost Drunk wrote:Marshal Zhukov is available online again. I jumped on it after missing out earlier. I'd assume that the lone bottle that Belgian found at Summerhill was a return, but this was sold out a month or so ago and now in stock again so maybe a new shipment did arrive?

There were a few cases that seemed to be moving fast. I just wanted to try one and pass on the word.
In Beerum Veritas
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Sun May 17, 2020 4:25 pm

Belgian wrote:
Provost Drunk wrote:Marshal Zhukov is available online again. I jumped on it after missing out earlier. I'd assume that the lone bottle that Belgian found at Summerhill was a return, but this was sold out a month or so ago and now in stock again so maybe a new shipment did arrive?

There were a few cases that seemed to be moving fast. I just wanted to try one and pass on the word.


Nice beer. Not worth the $$ imo.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
portwood
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:56 pm
Location: Markham
Contact:

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby portwood » Sun May 17, 2020 4:59 pm

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Nice beer. Not worth the $$ imo.

+1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)
@markhamwhisky
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9927
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby Belgian » Sun May 17, 2020 8:23 pm

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Nice beer. Not worth the $$ imo.

+1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)

I was wondering at the high price, but I like it. Heavily built. The flavors are dense and carry on for a loooong time... it's a good hybrid of UK traditional and USA style RIS, with some nice leathery tones setting off the ample richness.

There are many good RIS though.
In Beerum Veritas
Provost Drunk
Posts: 320
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:36 am
Location: Toronto

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby Provost Drunk » Mon May 18, 2020 12:18 pm

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Nice beer. Not worth the $$ imo.

+1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)

I was wondering at the high price, but I like it. Heavily built. The flavors are dense and carry on for a loooong time... it's a good hybrid of UK traditional and USA style RIS, with some nice leathery tones setting off the ample richness.

There are many good RIS though.


To each their own, and $20 is steep, but I'm pretty price inelastic when it comes to things that I really like. I've only had this beer once before, but I remember it being pretty special. RIS is my favourite style though. There are other styles for which a $20 price tag would make me balk.

Curious what other good non-barrel aged, non-adjunct laden RIS are available right now. Yeti leans too far to the hoppy American interpretation for me. I miss having Ten Fidy at the LCBO. Rat Queen is probably the best Ontario brewed RIS that I've tried.
User avatar
MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly
Posts: 795
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm
Location: Woolwich, ON
Contact:

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby MatttthewGeorge » Mon May 18, 2020 4:00 pm

Provost Drunk wrote:
Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:+1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)

I was wondering at the high price, but I like it. Heavily built. The flavors are dense and carry on for a loooong time... it's a good hybrid of UK traditional and USA style RIS, with some nice leathery tones setting off the ample richness.

There are many good RIS though.


To each their own, and $20 is steep, but I'm pretty price inelastic when it comes to things that I really like. I've only had this beer once before, but I remember it being pretty special. RIS is my favourite style though. There are other styles for which a $20 price tag would make me balk.

Curious what other good non-barrel aged, non-adjunct laden RIS are available right now. Yeti leans too far to the hoppy American interpretation for me. I miss having Ten Fidy at the LCBO. Rat Queen is probably the best Ontario brewed RIS that I've tried.


Agree with your assessment Belgian: flavour was great, but many good RIS. And at less cash.

Bourbon barrel RIS is my favourite style, but you don’t get there without a good RIS base. Big fan of Ten Fidy, Yeti, Rat Queen, plus I like Tempest, Until Proven Guilty, The Loneliness... Willabald has a non-barrel, non-adjunct RIS now that I’ve heard good things about. None of these beers are $20 per 650ml though.
untappd/tweetbox/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9927
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby Belgian » Mon May 18, 2020 10:38 pm

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Agree with your assessment Belgian: flavour was great, but many good RIS. And at less cash.
... Willabald has a non-barrel, non-adjunct RIS now that I’ve heard good things about. None of these beers are $20 per 650ml though.

There's cheaper than Zhukov, no argument but I still think it's worth it. It's probably a case where the brewery can make exactly the proud Flagship beer it wants to, in a limited quantity and then maybe charge enough to not really care if they could sell more.
I've had probably 100 or so RIS and this one stands out as having some of the best traits of top picks. Imperial Stouts can sometime seem be so much work to drink and this one is kind of smooth and big while also very complex, such a pleasure. Cheap or not!

Disclaimer: I'm also a wine guy, so in that world a 30% increase in quality for a 80% increase in price is… not terrible, actual pretty normal if you care about the uniqueness of the experience and all that Jazz. Value like taste is subjective righ?
In Beerum Veritas
beerstodiscover
Bar Fly
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby beerstodiscover » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:53 pm

I debated keeping this to myself until I can make it back to the store: Marshal Zhukov has been reduced to $15 (even online), but it scans for a rock-bottom $10 at Summerhill LCBO. Yeti is marked down to $9 at the same store.

I love having big bottles of big stouts on hand.

Update: looks like Marshal Zhukov stock has dwindled at Sumemrhill
Last edited by beerstodiscover on Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:55 am
Location: Guelph

Re: Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout

Postby sofakingdrunk » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:15 am

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:+1 (not worth $20, even for 650Ml)

I was wondering at the high price, but I like it. Heavily built. The flavors are dense and carry on for a loooong time... it's a good hybrid of UK traditional and USA style RIS, with some nice leathery tones setting off the ample richness.

There are many good RIS though.


To each their own, and $20 is steep, but I'm pretty price inelastic when it comes to things that I really like. I've only had this beer once before, but I remember it being pretty special. RIS is my favourite style though. There are other styles for which a $20 price tag would make me balk.

Curious what other good non-barrel aged, non-adjunct laden RIS are available right now. Yeti leans too far to the hoppy American interpretation for me. I miss having Ten Fidy at the LCBO. Rat Queen is probably the best Ontario brewed RIS that I've tried.[/quote]

Agree with your assessment Belgian: flavour was great, but many good RIS. And at less cash.

Bourbon barrel RIS is my favourite style, but you don’t get there without a good RIS base. Big fan of Ten Fidy, Yeti, Rat Queen, plus I like Tempest, Until Proven Guilty, The Loneliness... Willabald has a non-barrel, non-adjunct RIS now that I’ve heard good things about. None of these beers are $20 per 650ml though.[/quote]



I just had that Willibald stout the other day, quite nice but there was some heat to it. Not in the same (local)conversation as The Loneliness or Rat Queen IMO. Tasty, none the less
User avatar
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend
Posts: 9927
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 6:15 pm
Location: Earth

Zukhov RIS

Postby Belgian » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:17 pm

I grabbed a few at $14.95, good enough deal for me thanks!

$10.00 is absurdly cheap and the lowest discount I may have ever seen at the LCBO. As though the mere presence of so much Zhukov at Summerhill caused a furrowed brow so the management went, 'away, Zhukov! Just f#%* off!' :D Too bad there's zero store coordination (or accountability.) $14.95 though competes with the best BBARIS Ontario offerings.

I also grabbed the Cascade Rose City Sour for a few bucks off, 20% honestly their Vitis Noble (at 25% off) is one of the finest iterations of Cascade wild soured ales. I didn't not care nearly as much for the Sang Royal which is also on clearout but it's still fine and that's my personal taste.

Anyone try the Midnight Bramble, it looks promising and I enjoy Cascade beers although some can be a bit same-y.
In Beerum Veritas

Return to “LCBO, Beer Store and Grocery Stores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron