Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO beer releases for 2010

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO beer releases for 2010

Post by GregClow »

The following is a list of LCBO beer promotions/releases planned for 2010, based on information obtained from the LCBO Trade Resources website.

This listing will be kept as up to date as possible, and as more information about each promotion/release is confirmed, they will be spun off into their own discussion thread which will be linked below. As always with the LCBO, all information is subject to change at any time:

March 2010: Spring Beers - Premium/Specialty Beer Program
. Products appropriate for the Spring season (i.e. Bock beers) and St. Patrick’s Day will be considered.
. Single serving format preferred (500 ml).
. Proven track record in other markets.
. Renowned or award winning.
. One time purchase only.
. Preference will be given to products under $3.50.

Spring 2010: Ontario Micro Beers
. Liquids with year-round appeal required.
. Strong packaging and marketing support required.
. LCBO exclusivity preferred.
. $2.50 or less for 500ml can or $11.95 for 6 pack bottles or cans

April 2010: Super Premium Beers
. Proven track record in other markets or in the LCBO’s Premium Specialty Beer Program.

April 2010: American Craft Beers.
. Successful in local market or other markets, or in the LCBO’s Premium Specialty Beer Program.
. Strong packaging and marketing support required.
. $3.00 or less for 500ml format or $14.50 for 6 pack bottles or cans

May 2010: Ethnic Beers
. Preference will be given to countries not currently represented in the LCBO Beer portfolio
. Must be the top selling product from that country, in the package and format most easily recognized.
. One-time purchase with potential for year round purchase.
. Competitively priced compared to existing portfolio.

June 2010: Summer Beers
. Products appropriate for the Summer season (Wheat, Fruit beers, etc) will be considered.

September 2010: Autumn Ales
. Products appropriate for Autumn (i.e. Belgian & English styles, Stouts, Porters, Oak Aged beers) will be considered.

September 2010: Ciders
. Number of products approved will be based on performance of new skus from 2008.
. Comparably priced to current set, premium priced if warranted.

October 2010: Halloween Beers.
. Strong packaging appeal required.
. Single serving format (500 ml) or larger serving sizes (i.e. mini kegs) preferred.
. Promotional support may be required.
. Must be exclusive to the LCBO.
. $19.95 or less

October 2010: Holiday Gifts - Multi-packs of assorted Beer.
. Product information should be incorporated into the packaging.
. Packs featuring popular, top-selling brands.
. Packs featuring, unique, niche brands, not already carried at the LCBO.
. Products with added merchandise such as glasses and/or other appropriate accessories.
. Unique formats or sizes (magnums, mini kegs) of renowned beer.
. Preference will be given to unique gift packs that offer great value.
. Preference will be given to packs priced under $15.00.

December 2010: Winter Warmers
. Products appropriate for Winter (i.e. Imperial Stouts, Barley Wine, Old Ale, Spiced & Strong Ale, Oak Aged beers) will be considered.
Last edited by GregClow on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I see the LBCO is stubbornly sticking to its policy of choosing "liquids". A not altogether unpredictable stance I suppose. ;)

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

JerCraigs wrote:I see the LBCO is stubbornly sticking to its policy of choosing "liquids". A not altogether unpredictable stance I suppose. ;)
Damn, I was hoping for some electric jello!

It's too bad they don't list Octoberfest brews as 'appropriate for autumn'. :cry:

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I agree that it would be nice to see some Octoberfests for the sake of variety but depending what gets picked from the styles they listed, those interest my taste buds more.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

I'm actually kind of happy to see them thinking of a cider release. Maybe we'll see the Harpoon Cider make its way up here. :lol:

Also, this is my first post.

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Noticed on the internal reports I get from the LCBO that Hogs Back Brewery's T.E.A has been given a CSPC number. Nice to see a relatively small UK brewery making it over sometime soon.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I just noticed they never once mention having a strong table presence. Damn, that blows. I am f***ing all about the strong table presence beers. With other stuff, it's like, how do you even know it's there?

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Torontoblue wrote:Noticed on the internal reports I get from the LCBO that Hogs Back Brewery's T.E.A has been given a CSPC number. Nice to see a relatively small UK brewery making it over sometime soon.
Does the report confirm that this is from the brewery in the UK or might it be from the upcoming Hogsback Brewery in Ottawa?

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

inertiaboy wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:Noticed on the internal reports I get from the LCBO that Hogs Back Brewery's T.E.A has been given a CSPC number. Nice to see a relatively small UK brewery making it over sometime soon.
Does the report confirm that this is from the brewery in the UK or might it be from the upcoming Hogsback Brewery in Ottawa?
Given the fact that I mentioned the name of the beer, and the brewery in Ottawa have yet to name there's, then it's obvious the brewery from England.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Torontoblue wrote:
inertiaboy wrote:
Given the fact that I mentioned the name of the beer, and the brewery in Ottawa have yet to name there's, then it's obvious the brewery from England.
All hail the vociferous Sid of Torontoblue fame! :D
In Beerum Veritas

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

Belgian wrote:
Torontoblue wrote:
inertiaboy wrote: Does the report confirm that this is from the brewery in the UK or might it be from the upcoming Hogsback Brewery in Ottawa?
All hail the vociferous Sid of Torontoblue fame! :D
Damn, my spelling is woeful ;-)

wilco

Post by wilco »

GregClow wrote: Spring 2010: Ontario Micro Beers

Anyone know about these releases?

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

wilco wrote:

I'm trying to find out. Will post more when/if the LCBO tells me anything.
Here's to the slow path.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

wilco wrote:

In the past couple of years these haven't really been "releases" in the same way that the seasonal releases are. Instead, the LCBO just added a few beers to the general list that fell into these categories. And I don't think they happened in the specific months listed, those were just ballpark timeframes for the call for submissions.

Assuming they actually got some submissions for the categories above, we can probably expect to see two or three beers in each category quietly hitting the shelves through the spring/summer.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

I heard back from the LCBO but don't have any info to pass along. Basically, they refuse to release any details about future additions to the General List.
Here's to the slow path.