Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO beer releases for 2009

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

Torontoblue wrote:Just noticed an interesting beer listed in the weekly reports from the LCBO.

Ola Dubh Special 12 Reserve.
in what context was it mentioned? as an upcoming listing?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

sounds like a winnee to me!!!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

tuqueboy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Just noticed an interesting beer listed in the weekly reports from the LCBO.

Ola Dubh Special 12 Reserve.
in what context was it mentioned? as an upcoming listing?
Not mentioned by anyone or as an upcoming release. I noticed the CSPC was in the latest reports that I ran this week. It wasn't there the previous week. The LCBO have seen fit to give it a product number which I can only assume means it has been approved and selected to proceed for a future release.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I'll echo what Sid has said, and I will add the following info as well:

Old Dubh Special Reserve 12 - New item- Item # 107672

Old Dubh Special Reserve 40 year Old - New item - Item # 143610

So it looks as if we are getting two of them
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:I'll echo what Sid has said, and I will add the following info as well:

not to rain on the parade, but isn't it possible that these numbers are for a private order item? surely they need SKU's for private order/consignment stuff, no?

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

October 2009: Ultra-Premium Beers
. Rare, limited quantity beers from renowned or award-winning breweries.
. Cellarable, collectable beer for the connoisseur.
. May include large-size formats.
. Beers with a "table presence" - suitable for serving over dinner.
. Beers with special packaging (i.e. specially designed box) preferred.
. Promotional support may be required.
. One time purchase only.
. Must be exclusive to LCBO.
Seems like they'd be a good fit for this release. Is it usual for item information to be assigned this early, though? Hopefully they haven't arrived and will be just sitting in the warehouse for the next 6-8 weeks.
Here's to the slow path.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

tuqueboy wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:I'll echo what Sid has said, and I will add the following info as well:

not to rain on the parade, but isn't it possible that these numbers are for a private order item? surely they need SKU's for private order/consignment stuff, no?
Private order skus dont show up on the system I was looking at.

tuqueboy
Bar Fly

Post by tuqueboy »

SteelbackGuy wrote: Private order skus dont show up on the system I was looking at.
well then hoo-fucking-ray! that's awesome. the engine oil's pretty nice all on its own, and the barrel aging is really nicely handled in this one!

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Old Dubh Special Reserve 12 - New item- Item # 107672

<pedantic-bastard>The name is actually OLA Dubh, not Old.</pedantic-bastard>

Misspelling aside - this is OUTSTANDING news! :D

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

This is almost unbelievable. It'll be great to enjoy these on a cool fall evening. Does anyone know if they age well?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Well my bottle of Ola Dubh 12 lasted 4 months without spoiling, but then I could resist no longer, although I have no doubt they could last a year or more easily. Compared to the Old Engine Oil, its definitely got more malts and a bit more yeast character, but the tannins will likely let it keep for a long time.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Do we have any idea how much the Ola Dubh will cost? I'm assuming I'll at least try one of them once regardless of the cost, but they seem like they could be expensive.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

kwjd wrote:Do we have any idea how much the Ola Dubh will cost? I'm assuming I'll at least try one of them once regardless of the cost, but they seem like they could be expensive.
I'm going to guess that they will be cheaper than you might expect (though still pricey) based on LCBOs submission requirements for their releases.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

kwjd wrote:Do we have any idea how much the Ola Dubh will cost? I'm assuming I'll at least try one of them once regardless of the cost, but they seem like they could be expensive.
I looked at the brewery's UK based online store, and converted these prices over to dollars at the current exchange rate:

Ola Dubh 12: $7.29
Ola Dubh 40: $18.22

Now as Len said it could well come in cheaper than that. After all, Thomas Hardy's cost significantly less here than it did in the UK.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I may not go out and buy a case, but I will definitely pick up a few bottles. Then again, I said the samething about the orval and ended up buying 3 cases in singles over the course of a few months. Now its gone...