Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Store in Torontoist: Heroes and Villains 2009: Villains

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Chris

Beer Store in Torontoist: Heroes and Villains 2009: Villains

Post by Chris »

Interesting article in Torontoist

http://torontoist.com/2009/12/heroes_an ... =3#gallery

Every time I go to the beer store I hate it a little more. I was there two days ago -- had to wait 15 minutes while some guy unloaded a years worth of wine bottles. Then I of course order beer that is not in the ice cold express and then wait another 10 minutes while the person serves 3 people who picked up beer from the ice cold express -- only acknowledging that I was still waiting once I go up and say something.

Ugh. Please get rid of this monopoly!
Last edited by Chris on Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Chris wrote:Interesting article in Torontoist

http://torontoist.com/2009/12/heroes_an ... 3#gallery

Every time I go to the beer store I hate it a little more. I was there two days ago -- had to wait 15 minutes while some guy unloaded a years worth of wine bottles. Then I of course order beer that is not in the ice cold express and then wait another 10 minutes while the person serves 3 people who picked up beer from the ice cold express -- only acknowledging that I was still waiting once I go up and say something.

Ugh. Please get rid of this monopoly!

The Beer Store is by far a worse beast than the LCBO, and I'm not just saying that because I work for LCBO.

One, maybe 2 cashiers, huge lineups, crazy wait times, staff who have zero product knowledge, signs that say they have beers that aren't there, almost no proper infrastructure to deal with the returns.

I am absolutely opposed to a private system, but I suppose if the beer store was dismantled or re-structured in some way, I wouldn't be completely against it, though I'd worry about the jobs of the workers of course.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I haven't purchased anything from TBS in over two years. I am, though, one of those annoying guys who saves up his empties and takes them back once every six months. To my fellow "customers": sorry.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

That's a great write-up... I wish everyone knew this.

Funny aside: Last time I returned all my odds-n-ends, the clerk actually said to me "You're not getting any beer are you?".

Chris

Post by Chris »

Take away the beer store...allow sales in variety/grocery stores. Please Dalton save us from this out dated model!

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Dunno about the beer store monopoly, but it looks like the LCBO may be up for sale.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

sprague11 wrote:Dunno about the beer store monopoly, but it looks like the LCBO may be up for sale.
Every few years they "re examine" this option, spend tens of thousands of our taxpayer dollars in doing so, and come to the conclusion that the LCBO won't be sold. Much to the disappointment of some of our members. Don't expect it.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Chris

Post by Chris »

I actually like the LCBO and hope they keep it....I may disagree with some of the product choices they make or do not make but on the whole it is a very classy and customer friendly experience.

The beer store however is perhaps the most ghetto retail experience I have ever had. Even dollar stores and thrift stores do better. They are not even remotely interested in the customer, it would seem.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
sprague11 wrote:Dunno about the beer store monopoly, but it looks like the LCBO may be up for sale.
Every few years they "re examine" this option, spend tens of thousands of our taxpayer dollars in doing so, and come to the conclusion that the LCBO won't be sold. Much to the disappointment of some of our members. Don't expect it.
Yes, this is far more an exercise in getting people worked up and lashing out against the idea of selling it so when they need to raise taxes they can say "we tried to sell stuff to avoid this but you didn't want us to" than about actually selling anything off.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Derek wrote:That's a great write-up... I wish everyone knew this.

Funny aside: Last time I returned all my odds-n-ends, the clerk actually said to me "You're not getting any beer are you?".
Same here - so I promptly asked for some Maudite - after a few minutes the guy in the back admits they don't have any. Guess I don't want to buy anything today then.
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Nice link. I love the article and I love the cartoon. I have only been in The Beer Store twice in the past 3 years, which is two times too many.

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Commented.

Please register and do the same, and makes sure to throw a swipe at the LCBO in there as well.

If you feel like doing so, of course.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Chris wrote:I actually like the LCBO and hope they keep it....I may disagree with some of the product choices they make or do not make but on the whole it is a very classy and customer friendly experience.

The beer store however is perhaps the most ghetto retail experience I have ever had. Even dollar stores and thrift stores do better. They are not even remotely interested in the customer, it would seem.
I totally agree, going to The Beer Store is like going to a Timmies Drive Thru. You line up, tell them what you want, if they haven't got it you pick something else. The product comes out, maybe fresh maybe not, I know now to look for dust.

There is no way to check inventory, I remember going in and naming 4 or 5 brands only to be told they were out. I felt like it was "The Cheese Shop" sketch from Monty Python. You leave empty handed only to find out your buddy got 2 cases from the store a mile away.

I don't blame the employees, its the system, it fosters a "we don't care, we don't have to" menality.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Good article, thanks for the link.

*rant warning*

The employee's at my local walk-in style BS are generally decent. But if they're not rolling their eyes at all my singles, they're examing them very closely to determine if they're beer-related or some sort of cleverly disguised explosive device, as if I just really get a kick out of screwing with them. It's pretty hard to not blurt out, "YES YOU CAN ACCEPT IT, YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT EVERYTHING, AS YOU'RE THE ONLY OUTLET FOR RETURNS, YOU MORON. JUST DO YOUR F***ING JOB". Rogue bottles are especially baffling to them.

And I almost never get the proper amount of money handed to me for the number of bottles. I just don't raise a fuss because I want to get the f*** away from the place as fast as possible. This store also has a pretty decent selection by BS standards, I just can't buy 90% of the decent stuff because it's usually months past its expiry date :roll: .

If it kills me, I will see the end of the BS within my lifetime. F*** you Beer Store, f*** you forever.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

"YES YOU CAN ACCEPT IT, YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT EVERYTHING, AS YOU'RE THE ONLY OUTLET FOR RETURNS, YOU MORON. JUST DO YOUR F***ING JOB"
Ever consider just putting your empties out with the rest of your recycling? It's what I do. Based on the frustration you appear to be going through I'm not sure the 10c / bottle is worth it.