Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Transfering product between stores?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Matty D

Transfering product between stores?

Post by Matty D »

Simple question, I hope?

I have heard it mentioned that you can have a beer transfered to your local LCBO. Is this true, if so how do you go about this? Are there any stipulations or restrictions (within reason, just looking at sampling a wider variety of beer).

Thanks for any input.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

I think the minimum is a case to transfer from one store to another.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

phirleh wrote:I think the minimum is a case to transfer from one store to another.
Hmmm, I figured there would be something like that to squash this idea. :-?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

There is no minimum. It is a discretionary decision.
A case of beer is no problem in 99.9 % of cases.
Where are you wanting a transfer from and what is it you want transferred?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Jazdi

Post by Jazdi »

How likely would an Ottawa store be bring in a single Erdinger Gift Pack? There are absolutely none left here.

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/d ... ber=612119

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

SteelbackGuy wrote:There is no minimum. It is a discretionary decision.
I was looking at the Peche Mortel, there are "apparently" 28 in Orillia. I don't want a whole case but a six pack would be fine.

Is this a request I would need to talk with a manager about or is there a central e-mail system to facilitate this sort of thing? I have seen the private order section of the LCBO website but this doesn't seem to fall under that category.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Jazdi wrote:How likely would an Ottawa store be bring in a single Erdinger Gift Pack? There are absolutely none left here.

http://lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product/d ... ber=612119
Well where would it be coming from?
The cost of the shipping will likely be $25-$40, or even more. It is not likely.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Matty D wrote:
I was looking at the Peche Mortel, there are "apparently" 28 in Orillia. I don't want a whole case but a six pack would be fine.

Is this a request I would need to talk with a manager about or is there a central e-mail system to facilitate this sort of thing? I have seen the private order section of the LCBO website but this doesn't seem to fall under that category.
You won't get any store manager that will ok a transfer of only $20 worth of beer, from Orillia to Alliston. The courrier alone would be likely be double that cost.

Matty D

Post by Matty D »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
Matty D wrote:

You won't get any store manager that will ok a transfer of only $20 worth of beer, from Orillia to Alliston. The courrier alone would be likely be double that cost.
I assumed it was some how rolled into a normal shipping of other product, not a special courier. I think I get the picture now, I do appreciate the info though. Thanks all :D

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

You're welcome.

For inter-city transfers we use one company (different in all cities though).
We have a deal with them due to the amount of transfers we do, but it still costs money.

To do an out of town transfer, we use ATS. It costs about the same as it would to use UPS or Fed Ex.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Just order the minimum they say they will do it for - when it arrives you can still just buy as many as you want - in some instances it's good for other customers you ordered it in!

Another way to ensure getting transferred product is to not wait until the last remaining case is only available halfway across Ontario. Be realistic about your IST expectations.
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:Just order the minimum they say they will do it for - when it arrives you can still just buy as many as you want - in some instances it's good for other customers you ordered it in!

That is what I "quietly" suggest to customers in our stores. :D

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Belgian wrote:Just order the minimum they say they will do it for - when it arrives you can still just buy as many as you want - in some instances it's good for other customers you ordered it in!
I've done this when Orval was on the winter release a few years ago. I told them I'd take half the case when it came in and the rest of the case was gone in a day or two.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

If you place an order for the minimum, a case of 24, and just pay for say 6 beers, I can imagine the dirty looks you'd get from the warehouse and clerk.

Up in the Sudbury, I've talked to the warehouse supervisor about bringing product in and the problem transfers create is that if the entire case isn't picked up, they have no choice but to place it on the shelves, which quite often would exceed their maximum beer count.

On that note, I've noticed beer on the 'BO inventory list, typically a count of 24, that I've tried to claim at the store, only to be told it's someone's order. It's been lying in wait in the warehouse for over three weeks and my question is, how long would you say that beer is fair game to anybody? Or would they rather just send it back?

It's my first post but I've been creeping around for quite a while.
Thanks! [/i]

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Beer'n'gin wrote:If you place an order for the minimum, a case of 24, and just pay for say 6 beers, I can imagine the dirty looks you'd get from the warehouse and clerk.

Up in the Sudbury, I've talked to the warehouse supervisor about bringing product in and the problem transfers create is that if the entire case isn't picked up, they have no choice but to place it on the shelves, which quite often would exceed their maximum beer count.
Oh my, tragedy of tragedies!! What if other customers that week came in and BOUGHT the rest of the transferred product, and this all ended up being a good thing? NO. Can't allow that - there's a BEER COUNT we must all abide to!! Wow a whole 18 extra beer in the store, heavens... no room to breathe if that happens, evidently.

All seriousness aside, I have been encouraged by MANY store staff to order a case & then not buy all of it. Not 2 or 3, several. They ADVISE the customer to do it. So it sounds like what you are describing is a 'problem indovidual' working at a store who, in a prudish & meddling mother-hen kind of way, is proactively trying to discourage the exact thing that customers are SUPPOSED to do once in a while. That mechanism is PART of the system, not outside of it!!!

I don't worry about those 'individuals.'
Last edited by Belgian on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas