Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Holiday Beers/Gift Packs 2009 Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I wonder if some Baltika packs will magically have two or three Porters? :) I mean people are going crazy for the Lager and the Gold so maybe some are unscrupulously swapping out the undesirable porter to get more of the other two world-classics.
In Beerum Veritas

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Well I noticed someone making a triple Rum Cask I&G gift pack the other day, so I guess it is possible...
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

icemachine wrote:Well I noticed someone making a triple Rum Cask I&G gift pack the other day, so I guess it is possible...
I'm always tempted to do something like this (specifically with Baltika porter), but then I realize it is basically stealing and I don't.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

kwjd wrote:
icemachine wrote:Well I noticed someone making a triple Rum Cask I&G gift pack the other day, so I guess it is possible...
I'm always tempted to do something like this (specifically with Baltika porter), but then I realize it is basically stealing and I don't.
It's amazing to me that the LCBO employee's generally just seem to ignore this from what I've seen. Kind of alarming to me that the LCBO just doesn't really care seemingly.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Belgian wrote:I wonder if some Baltika packs will magically have two or three Porters? :) I mean people are going crazy for the Lager and the Gold so maybe some are unscrupulously swapping out the undesirable porter to get more of the other two world-classics.
the lager and the gold? people are nuts for those?

:o

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

JesseM wrote:
kwjd wrote:
It's amazing to me that the LCBO employee's generally just seem to ignore this from what I've seen. Kind of alarming to me that the LCBO just doesn't really care seemingly.
what's there to care about, it's only beer. it all tastes the same. there's no difference between rum cask and original, we've just been tricked by slick advertising and endless marketing campaigns.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

mintjellie wrote:
JesseM wrote:
kwjd wrote: I'm always tempted to do something like this (specifically with Baltika porter), but then I realize it is basically stealing and I don't.
what's there to care about, it's only beer. it all tastes the same. there's no difference between rum cask and original, we've just been tricked by slick advertising and endless marketing campaigns.
I was talking more about the principle, but also this was something that was happening last year with the St. Peter's packs a lot from what I saw. Think how pissed you'd be if you found no packs with the ruby red in it, or another beer you were looking forward to.

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

kwjd wrote:
+1. It is stealing.

Anyone who does this is an asshole, no two ways about it.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I agree that it's a d*ck move to swap out beers in gift packs, but to a certain extent it's symptomatic of the BBDS (Battered Beer Drinker Syndrome) that so many Ontario beer lovers suffer from.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cannondale wrote:
kwjd wrote:
+1. It is stealing.

Take that advice from an expert!

But seriously, it IS stealing and "pack-switching" is not something that helps the next customer in any way. Why should THEY get a pack in which all the beers completely suck, just so that you can get the single bottle worth buying?
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gedge wrote:I agree that it's a d*ck move to swap out beers in gift packs, but to a certain extent it's symptomatic of the BBDS (Battered Beer Drinker Syndrome) that so many Ontario beer lovers suffer from.
Are you saying Baltika Gold and Lager are good for making fish fry batter?
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:
Belgian wrote:I wonder if some Baltika packs will magically have two or three Porters? :) I mean people are going crazy for the Lager and the Gold so maybe some are unscrupulously swapping out the undesirable porter to get more of the other two world-classics.
the lager and the gold? people are nuts for those?

:o
Absolutely. Everyone seems to think dark beers are SO strong and give you a hangover. I just think that's racist.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:
Gedge wrote:I agree that it's a d*ck move to swap out beers in gift packs, but to a certain extent it's symptomatic of the BBDS (Battered Beer Drinker Syndrome) that so many Ontario beer lovers suffer from.

He's here all night folks!
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

bartle

Post by bartle »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Belgian wrote:

He's here all night folks!
I have made pancakes from the porter before. It's not rocket appliances... but damn... tastey. as for the gold and import... it's expensive beer batter, but i don't see a lot of other use for it.
enjoi

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

Belgian wrote:
cannondale wrote:
kwjd wrote: I'm always tempted to do something like this (specifically with Baltika porter), but then I realize it is basically stealing and I don't.
+1. It is stealing.

Take that advice from an expert!
Boy, does that ever hurt!

I think I'll take the high road on this....
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.