Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Store in Torontoist: Heroes and Villains 2009: Villains

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Ukie wrote:There is no way to check inventory, I remember going in and naming 4 or 5 brands only to be told they were out. I felt like it was "The Cheese Shop" sketch from Monty Python. You leave empty handed only to find out your buddy got 2 cases from the store a mile away.
Oh, the cat's eaten it...
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

See this is one area where living in a small rural area is better. I get only a 1/3 the releases you guys receive but our local BS's (two small towns each have one) are a decent place.

The people are friendly and recognise the customer. If you are a regular that drinks a macro they know your order when you walk in the door and pull the case for you before you order. It can be a bit busy at peak times but that is the case at any store.

I go the BS every payday. I refuse to pay for 4x6 packs at the LCBO or even 2x6 pack prices. I usually buy a 24 of sessionable beer at the BS and then grab a few singles at the LCBO of something more diverse. A friend of mine picked me up a "24" from the LCBO and it cost me over $50 instead of $40 at the BS! Guess I'm one of the lucky ones :P

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Ralphus wrote:
"YES YOU CAN ACCEPT IT, YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT EVERYTHING, AS YOU'RE THE ONLY OUTLET FOR RETURNS, YOU MORON. JUST DO YOUR F***ING JOB"
Ever consider just putting your empties out with the rest of your recycling? It's what I do. Based on the frustration you appear to be going through I'm not sure the 10c / bottle is worth it.
That's what I do too. I can't be bothered to try and walk 2km carrying a couple bucks worth of bottles. If I take the TTC it will cost me more in fare to get to TBS than I'd get for the bottles.

Although I just got something in the mail saying TBS will be offering a trial delivery period for condos downtown where they will deliver beer to you and take back your empties. I may try this out at some point.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

kwjd wrote:Although I just got something in the mail saying TBS will be offering a trial delivery period for condos downtown where they will deliver beer to you and take back your empties. I may try this out at some point.
I haven't received that mailing yet.

All the empties or just beer bottles? Also is there a minimum order? This may be an ideal thing to do to save time returning the empties.
lister

Chris

Post by Chris »

Ukie wrote:
I totally agree, going to The Beer Store is like going to a Timmies Drive Thru. You line up, tell them what you want, if they haven't got it you pick something else. The product comes out, maybe fresh maybe not, I know now to look for dust.
Comparing them to Timmies is giving them too much credit ;)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

kwjd wrote: That's what I do too. I can't be bothered to try and walk 2km carrying a couple bucks worth of bottles. If I take the TTC it will cost me more in fare to get to TBS than I'd get for the bottles.
That's hilarious!
- bottle returns are supposed to be a 'green' initiative (we're not supposed to blue-box them)
- the TTC is a crap way to get around, and so expensive now you'd LOSE money by taking your own time to return empties!

So - we have a transit system that people avoid using in order that returnable containers are diverted, incorrectly to waste removal, thus defeating all three 'programs'. Brilliant system we live in!

I think the best solution for you guys is to take the free cartons at the LCBO, and leave full boxes of empties right on the street so that rubbies and teenagers can bring them back to TBS for you. Then TBS workers have to recycle the boxes as well, because they need the exercise.
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Somebody on my street blue boxed some U.S. empties probably because The Beer Store wouldn't take them or they didn't know. When I went by later, I knew it was going to be interesting , the bottles were left with a note telling them to take them back to The Beer Store.

Actually I know a few people who leave the empties on the back porch for the locals. In the summer when the fruit flies are around, if you aren't quick enough it can get quite nasty.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

lister wrote:
kwjd wrote:Although I just got something in the mail saying TBS will be offering a trial delivery period for condos downtown where they will deliver beer to you and take back your empties. I may try this out at some point.
I haven't received that mailing yet.

All the empties or just beer bottles? Also is there a minimum order? This may be an ideal thing to do to save time returning the empties.
It doesn't seem to be available for all buildings, they have a list of addresses that have delivery available.

It doesn't look like the empties need to be beer bottles and there is no mention of a minimum order. There is no charge for this too. I just realized you have to make the order 48 hours in advance... so that's a lot of planning to get a case of beer. Plus, not sure if it would be like Rogers where they give you a several hour window of when they may show up. If I was going to have a party and wanted a few cases of beer, I certainly would use this.

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

Belgian wrote: I think the best solution for you guys is to take the free cartons at the LCBO, and leave full boxes of empties right on the street so that rubbies and teenagers can bring them back to TBS for you. Then TBS workers have to recycle the boxes as well, because they need the exercise.
Here in Halifax if you leave anything on the curb for the recycling truck to pick that can be returned for money, random folks in shopping carts will get there almost instantly to cash in. Way back when I lived in an apartment downtown, I was putting out my blue bag recyclables and the superintendent saw some returnable bottles in the bag - I didn't even get it to the curb. He asked if he could take them and practically grabbed them out of my hand.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

JesseM wrote:Good article, thanks for the link.

*rant warning*

The employee's at my local walk-in style BS are generally decent. But if they're not rolling their eyes at all my singles, they're examing them very closely to determine if they're beer-related or some sort of cleverly disguised explosive device, as if I just really get a kick out of screwing with them. It's pretty hard to not blurt out, "YES YOU CAN ACCEPT IT, YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT EVERYTHING, AS YOU'RE THE ONLY OUTLET FOR RETURNS, YOU MORON. JUST DO YOUR F***ING JOB". Rogue bottles are especially baffling to them.

And I almost never get the proper amount of money handed to me for the number of bottles. I just don't raise a fuss because I want to get the f*** away from the place as fast as possible. This store also has a pretty decent selection by BS standards, I just can't buy 90% of the decent stuff because it's usually months past its expiry date :roll: .

If it kills me, I will see the end of the BS within my lifetime. F*** you Beer Store, f*** you forever.

At my local BS there are a couple employees that are genuinely interested in beer. When I bring back a mess of empties they like to weed through them and ask me what I thought of this or that beer that they have not tried yet. If there is a big line up behind me it can really irritate the others, but I guess they can wait for thier Coors. 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

One other thing...

It really blows my mind to see the terrible retail design of most of the stores. What idiot consultant did they hire? Besides the dumb hangover of having the product stashed away in the back (I guess it's some union issue to keep more employees around), the idea of scattering counters and roll out areas all over the store is absurd.

For a business that operates on such a scale, you'd think they would turn to more intelligent store planners. Try as I might, I just can't find the logic in what they have done.

This seemed to come about in the last batch of remodels a few years back, around the same time that the BS was turning into a clothing store. I wonder if there was some related retail strategy? Maybe trying to become a department store like Sears with checkouts scattered around but no real service?
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Bullzie

Post by Bullzie »

During one of my every few months returning session (sorry everyone) to the beer store I assured the girl checking my returns that all my cases were full she claimed that they had to check everything thoroughly because something to do with the fact that somewhere where the returns are processed there is a machine that cuts the top part of the case off and that someone had left an empty propane cylinder in a case of beer and it almost got cut open.

As for the LCBO, I agree that it is a good system but could use some product selection tweaks. I do not want to see it leave public hands. What I like most is the product pricing consistency and for the most part the 'customer experience'. When I am on my way to camp and decide to stop in at the LCBO in Goulais River (decent store in an odd middle of nowhere spot...look it up) I don't have to worry about being gouged at the check out because of where I am. Sure the selection isn't what you would find at a GTA megastore but it is certainly far better than what the convenience store next door would carry if it was left up to them.

Andrew

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Oh, a good jesse post!!
JesseM wrote:
And I almost never get the proper amount of money handed to me for the number of bottles. I just don't raise a fuss because I want to get the f*** away from the place as fast as possible.
I know the feeling. I generally do a rough tally in my head so I can challenge them, then they back down. I also SORT my 650's and 750's in one bin, my 341's and 500's in another, so the over-paid reptile does not have to think very much - highly successful strategy Jesse.

You can blurt out "630ml or more is 20 cents deposit" which also seems to jar them into focus on lucky occasions.
JesseM wrote: This store also has a pretty decent selection by BS standards.
I love the total lack of irony in that statement, "BS Standards" - from the Department of Highly Descriptive Acronyms, no doubt.
In Beerum Veritas

carguy

Post by carguy »

Hate to admit it, but I do the same Belgian, I arrive at the BS (it is a wonderful acronym for the place is it not?) with my stuff pre-sorted. It makes it go faster, I don't get ripped off, and the last time I was in, the clerk actually thanked me!

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

I do sort them. And I count them. And I tell them how many there are of each. But they're stuck in this mindset that I must be screwing with them for whatever reason, so they insist on grabbing them at random from my different bags/carrying items and throw them into bins in no particular order, and then counting them.

I've also attempted to just put my bottles in my blue bin, but always get decried as a heretic as it's apparently worse for the environment somehow.

But, yes thank you Belgian for picking up on the dual-meaning of 'BS Standards'.