Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter 2009 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

icemachine wrote:Does anyone know who the agent is for Fuller's? I'm down to a few bottles of 1845 and dissapointed its not here this year.
Premier Brands - http://www.premierbrands.ca/

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

The Fuller's Vintage Ale that is listed as '2008' on the LCBO website is in fact the 2009. Picked up a bottle today at 401/Weston.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Great Lakes Winter Ale, Rogue Yellow Snow and Fullers Vintage Ale are out at Queen's Quay LCBO.
lister

Sarge

Post by Sarge »

Yellow Snow is in the Summerhill store as well.

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Enjoying some Yellow Snow IPA right now...bought from Jane/Dundas LCBO.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Loving the Yellow Snow. Definitely a step up from the recent batch of Brutal Bitter.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gedge wrote:Loving the Yellow Snow. Definitely a step up from the recent batch of Brutal Bitter.
The Yellow Snow IPA is not the same as the Juniper Pale Ale "Yellow Snow" we got years ago. Apparently Rogue not only re-name beers all the time, but also recycle beer names!! But no complaints about either beer.
I was also disappointed in recent Brutal Bitter compared to previous brewings, perhaps a wrinkle they will correct. Be great to see the fantastic Rogue Mocha Porter up here sometime as well!

It worries me the Créme Brulée is dollars more than a lot of value wines, but I really hope it does well because it packs some flavor & ABV for the price. We need a few USA Impy Stouts up here so lets support Southern Tier. It's also great the former 'no-show' Brooklyn BCS is making another attempt to appear, that is one deeply delicious heavy-hitter of a RI Stout. No exotic vanilla or cream in that one but surprisingly agreeable price.

And I'm of course curious about the Ola Dubh, and the Fullers Vintage Ale series is always fun to chat about while stashing away a few bottles for posterity.

And I'm all about the Winter Ale from Great Lakes, one of my favorite Ontario beers.
In Beerum Veritas

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I bought a case of the creme brulee on consignment last year. It really polarized friends I shared it with. Some loved it, others found it way too sweet. The wife and I liked it enough that the case is now gone. This year we decided to go with chokolat - another great Southern Tier beer.

When I was at QQ LCBO last week Bill mentioned that they were also expecting the Ola Dubh 40 (in addition to the 12). I believe he said quantity on the 40 would be limited and that it would be priced around $17-$18 per bottle (!).

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Gedge wrote:When I was at QQ LCBO last week Bill mentioned that they were also expecting the Ola Dubh 40 (in addition to the 12). I believe he said quantity on the 40 would be limited and that it would be priced around $17-$18 per bottle (!).
Yes, I heard the same a couple of months ago. It will be REALLY interesting to see how that does. I'm not sure if Ontario is ready for a beer at that price point.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

GregClow wrote:
Gedge wrote:When I was at QQ LCBO last week Bill mentioned that they were also expecting the Ola Dubh 40 (in addition to the 12). I believe he said quantity on the 40 would be limited and that it would be priced around $17-$18 per bottle (!).
Yes, I heard the same a couple of months ago. It will be REALLY interesting to see how that does. I'm not sure if Ontario is ready for a beer at that price point.

True, but I think alot of us on Bartowel will at least try one.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
GregClow wrote:

You're right. I'd definitely get a few after realising how good the 30 is.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
GregClow wrote: Yes, I heard the same a couple of months ago. It will be REALLY interesting to see how that does. I'm not sure if Ontario is ready for a beer at that price point.

And that is all it will take. I don't think the LCBO expects this stuff to fly off the shelves. Much like they don't expect the expensive Super Tuscans or Cali Cabs to sell out in a day. But, if there is SOME strength in the sales, we may see more super premium beers like this. So, if every bartoweller bought one or two, that might be all we need. Of course, if you like the beer enough, buy more.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

wilco

Post by wilco »

The interwebs say the Creme Brulee is at Danforth and Broadview. The Brooklyn BCS is now on the LCBO website, but no locations.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

if ola dubh is 500 ml. then that's the cost around the globe
I passed on 2 brewdog IS at Beers of the World because they were $13.35 US for 12 oz. each

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
GregClow wrote: Yes, I heard the same a couple of months ago. It will be REALLY interesting to see how that does. I'm not sure if Ontario is ready for a beer at that price point.

We're all about the 'cult' beers, and that's not too bad a price. Try being a Bordeaux lover & competing with that 'cult beer' price!

This is just like when the Bastide Blanche BANDOL came out for around 24 dollars, and for just a few dollars more there were two extremely limited special cuvees wirth the 'best of the best' Mourvédre content. Piggyback distribution.
In Beerum Veritas