Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hockley Valley Black and Tan coming to LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Hockley Valley Black and Tan coming to LCBO

Post by SteelbackGuy »

I spoke with the local rep yesterday, and he showed me the new Black and Tan from Hockley Valley. Product should be available soon.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Interesting... thanks for the info, Len! I'm presuming this will be canned?

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Bobsy wrote:Interesting... thanks for the info, Len! I'm presuming this will be canned?

Yes, it is going to be in cans. The really good news here is that Hockley isn't replacing one of their old SKUs with this product. They were given an additional SKU, so now they have a little more room to play with.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

carguy

Post by carguy »

Nice to hear, I regularly rotate both dark and stout into my session line-up.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

I've never had a black & tan - not counting in bars where they actually mix Guinness with Bass or whatever. Are they actually making separate dark and light beers and mixing them together? If so, are they using beers already available (ie. their stout/dark and a lighter one).

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

kwjd wrote:Are they actually making separate dark and light beers and mixing them together? If so, are they using beers already available (ie. their stout/dark and a lighter one).
Hope it's not a mixture of the Stout and the Georgian Bay Dipper. That would be... odd, I think.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I was assuming it would be the dark and the stout mixed, not sure why I thought that.

The_Jester
Bar Fly

Post by The_Jester »

GregClow wrote:Hope it's not a mixture of the Stout and the Georgian Bay Dipper. That would be... odd, I think.
Yeah. The image of a Stout Dipper just ain't workin' for me.
"The time for delay is over, we need to address the threat of climate change activism immediately if we hope to protect the future prosperity of our children’s employers." Scott Vrooman

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I assume Hockley are proficient enough at making a blonde ale.
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

Belgian wrote:I assume Hockley are proficient enough at making a blonde ale.
Link does not work.

But last night I tried to make my own black ad tan from Hockley, using Jer's suggestion of the dark and the stout. It was good.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

Belgian wrote:I assume Hockley are proficient enough at making a blonde ale.
Ouch! That hurt!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Heard from Andrew at Hockley, who confirmed that they'll be brewing a new beer to serve as the "Tan" half of the Black & Tan.

The tasting notes on the can will read: "Hockley Black and Tan is dark mahogany in colour, with notes of coffee, smoke and chocolate and hints of sweet grainy malt yet finishes crisp, light and dry."

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

sounds good for a try