Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Seasonal Craft Beer Release 19/20

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

is it just me, or is the LCBO worse than ever at getting these seasonal beers released in a timely fashion (or even at all)

you'd think after all this time the process would be streamlined to some extent

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I think it's about the same as it's always been, which is to say very bad.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

spinrsx wrote:is it just me, or is the LCBO worse than ever at getting these seasonal beers released in a timely fashion (or even at all)

As one of my teachers used to say, “you think there is a bottom below which things can’t sink, then...”

Gleemer Imports

Post by Gleemer Imports »

spinrsx wrote:is it just me, or is the LCBO worse than ever at getting these seasonal beers released in a timely fashion (or even at all)

The issue with the delays is an interesting one.
It's a dance between the brewery not having thousands of bottles of beer sitting around and waiting to be shipped to the LCBO, and the LCBO pushing the purchase order across the finish line (things tend to drag for various reasons on their end) to trigger the shipment.

In Oerbier's case, by the time it was pushed across the finish line, we had to wait for a more recent batch of Oerbier to complete bottle refermentation. That added 1 month.

The order was then held up at the LCBO because they decided the labeling was not compliant for the Ontario market ("Extra Strong Beer" was on the label but it was not in French as well, and ingredients said "contains" and you cannot say "contains" in accordance with the LCBO's labeling rules).
What was supposed to be a late November release easily turns into a February release
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Gleemer Imports wrote:

The issue with the delays is an interesting one.
It's a dance between the brewery not having thousands of bottles of beer sitting around and waiting to be shipped to the LCBO, and the LCBO pushing the purchase order across the finish line (things tend to drag for various reasons on their end) to trigger the shipment.

In Oerbier's case, by the time it was pushed across the finish line, we had to wait for a more recent batch of Oerbier to complete bottle refermentation. That added 1 month.

The order was then held up at the LCBO because they decided the labeling was not compliant for the Ontario market ("Extra Strong Beer" was on the label but it was not in French as well, and ingredients said "contains" and you cannot say "contains" in accordance with the LCBO's labeling rules).
What was supposed to be a late November release easily turns into a February release
I work in the auto industry and see equally strange stuff - like an OEM wanting something by a certain date, but not issuing a PO soon enough to allow the supply chain to deliver.

Funny world we live in.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

saw the Yeti stout on the shelf in Ottawa last night, I don't see it on the lcbo webpage though - unless I'm missing something

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

13444 Renaissance Tribute Barley Wine 2018 - 500mL — Just saw this one. Good price at ~$6.50, haven't tried it yet. And it's not viewable on LCBO.com.

roland

Post by roland »

beerstodiscover wrote:13444 Renaissance Tribute Barley Wine 2018 - 500mL — Just saw this one. Good price at ~$6.50, haven't tried it yet. And it's not viewable on LCBO.com.
Hi, do you remember which LCBO store?

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

roland wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:13444 Renaissance Tribute Barley Wine 2018 - 500mL — Just saw this one. Good price at ~$6.50, haven't tried it yet. And it's not viewable on LCBO.com.
I saw some bottles at the Queen's Quay LCBO about a month ago when I last stocked up.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Provost Drunk wrote:
roland wrote:
I saw some bottles at the Queen's Quay LCBO about a month ago when I last stocked up.
Got this at VP and Ellesmere. Its OK, doesnt have the full body and flavour that I want in a barleywine. Worth buying a bottle but I probably wont get anymore. Man I miss Where The Buffalo Roam. Now that is good stuff.

Anyways it is much better than Garrison Ol Fog Burner, a drain pour that came to the LCBO in the winter release.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

roland wrote:Hi, do you remember which LCBO store?
Wilson/Dufferin
ry_kinney wrote:Anyways it is much better than Garrison Ol Fog Burner, a drain pour that came to the LCBO in the winter release.
Sorry to hear that I had high hopes for the one in my cellar.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:
roland wrote:Hi, do you remember which LCBO store?
Wilson/Dufferin
ry_kinney wrote:Anyways it is much better than Garrison Ol Fog Burner, a drain pour that came to the LCBO in the winter release.
Sorry to hear that I had high hopes for the one in my cellar.

The Great Lakes barley wine is outstanding

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ukie wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:
spinrsx wrote:No official list yet.. but I hear we are getting Cigar City Marshal Zhukov bombers
HelloLCBO told me this year's Winter list hasn't been finalized yet but that was 2+ weeks ago. you might want to rename this thread 19/20 so people don't get confused with last years Winter list.
In the local store and one of the staff told me he thought everything was pretty much in.
Well that ^^^ was November and I just got a Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout at Summerhill.

Merry Christmas... in May, and I assume this shipment must be perfectly matured for drinking now unless it's a new batch?

Also GD Yeti is clearance priced at Summerhill LCBO so grab a deal if you want it.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:
Ukie wrote:
spinrsx wrote:No official list yet.. but I hear we are getting Cigar City Marshal Zhukov bombers
In the local store and one of the staff told me he thought everything was pretty much in.
Well that ^^^ was November and I just got a Cigar City Marshal Zhukov Russian Imperial Stout at Summerhill.

Merry Christmas... in May, and I assume this shipment must be perfectly matured for drinking now unless it's a new batch?

Also GD Yeti is clearance priced at Summerhill LCBO so grab a deal if you want it.
I ordered Marshal Zhukov & Yeti off the LCBO site on Feb 26.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Ukie wrote:

I ordered Marshal Zhukov & Yeti off the LCBO site on Feb 26.
Marshal Zhukov is available online again. I jumped on it after missing out earlier. I'd assume that the lone bottle that Belgian found at Summerhill was a return, but this was sold out a month or so ago and now in stock again so maybe a new shipment did arrive?