Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO beer releases for 2009

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

dutchcanuck wrote:I may not go out and buy a case, but I will definitely pick up a few bottles. Then again, I said the samething about the orval and ended up buying 3 cases in singles over the course of a few months. Now its gone...
I wish I bought more Orval when it was here. $3.50 for a bottle of that was a bargain. It seems strange to me that we get some Belgian beers cheap here, yet the average price for most items is way higher than the US.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:... and converted these prices over to dollars at the current exchange rate:

Ola Dubh 12: $7.29
Ola Dubh 40: $18.22

Now as Len said it could well come in cheaper than that. After all, Thomas Hardy's cost significantly less here than it did in the UK.
I bet the 40 costs max 9-12 bucks, and the 12 not more than $5-6. The LCBO is a massive buyer and Harviestoun is probably ecstatic to move a large order for nominal profit. So I agree!

The LCBO seems to have a thing for wood-aged or vintage ales now... even past 6 or 7 bucks. And in general it seems the pricing of the ordinary through to deluxe products is not always linear, but markedly favors the value of high-end deluxe products.

In fact the '(socially responsible) baseline pricing' of beer in Ontario almost guarantees you'll pay far too much for the worst beers, while the best ones are practically given away. Looking forward at any price!
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kwjd wrote:
dutchcanuck wrote:I may not go out and buy a case, but I will definitely pick up a few bottles. Then again, I said the same thing about the Orval and ended up buying 3 cases in singles over the course of a few months. Now its gone...
I wish I bought more Orval when it was here. $3.50 for a bottle of that was a bargain. It seems strange to me that we get some Belgian beers cheap here, yet the average price for most items is way higher than the US.
Best thing is to buy enough whole cases, not even think about it at the time, just do it! :wink: Especially with beers you know are versatile, long-aging, and taste good to you all year. (Orval - check check check...)

I wouldn't necessarily buy cases of something I wasn't sure I really liked or was particularly versatile. A few private orders were like that for me - mistakes. But then I have returned a few large store purchases a few weeks or months after buying, and nobody at the LCBO minds if you "jump now & think later."
In Beerum Veritas

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Belgian wrote: Best thing is to buy enough whole cases, not even think about it at the time, just do it! :wink: Especially with beers you know are versatile, long-aging, and taste good to you all year. (Orval - check check check...)

I wouldn't necessarily buy cases of something I wasn't sure I really liked or was particularly versatile. A few private orders were like that for me - mistakes. But then I have returned a few large store purchases a few weeks or months after buying, and nobody at the LCBO minds if you "jump now & think later."
How do you purchase a full case? Do you have to order it somehow, or can you just show up to a store with a lot of stock and ask them for a case?

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

kwjd wrote:
Belgian wrote: Best thing is to buy enough whole cases, not even think about it at the time, just do it! :wink: Especially with beers you know are versatile, long-aging, and taste good to you all year. (Orval - check check check...)

How do you purchase a full case? Do you have to order it somehow, or can you just show up to a store with a lot of stock and ask them for a case?
Either show up at a store with a large amount showing in the online inventory and ask an employee to bring you a case out, or if your local doesn't have a lot, ask them to do an intra store transfer, and they will bring in an entire case and hold it for you.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Perhaps not as exciting as the Ola Dubh news, but recently noticed that 750 mL Duvel gift box with glass has popped up on the LCBO website. I don't recall any mention of that particular product in any of the upcoming release discussions, but if it is coming that's great.

FWIW, noticed Schmucker Bio Pils on their website as well.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

cannondale wrote:Perhaps not as exciting as the Ola Dubh news, but recently noticed that 750 mL Duvel gift box with glass has popped up on the LCBO website. I don't recall any mention of that particular product in any of the upcoming release discussions, but if it is coming that's great.

$7.95 for the Duvel gift pack is a hell of a deal. Id pay that just for the glass.

dutchcanuck

Post by dutchcanuck »

I noticed that yesterday too. I've been hankering a Duvel, so I did a search. When I saw the giftbox SKU I thought to myself...how did i miss THAT? I'm really hoping that I haven't and its something we can expect to see in the LCBO later this year.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

matt7215 wrote:
cannondale wrote:Perhaps not as exciting as the Ola Dubh news, but recently noticed that 750 mL Duvel gift box with glass has popped up on the LCBO website. I don't recall any mention of that particular product in any of the upcoming release discussions, but if it is coming that's great.

$7.95 for the Duvel gift pack is a hell of a deal. Id pay that just for the glass.
Best glass in the universe.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I may lay down 6-12 of those 750ml bottles of Duvel!

This format is unbelievable aged a few years.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Agreed! Last time they released Duvel in this format (big bottle with glass) I laid one down for about four years. It was superb. I sorely wished I had cellared more than one. It's been many years (AFAIK) since we've had this gift pack - yahoo.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

Is this going to show up as a Christmas pack? Or do you think it'll show up sooner?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

The Ola Dubh 40 Year Old has also now received a listing number!!!!!!!

My, My, My :D

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Just noticed that GR Town Hall Lager came up on the inventrory, but without any stock yet. Anyone have any idea when Denison's and Taps Vanila Wheat are going to arrive? I was hoping to have some of these by the end of summer.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Torontoblue wrote:The Ola Dubh 40 Year Old has also now received a listing number!!!!!!!

My, My, My :D
whats the #?? i just searched and cant find it