Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

2020-2021 Winter Season at the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

beerstodiscover wrote:
seangm wrote:... but perhaps that's how they justify charging $23...
I suspect it's either a marketing strategy to create hype around the GI brand or perhaps corporate half-assery.
Both of these are true, however, the fact the beer is 14.6% ABV does not help. If I remember correctly, in ON beer over 12% is considered a spirit and attracts much higher tax - this is why all (?) Ontario barrel aged and imperial stouts are packaged at 11.9% (just below the threshold)
@markhamwhisky

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I thought they did away with that ABV rule a while ago? I vaguely remember something about that.

I've never seen BCBS sitting around at 9 bucks either. The last time I saw some on shelves it was $18 US, but I think they've ramped up production since then. I've never seen the variants just sitting around.

We got a variant the first or second year it was here. Vanilla I think it was?

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I swear that the low volume of BCBS year after year is due to that poorly attended launch with Vanilla Rye in 2015. I remember overhearing that boisterous marketing guy that was chatting up people in line complain under his breath to one of his underlings about the poor showing. How many people were able to swing around for a second bottle? 30? 40?

I trade with a guy in Kentucky. Regular was $9.99 near him. Other than Birthday, he was able to get everything easily. And, other than Birthday and Anniversary, he can still pick them all up off the shelves at retail. He can still get most of last year’s easily as well. Other than Double Barrel, the variants from last year are all available at about cost +shipping very easily in the secondary groups. My friend grabbed two of the Rittenhouse Rye for me just yesterday for less than what it cost when it was released last year.

There is no reason not to have more for sale up here, including the variants.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cboden wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:
seangm wrote:Yea I'm not sure why it's so limited here as there's clearly demand, but perhaps that's how they justify charging $23. I've seen it as low as $9.99 in the US so the rarity and price for us is definitely artificial. Perhaps they could still limit the bottles per person but offer more variants? Guess we'll see what happens next year.
I suspect it's either a marketing strategy to create hype around the GI brand or perhaps corporate half-assery.

Previous BCBS releases in Toronto entailed lineups at Summerhill during business hours and pretty high prices, which were easy to forgo. I remember picking up a four-pack of 12-oz BCBS for under US$25 about 5 years ago in NYC without seeking it out. This year's price wasn't too bad and the process was much simpler for me to partake.
I'm going to put my money on corporate half-assery. The CEO of GI publicly admitted the declining interest in BCBS each year and how they're trying to come up with innovative ways to keep people engaged. I was in Chicago in March 2019. Stopped in at their brewhouse and picked up bottles of 2018 and 2017. There might be actual limited availability for Proprietor’s and certain variants, but the core is plentiful. They seem to do a sub-par job maximizing allocation destinations.

In the book Bourbon Aged Stout and Selling Out the author describes how ABInBev's distributors who push the most volume year round are "rewarded" with high allocations of BCBS when it's released. This doesn't necessarily correlate to BCBS sales though. If one distributor sells tons of macro a year their patrons probably aren't interested in BCBS, which is why it sits on some shelves all year.
That would definitely make sense explaining why it sits around in some markets and is good evidence that ABInBev really doesn't understand craft consumers.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Just realized we aren't getting Samichlaus this year. Bummer. Hope it returns in the future, as I only have a few bottles left.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Just realized we aren't getting Samichlaus this year. Bummer. Hope it returns in the future, as I only have a few bottles left.
Same here, I think I’m down to my last two bottles

I’ll generally drink an older vintage during Xmas eve day, and replace it with the current year to keep rotatiting the stock.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Just realized we aren't getting Samichlaus this year. Bummer. Hope it returns in the future, as I only have a few bottles left.
Same here, I think I’m down to my last two bottles

I’ll generally drink an older vintage during Xmas eve day, and replace it with the current year to keep rotatiting the stock.
I do the same thing, but on Dec 6, which is when they make it each year. My buddy in Windsor does the same thing and we wish each other a Happy Samichlaus Day each time.

Luckily I have four bottles left but knowing the LCBO we could see it in February, in a few years, or never.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

tyke66a

Post by tyke66a »

Looking for the UK winter beers as well, particularly Sam Smith's Winter Welcome. to keep my label streak intact. and support Tadcasters best brewery. Can't head over to the US this year. Do without Wychwood Bah Humbug though it seems the big boys like Marstons get more shelf space

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Craig wrote:
I've never seen BCBS sitting around at 9 bucks either. The last time I saw some on shelves it was $18 US, but I think they've ramped up production since then. I've never seen the variants just sitting around.
I was in Florida December 2018 and I saw quite a few of the variants sitting on shelves. Regular was $12.99 and I think the others were up to $24.99. Probably why they were sitting there.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

no one's talking about the lcbo getting Zhukov or the prairie artisanal stouts?

Gleemer Imports

Post by Gleemer Imports »

There were some miscommunications at the LCBO office. We've hopefully cleared things up and we're hoping Stille Nacht starts to make its way out to stores across Ontario within 2 weeks.
Visit us at http://www.gleemer.ca or follow Gleemer Imports on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

jeremyg wrote:no one's talking about the lcbo getting Zhukov or the prairie artisanal stouts?
Haven't they had the Prairie stouts for ages? I feel like I ordered a bunch a few months ago.

We've had Zhukov before. Glad to have it back.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Craig wrote:
jeremyg wrote:no one's talking about the lcbo getting Zhukov or the prairie artisanal stouts?
Haven't they had the Prairie stouts for ages? I feel like I ordered a bunch a few months ago.

We've had Zhukov before. Glad to have it back.
well where the heck was i??

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:We've had Zhukov before. Glad to have it back.
Having a sip of that one right now, good stuff. Feliz Nuevo Año!
In Beerum Veritas